Author Topic: Why wear the plus (at 20/60) to avoid Lasik.  (Read 1583 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Why wear the plus (at 20/60) to avoid Lasik.
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »
Subject: There are those who think Lasik is the only answer.

Item: Or they think that once you have been "Lasiked" - you keep your 20/20 forever.  That is just not true.

I do object to the description of "wearing a plus" as "eye-exercise".  But always, any effort to "change" our thinking will encounter that problem.

This woman has had Lasik, about six months ago - and again her vision is going down by about -1.0 diopters.

There are people who are going to object to wearing a "plus" when they are at 20/50 - because they don't like the plus, and wearing it for five months.

Feel free to add your commentary - if you are considering Lasik.  I think it costs between $3,000 to $4,000.

I would not want to do this A SECOND TIME - would you?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:00:22 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Why wear the plus (at 20/60) to avoid Lasik.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »
Here is the video - for your thoughtful consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWxldh0Bl8

+++++

Published on Jun 24, 2013 

After having LASIK surgery, my vision was corrected to 20/20. However, my eyes are getting bad again. My left eye is -.75 D (with astigmatism) and right eye is -.50 D. After having a lot of complications because of LASIK, I don't know if I am wanting to go back in fear of risking more.

Because of the surgery, I now see halos (around lights and bright objects) and double ghost images. My eyes are dry and I have had problems with my flaps creasing and folding.

I am now looking for an alternative way to correct my vision. Ever heard of eyerobics? Watch this video :)."

++++++

Notice that Jessie does not 1) Read her own Snellen 2) Check her refractive status herself 3) Must rely on an OD in an office for a measurement.

If she does not do any checking - she will be "stuck" with Lasik #2, and more complications from Lasik.  I personally would never have done "Lasik" - because of the expense and risk.  There are those who think "wearing the plus" is a risk - so they will not wear it.  That is always a personal choice.

There is major scientific proof that 1) Long-term near work CREATES negative status in our eyes, and 2) The minus is high-risk for making it far, far worse.  How you sort these issues out - is up to you.

Enjoy,
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:23:10 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline peterg

Re: Why wear the plus (at 20/60) to avoid Lasik.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
I have a friend who had lasik at about -6 about 10 years ago. Apparentlly only good for about a year and today is back in glasses at around -3.  Says she is still happy to be only -3 as opposed to -6 before.  Mentioned to me that if she had continued  with eye exercises, probably could have maintained her lasik improvement.   I did not get introduce my opinion, but I was a concerned about the path she's on.

Here is the video - for your thoughtful consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWxldh0Bl8

Notice that Jessie does not 1) Read her own Snellen 2) Check her refractive status herself 3) Must rely on an OD in an office for a measurement.

If she does not do any checking - she will be "stuck" with Lasik #2, and more complications from Lasik.  I personally would never have done "Lasik" - because of the expense and risk.  There are those who think "wearing the plus" is a risk - so they will not wear it.  That is always a personal choice.

There is major scientific proof that 1) Long-term near work CREATES negative status in our eyes, and 2) The minus is high-risk for making it far, far worse.  How you sort these issues out - is up to you.

Enjoy,