Author Topic: Improvement after 8 weeks: 0.25D in left eye/0.50D in right eye  (Read 6159 times)

Offline johnlink

As I reported in http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,464.0.html I've been using reading glasses of +1.75D over my contact lenses since March 14. On May 13 I returned to my optometrist and was able to see the 20/15 line quite easily. I left the exam with a new prescription that reduces the power in the left lens by 0.25D and in the right eye by 0.50D.

Since August of 2010 I have gone to the University Eye Center to obtain my prescriptions for contact lenses. I started going there because I was fed up with the poor service I was getting at the large chains such as General Vision Services. At the University Eye Center I knew I would be examined by an intern supervised by someone with decades of experience. I was happy to be a guinea pig for the new optometrists.
http://www.sunyopt.edu/uec/

At the exam on May 13 the intern told me that she couldn't give me a weaker prescription because I needed sharp vision to ride my bike through Manhattan. When the supervisor asked me my goal I told him it was to eliminate my need for contact lenses. He responded that he's been in the business a long time and it (my goal) isn't going to happen. When I reminded him that I had already made improvement he said it was nothing. I repeatedly told both the intern and the supervisor that the only reason I was there was to get a weaker prescription. Eventually we went out into a well-lit hall and I stood a substantial distance from a sign, but close enough to read it. The supervisor put a +0.25 lens in front of my left eye and a +0.50 lens in front of my right eye. I said that I could live with that (quite easily, given that I was seeing 20/20). He told the intern to write the weaker prescription and include in the report that they advised against the change but that the patient was adamant. I told them I agreed with all of that.

Although my impression is that the astigmatism in my right eye had diminished, the intern and supervisor said that it had not. I told the supervisor that without my contact lenses lines close to vertical are darkest (which agrees with my prescription that says axis=010), but with my toric right contact lens the lines 90 degrees away from that are darkest. He said he couldn't explain it. I think it means I'm overcorrected for astigmatism, even though the intern said their practice is to under-correct and that I was under-corrected. I asked the supervisor to let me look through a cylindrical lens that would weaken the correction for astigmatism, but he didn't have any available. I need to do further investigation, and probably purchase some cylindrical lenses of various powers.

When I returned home I called www.1800contacts.com and asked how I could most quickly obtain new lenses. I was asked to fax the prescription and was told they would send out the new lenses along with a mailing label for the unused lenses. 1800contacts paid for the shipping both ways and charged me nothing for the new lenses which arrived three days later.

Since the new lenses arrived things have been very hectic and I did not have time to make careful measurements with my naked eyes, with my old lenses, and with my new lenses, so I continued to use the old lenses so that I would have a clear baseline before I started making improvements with the new lenses. Today I made those measurements and I am now wearing the new lenses. As I type this of course I'm wearing my +1.75 reading glasses over my contacts. As long as I sit upright I have a little bit of blur when I look at my computer monitor, just as I did when I first used those reading glasses with my previous contacts. I wonder how long it will be before there is no blur.

I suspect that most of the improvement I made in the two months from March 14 through May 13 took place in the first month. I'm not certain about that because I did not make careful measurements, but I will now do that regularly. If my hunch is right I could have gotten the weaker prescription a month ago. We'll see how long it takes before the next weakened prescription. This time I will go for an exam as soon as I've made an improvement of 0.25 diopters in both eyes.

I hope that my report will provide encouragement to anyone who would like to improve his vision.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:18:30 PM by johnlink »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Improvement after 8 weeks: 0.25D in left eye/0.50D in right eye
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
Hi John,

Congratulations are in order.  In talking to many people about this interesting subject - I always find that each person must find "his own way" to do  prevention.  I am in no sense a critic - of anyone.  But each person, (like Todd, Shadowfoot, Colgate, and Severson) sees his own solution.  The best we can do is to  just present our degree of success, and continue on the path we have chosen to slowly clear our Snellen chart back to normal.

Thanks!
Otis

Offline peterg

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Congrats John.

Was their recommended perscription equal to your previous perscription, or was it already an improvement with you requesting it to be knocked down further?

