Author Topic: degree of plus lens  (Read 5132 times)

Offline saksham

degree of plus lens
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
hello everyone,
after going through many forums,blogs and websites i was very happy that there is still hope in myopic cases
but i am still confused about the degree i should use for reading plus glasses
i am -6.25(L) & -6.0(R)(SPHERICAL)
as Todd did,I have lowered my current prescription by .5D & .25 D
i will be receiving my new glasses of -5.75D(R) & -6.0D
and plus lenses of +4.5D (R) & 4.75D(L)
Is my calculation correct?(P.S correct me if i am wrong)
i will be using these glasses only for 1-2 hours perday and i will try to wear my prescribed one as less as possible
I will also get my secret to perfect vision by 21st march which i ordered on 10th march and i will be following the exercises daily
 i know that reversing even .5D is not a days or months work and this is no get yourself perfect vision in 30 days
it took a long time to get my eyes to get to this point
i also donot agree with steven on using a strong plus all day BECAUSE OUR GOAL IS TO HELP THE EYE TO ADAPT AND NOT TO FORCE
i I am using a snellen that tells me to stand at a distance of 40.6cms
i will be constantly checking for any improvements

thank you
saksham

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: degree of plus lens
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
Saksham,

For distance (walking, movies, driving), you should use a reduced prescription: -5.75 (L), -5.50 (R).  I'm not sure why you did not subtract 0.5 diopters from the right eye in the glasses you ordered.  You wrote -6.0 D.

For reading and computers, you DO NOT need plus lenses!!  Plus lenses are useful only when your myopia is fairly week and you can still easily read books and see the computer without glasses.  But with your strong myopia, you cannot see more than about 16-17 cm (6 or 7 inches) in front of you without glasses.  Wearing plus lenses will only decrease this distance!  You don't want that.

In your case, start your print pushing without wearing any glasses at all. Read what I have written about how to get started when your myopia is very strong:
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,8.msg423.html#msg423

Welcome to the forum

Offline saksham

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
hello everyone
thank you mr Becker for helping me out on this one
and I didnt got your first point
 is reducing -.25 from both eyes not enough?
prescription was. -6 for r and -6.25 for l so igot a new one with 5.75 for r and -6.0 for l
I have shaved -.25 from both eyes
and I will be now print pushing only with naked eye
once again
thankyou
saksham

Offline saksham

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
well it seems to be a long journey for me to get to the point where I will need to use plus lenses
but I am up to it
but you,todd have mentioned to wear undercorrection by 1-1.5 d whereas I have only undercorrected by .25 D
so it means I have taken a wrong step by only shaving. .25
Have i??
I can easily live with a naked eye indoors
despite being highly myopic
so my question is - is it to better to be naked eye indoors or is it better to wear the undercorrected glasses indoors
SAKSHAM
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:11:09 AM by saksham »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
Hi Sakshm,
Subject: There is no "perfect" way to suggest a plus for you - here it the reason.

1)  The "simple" suggestion is to just subtract -2.5 from your current prescription and use that for reading.  That *assumes" that the -5 diopter is correct. 

2) Take the minus off - and see at what distance you can read.  Is it 8 inches?  I is 10 inches?  Is it 16 inches?  Can your read comfortably at 20 inches?

3)  I had a friend, Dennis Romish.  I saw him where I worked.  He had a -4 diopter lens on -  for a long time.  ON HIS OWN, he stopped wearing the minus for several weeks, and then found he could read some of the Snellen.  I was AMAZED!  Had I suggested he "reduce" his prescription to -3.75 diopters - that would have been the wrong thing to do.  Instead - he looked out the window and could see many things that would most people with a -4 diopter - COULD NOT SEE.  For him, no lens for near was the right idea.  He even got a weak plus and started wearing it.  Finally - I suggest he go ATTEMPT to pass  the STATE DMV test (at 20/40). He did!  While this is unusual - it does happen.  (I will never attempt to explain WHY it happened.)  This is why no one can "mechanically" recommend a "plus" until you do some additional checking - like getting a Snellen and reading it.  If you can read the 20/200 line - that is a start.

4) If there are 10 people posting here - they you have 10 experts.  Only you ALONE can decide exactly what path you wish to follow.  But it does help to know that Todd was successful - as well as others.  All topics are open - and we all will help you as best we can!

hello everyone,
after going through many forums,blogs and websites i was very happy that there is still hope in myopic cases
i will be using these glasses only for 1-2 hours perday and i will try to wear my prescribed one as less as possible
I will also get my secret to perfect vision by 21st march which i ordered on 10th march and i will be following the exercises daily
 i know that reversing even .5D is not a days or months work and this is no get yourself perfect vision in 30 days
it took a long time to get my eyes to get to this point
i also donot agree with steven on using a strong plus all day BECAUSE OUR GOAL IS TO HELP THE EYE TO ADAPT AND NOT TO FORCE
i I am using a snellen that tells me to stand at a distance of 40.6cms
i will be constantly checking for any improvements

thank you
saksham

Offline johnlink

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »

1)  The "simple" suggestion is to just subtract -2.5 from your current prescription and use that for reading.

