Author Topic: The "Medical Mind" - with all due respect.  (Read 2060 times)

Offline OtisBrown

The "Medical Mind" - with all due respect.
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:09 AM »
Subject: I love medical people - but they have "gone blind" about plus-prevention.

I go to an ophthalmologist for MEDICAL issues and problems.  But I never expect them to

1) Help me with prevention, when I still read the 20/40 to 20/50 line
2) Conduct a TRUE plus-prevention study.
3) Have an intelligent discussion about WHY it would be wise to wear a plus for all close work, when  I have 20/40 - and could get out of it.

It is not my intention to "attack" or "insult" anyone who is "medical".  But I often wondered why I never receive ANY warning about my "close work habits", followed by the "wearing of an excessive minus - all the time.  It is this failure to give ANY warning about these two problems that concerns me the most.  A man, taught the intellectual blindness that ALL REFRACTIVE STATES are "heredity", will never consider the possibility that, with strong fortitude and resolve, you can slowly clear your Snellen from 20/60 to better-than 20/40 - in about nine months.  I have attempted to DISCUSS prevention with these doctors - but it always results in an "angry argument", to the effect that *I* think I am "practicing medicine".  I don't want to belabor this topic, because EQUALLY there are doctors who call the minus "Poison glasses for children", and I would add that "long-term near", with no plus, is "equal poison", and no OD will tell you that either.  I advocate a preventive study - but I always "encounter" this type of person.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: The "Medical Mind" - with all due respect.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »
Subject:  If you are working on plus-prevention - here is the "counter argument" from a medical person that you will encounter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Ve28jfO7Y&feature=related

This is why I have my own Snellen and (with more skill) my own "test lenses" to measure my refractive STATE myself.  When I went for my last exam (after cataract surgery), I confirmed I had 20/20 at home, with no lens.  When I went into the ODs, he put a Phoropter in front of my face, and started to PRESCRIBE a lens, with "astigmatism".  Had I not said anything,  I am certain I would have received some sort of lens for $160 or so.  I did not want to insult the person making the measurements, but I pushed the Phoropter aside, and read the 20/20 line for him.  Then I said that if I "needed" plus glasses - I would get them at the drug store.

The OD or MD in his office simply does not believe that any type of prevention is possible, or he makes the judgment that PREVENTION is NEVER a medical responsibility.  Or when he tells you that it will be IMPOSSIBLE - he it telling you that if you want plus-prevention -  you must "do it yourself".  That is the reason we are here and reviewing these issues.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:18 AM »
Subject:  I like to know why I MUST wear a plus for ALL CLOSE WORK that I must do.

I know that (at 20/50) wearing a plus - is something that most people will not do.  I understand WHY they will not do it.  But for the wise, at 20/50, you finally realized that the ONLY person who is concerned with these technical issues - is YOURSELF.  Here is a nice person, and an optometrists who recommended that she wear a "plus" for all close work.  She is doing it - but I don't think she knows why it is 1) Wise, 2) Necessary and 3) Will happen if she does not wear it (assuming she is in a college with work-intensive close work REQUIRED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjnNM0VYM4

I know that some of you are more "technical" than others - but I always look for "technical proof" that negative status can be prevented - if you do it yourself.  I hope this video helps you understand prevention to be difficult - but possible.

Offline saksham

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
no matter even if I improve or reverse my myopic condition completely
I will always keep a super bad opinion about him
he didnt even tried to tell me ... let alone talk of prevention by him
if he had shown a bit of responsibility at that time
I wouldn't have ended up as a severly myopic person

saksham

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
Dear Saksham,

Subject:  I am not an, "excessive critic" - but this pure "medical attitude" is destructive.

Regarding:  But even for a wise parent - like Peter - will find that it is almost impossible to get a young man to UNDERSTAND and consistently wear a strong plus lens - when he still has 20/40 to 20/60 vision.

If a "medical person" were to give me a lecture - when I was still reading the 20/50 line - then THAT is what the lecture would be about.  The fact that people are "scared" of the "plus" and scared of any doctor who MIGHT sit you down and tell you scientific truth.  He SHOULD tell you that, at 20/50 and -1.0 diopters, a 10 years-old and in school, that each year you do nothing (don't read with a plus), your refractive STATE will go down at a PROVEN RATE OF -1/2 DIOPTER PER YEAR.  This is not a "scare tactic" - it is just scientific truth.  If I was TOLD THAT, it would make plus-prevention and "either-or" proposition for *me* - being smart enough to understand the consequences of not wearing the plus correctly at that point.

I "built a fire" under my sister's children about this subject.  They wore the plus - and always passed the DMV requirements.  The more active young man - wore the plus almost all the time.  But this is VERY "individual" - that this work be personally done.

For others now working with the plus, Steven, Todd and Shadowfoot, I would keep this idea in mind.   The "medical person" is never going to help you ore me - and, if you are lucky and intelligence, you can "save yourself" if you have that crucial persistence, and will actually monitor your Snellen.

no matter even if I improve or reverse my myopic condition completely
I will always keep a super bad opinion about him
he didnt even tried to tell me ... let alone talk of prevention by him
if he had shown a bit of responsibility at that time
I wouldn't have ended up as a severly myopic person

saksham

Offline saksham

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
I do have the personal persistence to pursue a reduce prescription or a perfect visual acuity