Author Topic: Time-Frame - for getting back to normal.  (Read 2054 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Time-Frame - for getting back to normal.
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
Subject: Everyone wants "instant" results.  They have about a 3 week "attention span".

Regarding: Here is my estimated time-frame for getting to OBJECTIVE 20/40.  I will include an expert ophthalmologist on this subject.

The numbers you (Sara) provided are correct.  Let me add my own, thoughts.

1) If I can get to read clearly at 20 inches (50 cm), then I can function with no minus lens on my face – most of the time.

2) I can get a -2.0 diopter (from Zennioptical.com) for driving a car, and for other use – when needed.

3) Many people from the “Bates School” recommend keeping the minus off your face.  If all you are doing it reading – then  that is preliminary success at that point.

4) When I was “nearsighted”,  I would have been VERY HAPPY to objectively read 20/40 (or better) vision – so I could avoid wearing the minus all the time.

5) At -2.0 diopters, my Snellen reading would be about 20/60 or so – by self-checking on a bright Snellen (at home).  For me, this is the only way to confirm this.

6) Choosing “baby” steps, that are self-measured and objective, can help you along this path.

This is obviously my own opinion, but I have helped my family members with this process.  A great deal of this process depends on personal judgment and persistence

Failure, or refusal to even LOOK at a Snellen chart - guarantees total failure.  Don't kid yourself on that topic.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Time-Frame - for getting back to normal.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
Sara's questions:

I’ve been wondering something.

Alex always says how the first diopter comes the fastest, the next takes longer, and so on. Is this because diopters is an inverse scale?

D = 1/x where x is the distance to blur, so x = 1/D.

Going from -5D to -4D is a difference of 5 cm (20->25).

Going from -4D to -3D is a difference of 8 cm (25->33).

Going from -3D to -2D is a difference of 17 cm (33->50).

Going from -2D to -1D is a difference of 50 cm (50->100)!

This seems like hopeful knowledge for those of us starting between -4 and -5 D. It means getting to -3D isn’t that hard. Does centimeter progress occur steadily, in linear fashion, through the program? If that’s the case, the sense of struggle for those last few diopters might be a numerical illusion, since one is still steadily gaining centimeters.

Personally, I’m excited by the idea of being able to see 50 cm in front of me clearly one day. Even 40 would be awesome. Those milestones seem cooler when I think in terms of cm measurements instead of diopters.

Sara

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »
Proh is correct. The progression is affected, in most common cases, by those factors.

I’ve found that for those with good eyesight habits (4 Pillars) who started with less than -6D and improved by 2 diopters already, the subsequent diopters tend to take between 8-12 months per diopter to reverse.

Just as a frame of reference.

Some people take much longer, some are much quicker. Ciliary myopia can be several diopters, or even all (even in a -3D or higher case). I’ve seen cases like that where the person got back to 20/15 in well less than a year.

Dr. Alex

++++++

I strongly recommend that if you are serious - and do this self-checking - you log-on and read Alex's site:

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/

Todd is correct - and we all need to learn these preventive measures.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
My personal tribute to Dr. Jake Raphaelson, Dr. Kaisu Viikari, and may others who recognized the absolute need to wear the plus - before you go below 20/40 to 20/60.  I deeply appreciate Todd's independent efforts and posts along these lines.  Here is my discussion of these issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53LOQvcm0Lg&feature=youtu.be

I regret that so few people will have the fortitude to do what is necessary.  No on can address that issue - but the person who has the greatest need.

Enjoy,