Author Topic: Fasting / Ketosis & Blood sugar levels  (Read 4360 times)

Offline aelephant

Fasting / Ketosis & Blood sugar levels
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »
Just a quick question here. I tried to Google this but everything that came up was regarding Diabetes.

In a healthy individual fasting or on a ketogenic diet (very low carb), what do blood sugar levels look like? If this was posted on the site somewhere else and I missed it, I apologize.

I'm curious because of a recent post on LessWrong about Willpower. The author of a popular new book claims that Willpower is associated with blood sugar levels (higher levels of sugar, more willpower) and I'm curious how that connection would function in someone on a very low carb diet or fasting.

As a personal anecdote, I feel incredibly motivated fasting all morning and eating only eggs and butter for lunch.

Offline aelephant

Re: Fasting / Ketosis & Blood sugar levels
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
So there is certainly a trade-off here.

If your blood sugar is too high for too long it can damage just about every body system.

This study had some cool data:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18635428

BLUE is low-carb
RED is low-fat
YELLOW is Mediterranean diet

Fasting glucose was about 91 at the beginning in about all groups, so low-carb diet doesn't seem to have any negative effect on fasting glucose.

Low-carb diet had positive effects on :

- Insulin resistance (lowered HOMA-IR)
- Adiponectin (inversely correlated with body fat percentage in adults, the more Adiponectin you have, the less fat you are)
- Fasting insulin (lower insulin levels reduce hunger)
- C-reactive protein (lower levels indicate lower levels of inflammation)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:55:37 PM by aelephant »