Author Topic: Anyone have experience with a Myopter?  (Read 5664 times)

Offline johnlink

Anyone have experience with a Myopter?
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
Have any of you had experience using a Myopter, Donald Rehm's invention which eliminates convergence as well as accommodation?

Short description: http://www.nearsightedness.org/myopiacenter/lower3.htm

Long description, with photos and diagram: http://www.myopia.org/myopterpaper.htm

John Link

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Anyone have experience with a Myopter?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »
Hi John,

Subject: Read all his site - for complete information.

http://www.myopia.org/

I am totallly supporting all who OBJECT to the status-quo, and seek to inform a person at 20/30 to 20/60, (about -1.0 diopters) that an alternative (plus prevention) does exist - even though difficult.  Therefore, I support Don Rehm.  Yes I have seen a Myopter - but I (personally) think it is comberson to use - but that MUST be a personal choice - as we all will agree.  Just getting a child to 1) Sit up and 2) Put a plus lens on and read at the "just blur" point - seems to be beyond the "understanding" of most people.

I don't "knock" the Myopter - but I PERSONALLY wear a plus for near - to protect my distant vision.  Further, I check my own vision (20/20) with my Snellen, and verify my refractive STATE with my own trial lens kit.  Should I "need" a minus lens (by this type of personal checking) I would obtain it from Zennioptical.com - and avoid the expense and argument I might get from an OD.  After all - HE has NO INTEREST in *ME* protecting my vision - as necessary. Why should he?

Have any of you had experience using a Myopter, Donald Rehm's invention which eliminates convergence as well as accommodation?

Short description: http://www.nearsightedness.org/myopiacenter/lower3.htm

Long description, with photos and diagram: http://www.myopia.org/myopterpaper.htm

John Link

Offline johnlink

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »

Yes I have seen a Myopter - but I (personally) think it is comberson to use

I agree that it appears cumbersome to use. Have you actually USED a Myopter, or have you just seen one? If you, or anyone else has actually USED a Myopter, I'd like to read about your experience with it.

John Link

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:50:55 AM »

Hi John,

The answer is NO.

I am an adult - not a child.  It would not fit my head.

You might contact Don Rehm and ask him about people who have worn it.

Yes I have seen a Myopter - but I (personally) think it is comberson to use

I agree that it appears cumbersome to use. Have you actually USED a Myopter, or have you just seen one? If you, or anyone else has actually USED a Myopter, I'd like to read about your experience with it.

John Link

Offline johnlink

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »

Hi John,

The answer is NO.

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the Myopter fitting an adult head. I will find out whether it would fit me. If not, then of course I would not buy it. Otherwise I might try it.

I have written to Don Rehm and he told me he gets almost no feedback about the myopter.

John Link

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »

Hi John,

The issue is that most people have NO INTEREST IN PREVENTION at the 20/40 stage.  The minus works "perfectly" at that point - so they say, "why bother".

It is not up to the OD to convince YOU to wear the plus at that point.

But, that is when is must be used - for best success.

I have prepared a "straw man" study, based on that concept.  It is on my site under "Book". You might enjoy reading it.

Otis

Hi John,

The answer is NO.

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the Myopter fitting an adult head. I will find out whether it would fit me. If not, then of course I would not buy it. Otherwise I might try it.

I have written to Don Rehm and he told me he gets almost no feedback about the myopter.

John Link

Offline johnlink

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »
Otis, I look forward to reading your book very carefully and learning everything I can.

John Link

Offline johnlink

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
I wrote to Donald Rehm to ask him the size of the Myopter and whether it would fit an adult. He told me that it WOULD fit an adult. Here is his full answer:

As stated on www.myopia.org/myopterpaper.htm the distance between lens centers is 64mm. That is adult size.

A young child can use the myopter, but the field of view will be diminished horizontally. That means more head turning. As for the dimensions of the device itself, the temple model fits my adult head with no problem. And the strap model will obviously fit anyone.

There is a picture of the temple model at the top of http://www.myopia.org/myoptermodels.htm and three pictures of the strap model lower on that page.

John Link

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Hi John,

Then order on - and try it.  That is the ONLY way you will find out.

Offline johnlink

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »

Then order on - and try it.  That is the ONLY way you will find out.

I might do that, but I am concerned about the clumsiness of the device. I will get some plus glasses from zenni and see how they feel before I decide whether I'll get a Myopter.