At the exam on May 13 the intern told me that she couldn't give me a weaker prescription because I needed sharp vision to ride my bike through Manhattan. When the supervisor asked me my goal I told him it was to eliminate my need for contact lenses. He responded that he's been in the business a long time and it (my goal) isn't going to happen. When I reminded him that I had already made improvement he said it was nothing. I repeatedly told both the intern and the supervisor that the only reason I was there was to get a weaker prescription. Eventually we went out into a well-lit hall and I stood a substantial distance from a sign, but close enough to read it. The supervisor put a +0.25 lens in front of my left eye and a +0.50 lens in front of my right eye. I said that I could live with that (quite easily, given that I was seeing 20/20). He told the intern to write the weaker prescription and include in the report that they advised against the change but that the patient was adamant. I told them I agreed with all of that.

Why go through all that?  In metro NY you probably have access to a lot of behavioral optometrists who will heed to your wishes without blinking an eye.

Peter

Offline johnlink

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
Their recommendation was to keep the prescription I was given in January of this year, which was the same prescription I've had for at least three years.

Although I would prefer to have the encouragement of my optometrist rather than discouragement, there was no fee charged because the May 13 exam was considered a follow-up to my January exam. If they start charging me a $50 co-pay every time I need to change my prescription by .25 diopters I will look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:35:20 PM by johnlink »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:34 AM »
Hi Peter and John,

I also congratulate John on his successful improvement by 0.25 diopters.

But the true problem I have, is their total rejection of a "reduced" minus lens, insisting that *I* must have 20/15 vision for riding a bicycle.

That is why I check my own Snellen for naked-eye 20/40 vision.  If I pass the DMV test, then I will not get a "reduced" prescription.  That means NO prescription (provided I pass the DMV test.)  It is this dispute that is most serious.  Further, glasses or contacts cost about $200, and the exam, about $200.  The OD will not help, because they feel they are legally bound to give you very strong minus lens (even when you pass the 20/40 line).  The feel that if *ANYTHING* happens, they will get SUED for mal-practice.  I think they are right - but it just means that if *I* want a reduced minus lens - I have no choice but to get it myself from Zennioptical.

I have a legal obligation to objectively read the 20/40 line - myself.  By my own efforts, I would keep the minus lens off my face, and wear the plus for all close work, and expect further "Snellen clearing" up to 20/25 and 20/20, under my own control, and by my own wisdom.

But equally, I recognize that the long-term persistence to achieve that personal goal - is very difficult for almost all of us.  It is just that I realize WHY I have no choice but to do all of this under my control.

Congrats John.

Was their recommended perscription equal to your previous perscription, or was it already an improvement with you requesting it to be knocked down further?

Why go through all that?  In metro NY you probably have access to a lot of behavioral optometrists who will heed to your wishes without blinking an eye.

Peter

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
Hi Peter, Todd and John,

Subject: Why "working with and OD" - is impossible.

I thank this OD for this remark:

John>  At the exam on May 13 the intern told me that she couldn't give me a weaker prescription because I needed sharp vision to ride my bike through Manhattan.  When the supervisor asked me my goal I told him it was to eliminate my need for contact lenses.  He responded that...

Optometrist>  That he's been in the business a long time and it (my goal) isn't going to happen...

+++++

I have seen  this in many ways.  If an OD tells you that "getting back from 20/200 to 20/40 - IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN", and you try to CONVINCE HIM OF YOUR GETTING BACK TO 20/40...

Guess what - you are wasting you time, money and effort with that person.  You are also kidding yourself that you are going to accomplish anything at all.

I hope I am not harsh in this judgment ... but in the end you have to make your own choices about getting back to normal.  (20/40 or better).

There are people who will claim that I am "practicing medicine" when I get my vision back to normal by wearing the plus, and checking my own Snellen and refractive state.  That is false.  I am practicing science on myself.  I know each of you will have your own judgment on that issue.

Offline Steven

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
As I reported in http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,464.0.html I've been using reading glasses of +1.75D over my contact lenses since March 14. On May 13 I returned to my optometrist and was able to see the 20/15 line quite easily. I left the exam with a new prescription that reduces the power in the left lens by 0.25D and in the right eye by 0.50D.

Since August of 2010 I have gone to the University Eye Center to obtain my prescriptions for contact lenses. I started going there because I was fed up with the poor service I was getting at the large chains such as General Vision Services. At the University Eye Center I knew I would be examined by an intern supervised by someone with decades of experience. I was happy to be a guinea pig for the new optometrists.

