Author Topic: Why are some people able to see further than the 20/20 line?  (Read 7276 times)

Offline chris1213

Re: Why are some people able to see further than the 20/20 line?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
Hi Otis,

Thanks for the link. I did sign up and joined Alex's program and have been following all the articles. I must admit, the most difficult part of this recovery is staying motivated. Sometimes I just want to see clearly again (without the help of any glasses) and wish the process was faster.

I'll keep doing everything I can and will try to be patient haha.

Chris

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
Hi Chris,

I am certain that at age 17, I would have "problems" understanding the necessity of wearing the plus as a "habit".  I do not have a good answer to that issue - but I when I see the data of eyes "going down" very slowly, at -1/2 diopter per year, that is "convincing" to me.  But each of us is "different" - and I agree with that issue.  I view wise use of the plus with the following "thinking".

1)  It is an intelligent choice.  But most people can not keep themselves motivated.  My "discovery" was of Dr. Prentice, who stated that plus-prevention is effective (at about 20/60), but unless the person fully understands the challenge, it is almost impossible to keep him wearing the plus. That to me, made this subject and "either-or" issue for me.

2) What I can add is that professional pilots, who have the greatest need - like Severson - just keep on wearing the plus.

3) I regard the "plus" like I regard wearing "welding goggles".  If I don't wear them - I slowly lose my vision.

4) I also wear "hearing protector" when working in a high-nose environment.  Those pilots and mechanics who refused to do it - SLOLY lost there hearing.  Today, they do wear the protective ear- muffs.

5) No one in medicine can "practice true prevention", and no one should expect them to do so.  I know they can't - as per what Dr. Prentice said.

6) This is truly a question of "what quality do I want in my life", even if it means that when I go to the dorm to study, I put the plus on.

7)  The real problem with the word, "prevention" - is that something "bad" did not happen, because I stopped before it got "too bad".  Clearly this is individual - and no one can tell you to do this.  I do it - I am typing, and reading through a +2.5 diopter lens.

But the long-term requirement - is daunting.  If you had a specific goal (like I must pass the FAA exam for pilot) your motivation would be there. But a casual dislike of the minus lens - may not be enough.

My personal hope is that you "keep this up" for the next three months - and you begin to read the 20/20 line.  Since you see this through a -1/2 diopter lens - you do not have far to go.  I know (like most of us) you will then "slack off" the wearing of the plus - but then you will see your Snellen go back down towards 20/40.  At that point you will know for certain how to "fix" the problem - during your four years in college.

Otis

Hi Otis,

Thanks for the link. I did sign up and joined Alex's program and have been following all the articles. I must admit, the most difficult part of this recovery is staying motivated. Sometimes I just want to see clearly again (without the help of any glasses) and wish the process was faster.

I'll keep doing everything I can and will try to be patient haha.

Chris

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
Chris -
The success of others - can help you.  For me, wise use of the plus is necessary.  I want to avoid the minus - that mean I MUST pass the 20/40 line, and preferably the 20/30 line.  As long as I do that then no OD will prescribe a minus for me.  Here is a short statement by my nephew, Keith:
++++++
From Keith -

Dear Uncle Otis,

I've been a bit more diligent in the last couple of months using the plus and I've noticed an improvement in my distance vision.

The point of telling you something you already know?  Haley went for her 4-year-old check up at the MD and they checked her hearing and vision so I checked my vision too, on a 10 foot chart.  Low and behold, my left eye was able to read the 20/15 line and my right eye, although not necessarily clear, was able to read the 20/20 line!

Both together made the 20/15 line of course.  As you know I don't check regularly so it was surprising that I'm back to that good.

A nice surprise.

Keith
++++++
That is truly the issue.  Keith had worn the plus - when needed.  There was no "arm twisting" by me to do it.  He is an "Athletic Trainer", so issue like 1) Keeping your weight under control (by self-discipline) and muscles in shape, were no problem. The concept of "protecting" your distant vision, with wearing a plus for near - made SENSE to HIM.  So, you can follow his foot-steps if you like.  The plus is not the "only answer"  - but it is a large part of the correct answer - if you are prepared to all of this - yourself.

Best,

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
Chris -
I should make it very clear that I do not consider true-prevention to ever be "medical".  I use words, like "measured refractive STATE" to avoid any medical "implication".  I never say "cure" nor "therapy" for exactly that reason.  Some people "take to" the plus and, knowing for CERTAIN their vision will "go down", actually were the plus - quite a lot.  Others, simply have no interest - or motivation.  Here is my nephew's remarks for your interest:
+++++

From Keith -

Dear Uncle,          February 19, 1990

Thank you very much for the book, "How to Avoid Nearsightedness".  I got it yesterday after I came back from the weekend.  I am looking forward to reading it soon, but for now I have a great deal of school work to read.

I would imagine you'll be pleased to have me tell you that one of the first things I did after opening your book was to check my eyes with the eye chart.  I am able to read the 20/20 line on the eye-chart. I have been using my drug store plus lenses most of the time now.  I have always passed the driver's license eye test.

