Author Topic: Why the "Myopia Silence" exists in optometrists.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Why the "Myopia Silence" exists in optometrists.
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »
Subject: I think this issue needs major emphasis.

Regarding:  Todd's discovery that when he QUIT wearing his minus lens - his vision got BETTER.  Why did not the OD volunteer that information to Todd.  Why did he have to "discovery" plus-prevention "on his own"?

Peter> I have come to the understanding of the malpractice issue. It was
stated fairly clearly by Dr. Judy (optometrist) on the i-see forum when she mentioned the
quandry of "not proven to work in studies, and carries risk". This leads back
to the AC:A or AC:C ratios that have been discussed on this forum and elsewhere
substantially.

Otis> So the OD is afraid of telling you anything, specifically when you have 20/40 to 20/60 (-1.0 diopters) and with rather intensive commitment, could gradually change  your refractive STATE by +1.0 diopters, and exceed the 20/40 line, and eventually the 20/20 line. 

Otis> The entire reason is this 1) They are afraid you will not wear the plus properly and 2) You will sue them for ATTEMPTING to conduct "not-standard" practice.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Why the "Myopia Silence" exists in optometrists.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »
Otis> It is obvious (from Raphaelson's statements) that NO OD CAN EVER BE
INVOLVED WITH THIS. So I totally agree with Judy - she will never be involved
with prevention - and I MUST UNDERSTAND IT THAT WAY.

Otis> Peter, You also raised the LEGAL ISSUE. That if she even SUGGESTS it, and you (the patient) think ANYTHING
HAPPENED - you can sue her into oblivion. Again - I realized the final TRUTH OF
THAT REALITY. If you want to AVOID ENTRY - you must realize THAT NO OD WILL
HELP YOU.

Otis> This is why some people "discover" that, by avoiding the OD, and checking their own vision, they can, with great fortitude
SLOWLY clear their vision back to normal.  I regret this TRUTH - but if you wish to protect your distant vision for life - you will
have to find the personal commitment to "do it yourself" - and this is indeed the reason why I self-check both my
visual acuity and my refractive STATE.