Author Topic: Feldenkrais approach in working the blur?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Hillyman

Feldenkrais approach in working the blur?
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:49:06 AM »
One of the precepts in the Feldenkrais Method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldenkrais_Method) is the use of slow and gentle  repetitive movements to improve movement patterns and increase awareness. Muscle patterns locked together by long-term motor habits can be released, and the brain's motor patterns "rewired," so as to promote a more healthful functioning. 

I wonder if this Feldenkrais approach can be applied to working the blur when, say, reading a book. What I mean is to work with blur but then introduce cycles of bringing the book nearer into focus and then continuing to bring it closer by another 2-3 inches, before pushing it back again until you are at the edge of the blur again, and perhaps even another 2-3 inches beyond that, and then back to the edge of the blur. Repeat 15 times or so. Each cycle should take about 8-10 seconds; the bywords are "slow" and "gentle." I suspect this progression through focus-blur edge-blur-blur edge-focus-nearer focus-focus should help in breaking down the subtle pattern that has limited the accommodation to the focus point, and therefore on encouraging the eye to "focus further out."

Feldenkrais practitioners (and others, of course) in the forum: thoughts?

As an aside, I have taken many Feldenkrais sessions (Awareness through Movement) and have found them helpful in promoting more relaxation and more easeful movements. Once, after an AtM, I woke up the next day and found my left side much more energized--I had become left-handed (I am a righty)! The effect lasted for 2 days.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:01:12 AM by Hillyman »

Offline mailliam

Re: Feldenkrais approach in working the blur?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
Hey Hillyman,

that process you describe is the way I've been doing printpushing. I move the book close enough so I can see it crisp and clear, and then push it to my edge of blur, and then even further.

Nowadays however my edge of blur is almost non-existent, I just see double images instead and if I give it a few seconds to 'clear' I can usually fuse the images together.

-Liam

Offline Hillyman

Re: Feldenkrais approach in working the blur?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Liam

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know that I was not far off in my thinking. Coincidentally, earlier in the day, I found another posting from TomLu (on July 14) describing the same approach. He called it dipping.

Interesting about the edge of your blur becoming double lines. I guess I guess you must be making some progress!