I use these glasses nearly 100 percent of the time when I read text books and use them for about 70 percent of the total reading I do.  I started using them as much as possible again because, at the end of last semester my sight was pretty bad (I didn't check them on a chart).  I am lucky to have an uncle who showed me back in eighth grade that I could prevent my nearsightedness.

One thing college has taught me is to listen to others and then use or adapt methods to work for me.  In the last few years I have had a great deal more reading work to do. If I don't use the magnifying lenses I notice fairly quickly that my sight starts to deteriorate.  Then I realize it's time to do something to stop that process.

At the moment, I am wearing the magnifying lens because I know what it does for my vision.  Thanks for taking the time to tell me how to avoid a situation, wearing glasses at all times for the rest of my life, that I would find unpleasant, and for sending me a copy of your book so I can learn more in-depth about the methods I am using.

++++++
Chris - you are actually much better-off than Keith was - for the following reasons.  1) You got out of vision on the order of 20/200.  2) The method(s) you used got you to better-than 20/40, pass the DMV.  3) You know how to obtain your own minus lens for $10.  4) If you believe in science, they you will believe you vision will "go down" in college.  5) Not one of us can "follow you around" and nag you to wear the plus - correctly.
I truly APPRESCIATE medical people, and say NOTHING against them. But they simply can NOT do what is necessary.  Only you alone can do it.  Four years from now - you will be all alone with your own thoughts on this subject.   
Best, Otis

Offline chris1213

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Hey Otis,

I'm glad you shared the information with your family. I remember how my mom would keep telling me that staring too much at the computer was going to damage my vision but since she didn't have any "facts" or "science", if you will, to back her suggestions I didn't listen to her. Now that I told her I found this method she reproaches me for not have listened to her haha. I'm changing habits, using the plus, applying all the methods I can and I have hope that it will pay off. I'm still thankful that you guys shared this for free.

Chris

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »
Hi Chris,

For all the "advocacy" for prevention I conduct, I truly admit that it is difficult to "convince" yourself to wear the plus - long-term.  Here is my video to support your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6AJstccxk

The scientific proof had been developed.  Your mother was correct in her estimate and judgment.  But it must be you alone to 1) Always pass the required DMV line by personal, objective testing 2) Accept the fact that if you don't wear the plus consistently, your distant vision will go down by -2 diopters in a four year college. and 3) The only person who is concerned with this success - is you alone.  No OD that I know of is concerned.

Best,

Hey Otis,

I'm glad you shared the information with your family. I remember how my mom would keep telling me that staring too much at the computer was going to damage my vision but since she didn't have any "facts" or "science", if you will, to back her suggestions I didn't listen to her. Now that I told her I found this method she reproaches me for not have listened to her haha. I'm changing habits, using the plus, applying all the methods I can and I have hope that it will pay off. I'm still thankful that you guys shared this for free.

Chris

Offline Steven

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »
I started this topic with a question and unfortunately I don't have an answer. I would like someone to share some knowledge.

I understand that an eye that has grown longer is myopic because the image of a distant object will fall in front of the retina which is why we can't see from far away. I guess the longer the eye the lower the acuity. Now, an emmetropic eye will normally have an acuity of 20/20 but then why are some people able to see further than the 20/20 line. Is the eye shorter than normal or is the brain able to decipher more letters? What's the reason?

If anyone has an answer you're welcomed to reply.

http://clan.clan.su/index/myopia_cure/0-5

Don't use minus glasses of -5.5 or you will go blind from retinal detachment sooner or later.

Offline chris1213

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »
Steven,

I agree with you. I don't wear -5.5 though, the last lenses I wore were -2 and -1.5 a year ago.

Moreover, I was looking at another post where you were either recommending or saying that you wear +4 lenses to read. I think you got the idea from the book of "The Secret of Perfect Vision". Let me remind you that the author of the book had spent 10 years trying methods to improve his vision and he started with -2.25 and -2. When he was wearing the +6 under sunlight, he was already -0.5 so that permitted him to do it, and he also said that the benefit didn't come from wearing them but for pushing the print further.

I tried to wear the +4, after reading your post, but didn't experience more than momentarily results and much more strain. It's really cool though, that you've gained great improvements wearing strong plus lenses. However, if you have hit a plateau and haven't seen any results for a while take into account that we might slip back into no results when our brain receives the "error" signal of no "approachable" stimulus when the lenses are too strong for our eyes and our eyes give up trying. Changing dynamics, exercises or lowering the plus lenses may help.

Remember, how Todd compares the plus lenses to weight lifting. When you want to lift weights, if you try the heaviest ones ,most probably, you wont be able to carry them for a second or an inch from the ground. This doesn't bring any stimulus for your muscles to grow. Neither do very strong plus lenses bring stimulus to our eyes.

Our eyes are not only muscles but high definition cameras that are connected to our brains. We need both our brains and eyes engaged on working further on the stimulus and bring about adaptation.

Each one of us may choose what's best for ourselves but here are my two cents.

Chris.