That's equivalent to saying to add 2.5 to your current prescription for distance. And whether the number to add is 2.5 or something else depends upon the distance at which the reading is to be done. The smaller the distance the higher the number to add. For example, I just got a pair of +1.75 glasses that I plan to use over my contacts when working on my computer whose monitor is about 22.5 inches away from my eyes. I chose +1.75 because (1/1.75) meters = 22.5 inches. Adding 2.5 would be appropriate for reading at about 15.75 inches because (1/2.5) meters = 15.75 inches.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:42:21 PM by johnlink »

Offline johnlink

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
hello everyone,

Assuming that your -5.75R and -6.00L are about correct for you for distance, your +4.5R and +4.75L are not at all appropriate for reading. Let's assume you were going to read at about 13 inches, which is 1/3 meter. You would then add 3.00 (because it's the reciprocal of 1/3) to -5.75 and -6.00:

-5.75 + 3.00 = -2.75 R
-6.00 + 3.00 = -3.00 L

What is the calculation you did to obtain +4.5R and +4.75L?

Offline johnlink

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »

Plus lenses are useful only when your myopia is fairly week and you can still easily read books and see the computer without glasses.  But with your strong myopia, you cannot see more than about 16-17 cm (6 or 7 inches) in front of you without glasses.  Wearing plus lenses will only decrease this distance!  You don't want that.

In your case, start your print pushing without wearing any glasses at all. Read what I have written about how to get started when your myopia is very strong:
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,8.msg423.html#msg423

Todd, I agree with all you say above, except for the advice you give in http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,8.msg423.html#msg423 which contradicts what you wrote above. In that earlier thread you suggested that someone with a distance prescription of -4.50 use +1.00 glasses for reading. That would put his far point at 5.50D, or just over 7 inches! For someone with a distance prescription of -4.50D who reads at 13 inches it would be appropriate to use reading glasses of -1.50 (= -4.50 + 3.00). Yes, that's -1.50, not +1.50.

Offline saksham

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
hello everyone,

I only reduced.   .25D from each lens because in the article about how to reverse myopia  on this website said that glasses undercorrected by .75 D or more result in myopic growth. (IRDT Theory)
so I undercorrected by  -.25 D
(P.S CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG):-)

I selected +4 because many people on this website were using glasses that were reduced by 2 diopter and were tgen converted in plus
 ican easily do without my prescribed glsses indoors (naked eye)
my question is whether it is good to wear undercorrected glasses by .25D that I ordered or stay neked eye indoors?

One more question is that today I did print pushing with naked eye and I felt discomfort after 2 minutes
so I want to ask was I doing the right thing
and can the discomfort I felt make me more myopic?

above otis just said that his friend started to not wear prescribed glasses. I think thats the same yhst I am doing
I only keep them open and dont let them focus on any thing close

thank you
saksham

Offline johnlink

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:10:49 PM »
saksham, what is the calculation you did to obtain +4.5R and +4.75L for reading glasses? Do you understand the reasoning behind the calculations I did that would suggest you use -2.75R and -3.00L for reading?

Offline saksham

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
hi John,

ii read that for example, someone has. - 3.35 D
so they were using a +1.25. i.e reduce about 2D from your current prescription and use it as a plus
thats the same I tried. I reduced about 2D from each eye and civerted as a plus

thank you
saksham

Offline johnlink

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
hi John,

ii read that for example, someone has. - 3.35 D
so they were using a +1.25. i.e reduce about 2D from your current prescription and use it as a plus
thats the same I tried. I reduced about 2D from each eye and civerted as a plus

Either what you've read was incorrect or you've misunderstood what you read. If someone just cleared 20/20 with -3.25 then we would add 2.00 to -3.25 to obtain -1.25, not +1.25. The switch from -1.25 to +1.25 ("use it as a plus") makes no sense.

Adding 2.00 to go from distance glasses to reading glasses is appropriate if the reading is done at 1/2 meter. Otherwise a different amount would be added, as I've explained above.

Does what I've written makes sense to you?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:26:17 PM by johnlink »

Offline saksham

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
hi John
 icompletely understand the point and I must admit it was a blunder on my side

one more thing I would like to share with you and all the community is-

Right now I have a new pair of glasseswhich are -5.75(R) and -6.00(L) Which are down by .25D For each glasses There is a point I my bedroom from where I observe my clock I had no problem with the prescribed glasses it was very sharp But with the new one the numbers are just om the edge of blur

I DO HAVE A GOAL IN MY MIND FOR THE UPCOMING MONTH I.e to read the clock numerals clearly with the undercorrected glasses

thank you
saksham

Offline johnlink

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
hi John
 icompletely understand the point and I must admit it was a blunder on my side

Good. Given your current vision, those reading glasses would be appropriate for reading at a distance of about 4 inches from your eyes. Any further away and I expect everything will be blurry.

one more thing I would like to share with you and all the community is-

Right now I have a new pair of glasseswhich are -5.75(R) and -6.00(L) Which are down by .25D For each glasses There is a point I my bedroom from where I observe my clock I had no problem with the prescribed glasses it was very sharp But with the new one the numbers are just om the edge of blur

I DO HAVE A GOAL IN MY MIND FOR THE UPCOMING MONTH I.e to read the clock numerals clearly with the undercorrected glasses

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Offline saksham

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
hi,
One more question is that today I did print
pushing with naked eye and I felt discomfort
after 2 minutes
so I want to ask was I doing the right thing
and can the discomfort I felt make me more
myopic?

saksham