Although my impression is that the astigmatism in my right eye had diminished, the intern and supervisor said that it had not. I told the supervisor that without my contact lenses lines close to vertical are darkest (which agrees with my prescription that says axis=010), but with my toric right contact lens the lines 90 degrees away from that are darkest. He said he couldn't explain it. I think it means I'm overcorrected for astigmatism, even though the intern said their practice is to under-correct and that I was under-corrected. I asked the supervisor to let me look through a cylindrical lens that would weaken the correction for astigmatism, but he didn't have any available. I need to do further investigation, and probably purchase some cylindrical lenses of various powers.

When I returned home I called www.1800contacts.com and asked how I could most quickly obtain new lenses. I was asked to fax the prescription and was told they would send out the new lenses along with a mailing label for the unused lenses. 1800contacts paid for the shipping both ways and charged me nothing for the new lenses which arrived three days later.

Since the new lenses arrived things have been very hectic and I did not have time to make careful measurements with my naked eyes, with my old lenses, and with my new lenses, so I continued to use the old lenses so that I would have a clear baseline before I started making improvements with the new lenses. Today I made those measurements and I am now wearing the new lenses. As I type this of course I'm wearing my +1.75 reading glasses over my contacts. As long as I sit upright I have a little bit of blur when I look at my computer monitor, just as I did when I first used those reading glasses with my previous contacts. I wonder how long it will be before there is no blur.

I suspect that most of the improvement I made in the two months from March 14 through May 13 took place in the first month. I'm not certain about that because I did not make careful measurements, but I will now do that regularly. If my hunch is right I could have gotten the weaker prescription a month ago. We'll see how long it takes before the next weakened prescription. This time I will go for an exam as soon as I've made an improvement of 0.25 diopters in both eyes.

I hope that my report will provide encouragement to anyone who would like to improve his vision.

You are doing something wrong.

1. Just put away your minus glasses. They are making you blind every single day and it's illegal in our crazy society to make your eyes work properly.
2. Buy a + 6 or a stronger plus and use it a whole day.
3. Never put back your old glasses.
4. Since you have astigmatism most doctors will refuse to lower it.
5. Do not put any lens that has correction for astigmatism on your eyes ever again.
6. Live without the minus and use exclusively the plus in your extra time.

Offline johnlink

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
1. Just put away your minus glasses. They are making you blind every single day and it's illegal in our crazy society to make your eyes work properly.
5. Do not put any lens that has correction for astigmatism on your eyes ever again.

Steven, what is the basis of your suggestions above?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Hi John,

I am pleased that you see successful results.  If you are willing to continue - they you should get to naked-eye 20/40 (at least) and perhaps 20/20.

Wishing for your success.

Otis

Offline johnlink

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi John,

I am pleased that you see successful results.  If you are willing to continue - they you should get to naked-eye 20/40 (at least) and perhaps 20/20.

Wishing for your success.

Otis

Thank you, Otis. I've been using my first reduced prescription (0.25 D less in the left eye, 0.50 D less in the right eye) for just over four weeks and I think it's about time for another reduction, so I expect that I will soon have some more good news to report.

I've ordered a test lens kit and look forward to using it to develop methods to address the astigmatism in my right eye. Here's a link to the kit I've ordered: http://www.optometrial.com/trial-lens-sets/104-lens-sets/trial-lens-set-104pc-lens-a1-rim

Offline Steven

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

Personal testing.
Putting plus over minus simply won't cut it.

Try a very strong plus for some time and see the big results, faster than with soft lenses.

If you put a very strong minus lens and try to see, what do you think it will happen ?
The eye will go crazy and will try to elongate quite aggressively.

Offline mailliam

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »

Personal testing.
Putting plus over minus simply won't cut it.

Try a very strong plus for some time and see the big results, faster than with soft lenses.

If you put a very strong minus lens and try to see, what do you think it will happen ?
The eye will go crazy and will try to elongate quite aggressively.

Can you comment more about this? I'm intrigued. Do you wear a +6 every day? For how long? What do you do while you are wearing it? 

Offline Hillyman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »
+6 is a huge adjustment. On the emmetropic eye, it means the equivalent of not being able to see clearly beyond 6.5 inches away from you eye. If you are already myopic, it means that the far point of clarity is going to be even less than that.