Author Topic: "Variable Plus" glasses  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Hillyman

"Variable Plus" glasses
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »
I just came across the Getting Stronger website this week and was delighted to come across the discussions on eyesight improvement, since I have been very interested in that since my first pair of glasses at 10. Now I am 59, with -5.5 in each eye. I also wear progressive lenses since I have presbyopia and need a weaker prescription for reading, but progressives usually give only a small circle of truly clear vision; anything outside this circle has a slight blur. 

About 2 years ago, simply as a purchase to help with reading and general convenience, I bought a pair of glasses called Superfocus (the original trade name was TruFocals). This is a pair of glasses that for each eye has two lenses: a front one that has my distance prescription in it and attached by strong magnets to the eyeglass frame, and a rear one which is a plus lens with a variable diopter of 0 to +2.5. The degree can be changed through a slider on the nose bridge, which acts to pump a special fluid (a type of very light oil, I think) into the plus lens to "plump" it up. So with the Superfocus glasses, I can vary the power for distance or for reading, with clear full field of vision at any setting. (Alas, this means I cannot do a distance and near task at the same time, such as watching TV and doing a crossworld puzzle!).

So now I have found that these glasses have an added benefit: they are perfect for giving me a plus-lens effect, with easy adjustments as (I hope) I make progress in reducing my myopia.  I thought this might be of interest to the forum readers.

Offline chris1213

Re: "Variable Plus" glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »
That's interesting, I didn't know about TruFocals, I just watched a video about them. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your progress.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: "Variable Plus" glasses
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »
Hillyman,

Great topic!  I myself was very interested in Superfocus a few years ago, because they are the ultimate adjustable glasses, and the adjustment is so easy with the slider.  They would be great for plus lens therapy or print pushing, because they can be continually adjusted throughout the day to allow you to focus at the edge of blur.

But I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the $700 they are asking.

I'd be very interested, however, to hear how they work for you.  Keep us posted.

Todd