Author Topic: High Intensity Interval Training  (Read 4231 times)

Offline SUGARDUDE

High Intensity Interval Training
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
This was mentioned by Todd in his interview.  Anybody here do this?  Is it simply changing back and forth from jogging to running?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: High Intensity Interval Training
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
Thanks for starting this post, Sugardude.  I'll throw out a first response to your question, but I hope others will join in.

What HIIT means to me is varying the pace of your workout, during the workout, to include brief periods of intense, strenuous activity alternating with periods of slower pace exercise or rest.  The idea is to expand strength or aerobic capacity by pushing it to the limit for short periods.  I've done this with weight-lifting (including a few exercises where I either lift to the limit or push things until I feel the burn and can't eek out a single additional repetition.  I've also done it when I run, where I'll move at a fairly aerobic pace, but add in some all-out sprints or hill runs that last about 20-30 seconds.  If I run for an hour, I might throw in 3 or 4 of these "interval" sprints.

I really haven't researched which techniques work best.  The above is based on limited reading and my own intuitive approach.  I'd be interested to know what works best for others.

Offline SUGARDUDE

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:51 PM »
My goal is to do 30 minutes on the treadmill at speed 6.0 while increasing to speed 8.0 for 20 second intervals each minute.

I'm working up to this one interval at a time. Today I started with one spped burst at the 28 minute mark. Tomorrow I'll increase it to the 26 and 28 minute mark and continue from there.

A week ago I couldn't even complete 30 minutes so I'm taking it slow.

Offline Renfred

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »
My goal is to do 30 minutes on the treadmill at speed 6.0 while increasing to speed 8.0 for 20 second intervals each minute.

I'm working up to this one interval at a time. Today I started with one spped burst at the 28 minute mark. Tomorrow I'll increase it to the 26 and 28 minute mark and continue from there.

A week ago I couldn't even complete 30 minutes so I'm taking it slow.

Hey dear, I think that you will soon achieve your goal by 30 minutes treadmill and also have some veggies and some diet foods along with this.... Best of luck dear fellow.......

Offline Patrea

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:29:10 AM »
The best combination I have found after many years experimentation is:-
Tabata - see various web references
Big 5 - see http://www.cbass.com/success_stories11.htm

Both are HIIT and conform v much with hormesis - effective and they are also quick and fun.

My wekly program is usually:-

Mon - Big 5 torso + back raises
Wed - Tabata
Fri - Big 5 legs + abs

every day includes a sauna, to the point of 'failure' – hormesis again

Offline srlaserguy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
I do a four minute tabata twice a week. Four minutes of hell, but it really keeps me in aerobic shape without spending hours of mind numbing boring running.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:56:52 PM by srlaserguy »

Offline aelephant

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:38 AM »
1st post, hope my input is appreciated in this thread.

Intensity is key in HIIT, which is why I am skeptical of doing it on a treadmill. Treadmills change speed slowly, are difficult to adjust when sprinting and "fix you" at a certain rate of speed. Given a decent sized space, it'd be much easier to do all out sprints (make sure to warm up!) alternated with walking or jogging at a much slower pace.

Another thing I wanted to note is that HIIT seems to me like a fusion of the physiological (hormesis) and the psychological (opponent-process or hedonic adaptation). By increasing the intensity of A, you can lengthen and strengthen B (the opponent process). I would imagine the more painful and frequent your HIIT sessions are, the more rewarding they would become.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:31:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum, aelephant!

I agree with you that treadmills are not terribly worthwhile. I think that alternating sprints are great.  I think you make a good observation that the benefit can be related to the opponent-process theory.  I would not take it as far as saying the A process  should be "painful"; by the principles of hormesis I would have to say that intensity should be ramped up to the edge of ability and discomfort, but never actually veer into pain.  I always take pain seriously, as a sign that I've ventured too far.  Rest and recovery are also important to retain lasting benefits.

Good luck and keep contributing here!

Todd

Offline aelephant

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 05:52:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, aelephant!

Good luck and keep contributing here!

Todd

Thanks for the clarification Todd.

There is an important distinction between pushing oneself for sake of improvement and dangerous masochism. Safety and freedom from personal injury should be tantamount for anyone engaging in self-experimentation and exercise is no different. I happen to be physically active and know the difference between a tolerable, "good" pain and the pain that means I must stop. If anyone is unsure of the difference in their own case, they should always err on the side of caution!