Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2277 times)

Offline trw

Newbie here
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »
Hello everyone. I've enjoyed reading the information that is provided in this board. I, like many here are on a quest of getting stronger, and eyesight improvement is no exception. I would like to continue learning about it and get updates on others progress and hopefully have some to report on myself.

I'm new here and here is my story. My journey started a year and a half ago when I became broke and could no longer afford monthly contact lenses. I've worn glasses since about the 4th grade and switched later to contact lenses later in high school and relied on them completely. I remember seeing commercials for the see clearly method on tv. Which after some research I see it was blocked my a court order in 2006. I remember that interested me at the time, especially when it said see clearly without glasses or contacts or surgery, I didn't know that was possible and no one had told me about that before. Like many before, I always thought eyesight was genetic or bad luck, and had nothing to do with environmental factors. Being stung in my right eye by a bee as a kid I'm sure didnt help my development. So I made up my mind I was going to restore my vision back to before I started having eye problems. After some research I learned about William Bates and even read his book. A few other tools in my arsenal was to use convex lenses, which I read about here first I believe. And lastly, right now I am using pinhole glasses which I ordered from hong kong for $2.29. I am breaking through a plateau significantly with these and am encouraged to continue doing everything I can do to get that much sought after 20/20 acuity.

So when I started my left eye(the good eye) was -1.50 and my right was -2.75. Usually when I go to eye exams the right eye always moves up -.25 and my left may or may not, it's deteriorated at a slower rate for some reason. I suppose that is my dominant eye. So I used an eye patch to sort of give the other eye a chance to process vision. I've tried using a -1.00 on my left eye and it seemed like an over correction and was very strong for what i needed. it felt like my eye was overexposed. So I know for sure that I have really made some genuine progress. My right eye I am not sure how much it has improved. I used -1.00 on it and that is not enough to see clearly. I am going to get an eye exam in February to get an official current Rx.

Well, that's me in a nutshell, I hope to meet you all and learn from you and continue this journey and achieve that eagle eye that we all want!!

-Tim

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
Hi Tim,
It is always difficult to give you advice.  I have long experience with optometrists - some gave me incredible good advice (the minus lens is always a disaster for human vision), and other ODs tell me that 1) Long-term near has NO EFFECT on the eye's refractive status, and 2) A minus lens also has no effect.  I believe in science and confirmed that the FIRST OD was totally correct.  I also found that the 2nd ODs 1) Over-prescribe (because they think they must and 2) Produce very inaccurate prescriptions.
From the values you give of -1.5 or so, I can ESTIMATE your Snellen reading - but poorly.  You do not seem "that bad - yet".  I will try to help were I can with some objective advice.
1) Download this Snellen chart.  2) Mark the lines with a felt tip - so you can read them at 20 feet. 3) Read and report them.  (I think you could read the 20/60 line with both eyes open.  Click here, and then on the Snellen.

http://www.eyeexamonline.com/free-eye-chart-snellen.html

I am an engineer - and expect you to make the objective measurements.  I would no longer go to an OD for this critical measurement - but that is just my way of "doing things".  I like to be independent and "in control" - and that is how I do it.  I don't know how old you are, and if you are in school - but that is a part of this issue.  Let us know how you do on that chart.

Otis

Offline trw

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
Hi Otis. Thanks for responding

I am 29 years old, and have been myopic for the majority of my life. I sort of emulated the wearing of glasses as my brother did (who is severely much more myopic than I am). I sort of emulated an older siblings habits. The blackboard was indeed a little bit blurry in one eye and well I asked my mom at the time to take me to get glasses. Yeah, I had already had it in my mind I would get glasses, before even having an exam and listening to the optometrists advice. That was years ago though, and I guess after that first application of minus lenses, albeit a very light prescription, has significantly grown to what I am now. And even some even classify my condition as minor myopia, though I have trouble reading the tv guide on tv or reading fine print on the whiteboard in college (yes, I went to school late). So, I believe my ignorance as a child and embracing corrective eyewear is what has led to the deterioration of what I experience today, or moreso a year ago. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel slowly.

I hadn't thought of measuring my own visual capabilities on my own, that is an intriguing notion. I probably will still go to an optometrist eventually just to see if I have officially improved by their standards. Much of this natural remedy is not understood by most of my friends who i've attempted to tell about. And my family who has a history of eye problems doesn't really understand anything about pinhole glasses, eye exercises, or eyestrain. So I pretty much have little support other than what Im hoping will be on this board. Just reading through many of the threads, I see people speaking my language. I want to improve and believe it can be accomplished. Otis, I will have to print that out and engage in a test and report back to you my findings. I already expect to perform poorly, as I said reading text at a distance is difficult, but I can function quite well in the real world without any kind of accomodation. Thanks for the advice, and anything else you may have picked up along the way, I am open to hear about. I have discovered plus lenses, relaxation techniques, and pinhole glasses. If there is a 4th or 5th technique, hey throw it my way. I must beat this thing and save thousands of dollars over my lifetime and also save my vision which is really the most important of all now isn't it. Thanks again.

Tim