Author Topic: Pinhole glasses  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: Pinhole glasses
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
Thomas  Quackenbush about pinhole glasses:

http://www.naturalvisioncenter.com/Other.html

Pinhole Glasses: Another Temporary Artificial Way to See Better

1. What are they? Pinhole glasses are an artificial way to see better due to the pinhole effect. The pinhole effect simply means that an image can be more sharply focused onto camera film or a light sensor or the retina if the diaphragm is tiny enough. In fact there are cameras that can take a picture by using only a tiny pinhole and without using any lense to focus the image. Squinting (which is a "unsightly" and harmful habit) by which a person sees better, is an example of the pinhole effect. By wearing glasses that have a black, opaque lense with lots of tiny pinholes in it a person can see better due to the pinhole effect. Basically it is a artificial "trick." A person (with blurred vision) usually sees much better in bright light and worse in darkness. This is due to the pupil's pinhole effect: a smaller pupil in the bright light = better vision.
2. Many people have reported improvement of eyesight by using pinhole glasses instead of using their regular full-power prescription glasses. However, the improvement might not be due to the pinhole glasses since many people have also reported improvement of their eyesight by simply not using their full-power prescription glasses. It is a very common, if not universal, experience that the wearing of typical, full-power prescription glasses makes eyesight worse. Many people have stated that after wearing of their full-power prescription glasses, even for just a few hours, their vision is noticeably worse when they take off the glasses. Since by simply not using full-power glasses people have reported their eyesight improving; so the use of pinhole glasses could be irrelevant to the fact that someone's eyesight has improved while using pinhole glasses!
3. Pinhole glasses are not legal for driving if a person is required to wear "prescription glasses" or "corrective lenses."
4. Pinhole glasses, like sunglasses, can block out a tremendous amount of light. This is not good. The eyes are organs of light. The pineal gland and other parts of our bodies are dependent upon light for regulating day and night rhythms. Pinholes glasses could interfere with these natural functions. One might also be concerned if the pupil dilates unnaturally larger during the daytime while wearing pinhole glasses or sunglasses. The pupil is only supposed to be large in the night (or other natural dark situations.)
5. The huge amount of black area blocking the visual field could be dangerous in some situations.
6. Some of the claims I have read those selling advertising pinhole glasses are ridiculous. In fact a number of marketers of pinhole glasses have had civil action taken against them for false advertising and unsubstantiated claims.
7. There are some serious eye problems, particularly some types of cataracts, where the use of pinhole glasses can result in a person seeing better in a way that cannot be had with regular glasses, or in any other way for that matter. This improved (artificial) sight might be due to the pinhole "tunnels" of light that can pass through the lens of the eyes without being scattered as much by the opacities of the cataract(s).
8. There are several companies marketing so-called"Bates Method" pinholes glasses. Dr. Bates never mentioned, much less used or sold, pinhole glasses.
9. What is a better and much practical alternative to pinhole glasses? Simply using reduced power glasses (Chapters 3-5 in Relearning to See.) That has been the best solution for most of our natural vision students. The money that might have been spent on pinhole glasses might be better spent on massage therapy to reduce the tension in your tight neck! There is a large connection between eyesight and the neck.
10. Bottom-line? If you want try them and find out if you derive benefit from them, particularly if you have cataracts, then fine. I would most likely buy them only if the seller has a money-back guarantee.
Remember: Relearning natural vision habits and principles all day long is the key to improving eyesight naturally. The main problem with pinhole glasses is that they do not teach anyone how to have correct vision habits and principles all day long—and that is the true "Bates Method" of natural eyesight improvement.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
Sounds like a kneejerk reaction to me. I don't think people want to use pinhole all day long. In different parts of the world people are subject to drastically different amounts of daylight per day, yet their cases show that the human eye is highly adaptable to constraints (e.g., people don't end up with form-deprivation myopia, for instance). The pupil, for instance, gets bigger and smaller countless times during a day and doesn't necessarily stay at its "natural" size. It's not as that if it's natural then it's good.

Hi TomLu,
Tom  Quackenbush makes a long analyze in his book about the good effect in the eye, retina and hole body of natural UVA and UVB (not UVC) in contrast to many studies (cause cataract etc) and myopia lenses which block them "for our good". He even suggests eye sunning exercises. So this is what he means and not so much that the pupil gets more bigger and smaller putting on and off pinhole glasses or bigger in average during daytime when supposed to be smaller.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:22:47 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
i just wondered, can pinhole glasses do any harm because it artificially generates a very clear, sometimes perfect image? I also notice sometimes i feel a "strain" when i wear these glasses.