Author Topic: Tinnitus, after high pitch whistle sound.  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Steven

Tinnitus, after high pitch whistle sound.
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »
After taking a ride with other cyclists - 3000 people, i used a normal plastic whistle that gave a high pitch sound like any whistle does.

I think i may have over used the whistle a little bit, since i got some ringing in the ears. (tinnitus)
Another cyclist that used the whistle about the same as me, had his ringing go away later that day.

1. After 72 hours i took a good antibiotic to clean any trace of otitis. I am now in the middle of the treatment.

2. I cleaned my ears 2-3 times with sticks and water and used wool to protect the ears from external sound.

The ringing is still there. Any help is welcomed.
After sleep and no noise, usually the ear seems to relax more and the ringing to go away.

If you have experience with this i welcome it.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:45:11 AM by Steven »

Offline johnlink

Re: Tinnitus, after high pitch whistle sound.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
I experience a constant and variable high-pitched noise in my hearing, so I am interested in anything anyone has to offer on this topic.

Offline Steven

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
I experience a constant and variable high-pitched noise in my hearing, so I am interested in anything anyone has to offer on this topic.

Do you have hypertension ?
Did you listened to load music or high pitch sounds ?

Offline johnlink

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
My blood pressure is not high when I'm at rest (all the cycling I do really pays off) and I do not listen to particularly loud music.

Offline Steven

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
My blood pressure is not high when I'm at rest (all the cycling I do really pays off) and I do not listen to particularly loud music.

Same here, no high blood pressure, no loud music.

Do you remember the first time and the circumstances when you got this permanent high pitch sound in the ear ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:32:54 PM by Steven »

Offline johnlink

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »

Same here, no high blood pressure, no load music.

Do you remember the first time and the circumstances when you got this permanent high pitch sound in the ear ?

I presume you meant to write "loud music".

I've had this noise going for decades. I have no idea when it started, but it must have been by 1968, when I was 14. I just turned 59.

Offline Steven

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »
Yes i meant loud.

Hmm, that is strange indeed. What did your doctor say about the possible cause ?
What could be your cause at 14 year old ?
Did the doctor cleaned your ear with a substance to remove any residue ?

After i searched about Tinnitus i came to the conclusion that it is a form of Hyperacusis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis
http://ringinginears.net/2007-10-10/hyperacusis-and-tinnitus/

"As many as 86% of hyperacusis sufferers also have tinnitus."

See this article :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120528180810.htm

"Tinnitus

Tinnitus is a phenomenon of the nervous system connected to the ear, characterized by perception of a ringing or beating sound (often perceived as sinusoidal) with no external source.

This sound may be a quiet background noise, or loud enough to drown out all outside sounds.

It is sometimes refered to as "the club disease" as many people get temporary tinnitus at loud clubs or concerts.

Here some news in scientific field about new developments. (the link above is from there, they update it regularly)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/mind_brain/tinnitus/ (scroll down, change pages)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:29:06 AM by Steven »

Offline johnlink

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:25:59 AM »
Yes i meant loud.

Hmm, that is strange indeed. What did your doctor say about the possible cause ?

I saw an otolaryngologist a few years ago.I don't remember him saying what the cause of the noise might be and the report I have done not say.

Good question about the cause at 14 years old.

My doctor has not cleaned my ears but I have an annual exam that includes my ears so I presume she saw nothing to be removed. I'll have her take another look when I see her in early April.

Offline Steven

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Yes i meant loud.

I saw an otolaryngologist a few years ago.I don't remember him saying what the cause of the noise might be and the report I have done not say.

Good question about the cause at 14 years old.

My doctor has not cleaned my ears but I have an annual exam that includes my ears so I presume she saw nothing to be removed. I'll have her take another look when I see her in early April.

Usually they put a substance in the ear that is like mineral water (that never stops from agitating itself), you wait on one side for that substance to dissolve all dead tissue & Earwax then they use an "ear vacuum cleaner" to get things out. If that doesn't work they additionally use a water syringe to get the dead tissue out for sure.

I did that in the past when dead tissue accumulated and created a wax plug with dead skin tissue compressed toghether.

I will go in April again myself for a control to the same doctor and see why is my ear ringing.

How hard would you describe your ringing ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:20:58 AM by Steven »

Offline johnlink

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
Usually they put a substance in the ear that is like mineral water (that never stops from agitating itself), you wait on one side for that substance to dissolve all dead tissue & Earwax then they use an "ear vacuum cleaner" to get things out. If that doesn't work they additionally use a water syringe to get the dead tissue out for sure.

I will look into having my doctor do that. What is used to clean the ear?

Not very loud. Most of the time I don't notice it at all. Nevertheless I would love to reduce or eliminate it.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
I've had this noise going for decades. I have no idea when it started, but it must have been by 1968, when I was 14. I just turned 59.

John,

A close friend of mine has tinnitus, which was exacerbated by exposure to a loud police siren suddenly going off.  He is exploring treatments that do not involve any drugs or surgery.  I'm particularly impressed with one method that is based upon neuroplasticity -- the adaptivity of the brain.  It is based on the idea that tinnitus often results from a merging of frequency channels in the brain's auditory centers. The treatment involves listening to special music tracks that retrain the brain to separate out these frequencies, thereby alleviating the tinnitus.  This approach is very much consonant with hormesis.  And as a musician yourself, I think you would find this especially intriguing.

There are  number of products or programs that appear to have high success rates.

http://www.beyondtinnitus.com
http://neuromonics.com/news-release-neuromonics-unveils-new-device-to-relieve-mild-moderate-tinnitus-at-audiology-now/

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this approach.

Todd

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:12:34 PM by Todd Becker »

Offline Steven

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »

Not very loud. Most of the time I don't notice it at all. Nevertheless I would love to reduce or eliminate it.

Not sure what it is. The last time the doctor simply opened a small bottle with the substance and put it all in my ear. The sound it makes is very loud and disturbing (more powerful than a whistle because it is near your ear drum). It's a special chemical that is used regularly for dissolving wax and dead tissue and also acts as an antiseptic. On a second thought i am pretty sure it was Hydrogen peroxide.

For me when it's silence i hear more clearly or when i put my hands near the ears.
I am still taking the antibiotic but no improvement so far, so it was not ottitis.

I will go to the doctor and tell her that i used a whistle. But i still suspect the ears got some dead tissue compressed again.

She said, (my doctor, last time) i had small opening of the ears and that means wax and dead tissue will compress faster and i will need such interventions regularly. (like every 1-2-3 years)

She also said to avoid ear sticks because they only make the wax and dead tissue to compress more. Simply use water and the towel and it's enough.

But when things get stuck you can only use Hydrogen peroxide + ear vacuum cleaner and an extra water syringe if it still refuses to get out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:16:46 AM by Steven »

Offline johnlink

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »

i am pretty sure it was Hydrogen peroxide.

That's what I guessed. Will you verify that with your doctor and let us know?

Offline Steven

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide it is.

Will go this month for that control.

Offline Steven

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 04:25:38 AM »
Try this game after you went to a doctor and you are sure it's not wax or dead tissue. (the doctor cleaned both ears)

http://plasticity.szynalski.com/
http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tinnitus.htm