Author Topic: Calorie restriction for health  (Read 1643 times)

Offline HungryGuy

Calorie restriction for health
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
The new post on calorie restriction and hormesis is interesting. As I mentioned on my other post, I've been doing intermittent fasting (IF) for about 3 months now, and have lost essentially all the weight I need to.  I'm holding at around 160 pounds plus or minus a few.  I haven't calculated my calorie intake precisely, but it is in the range of 1500 to 2000 calories a day, eating only lunch and dinner and no snacks.

I knew in a general way that losing weight was good for heart health and health in general. And I certainly feel better since starting IF.  But I'm interested in learning more about the other health benefits, and hoping others can post their experience here or maybe link any good articles about how calorie restriction improves health.  For example, the information about how calorie reduction increases BDNF in the brain and protects against memory loss and dementia is very interesting to me.

When I raise the topic, many people say "now don't get anorexic".  That bothers me that people think of calorie restriction as the same thing as an eating disorder, which it clearly is not.  So I'm very interested in getting ammunition on why low calorie diets are not just about weight loss but are good for health.