Author Topic: Group Weight Loss  (Read 1204 times)

Offline bagelong

Group Weight Loss
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
I am rather new to the intermittent fasting and Hormesis world.  I basically went full-tilt, with low-carb, minimal gluten, and intermittent fasting a few weeks ago and I lost 12 lbs in less than 3 weeks, going from 190 to 178 lbs (at 6'2").  I am obviously much leaner, and my appetite and cravings have already diminished dramatically, all with no obvious ill-effects. 

As a health care provider (nurse practitioner), I am very interested in finding methods of helping obese individuals get healthier.   Through my own recent experience, I am developing some ideas about how to apply the principles of healthier eating in this population, and I thought this might be a good place to document the evolution of my ideas.  I currently have several obese coworkers, all of whom are frequently on some sort of "diet."  They have all expressed interest in being my "test group."   I started by asking them a simple question - If you had to make a dietary change to lose weight and become healthy, would you prefer to first change what you are eating or when you are eating?  As I suspected, changing the "when" of eating was the unanimous choice.  So, step one of our group experiment is for each of them to begin restricting their calorie consumption to three designated mealtimes, each lasting no more than 40 minutes.  Furthermore, there is to be at least 4 hours between each meal, and no calorie consumption is to occur past 7:00 p.m.  They understand that adherence means absolutely no snacking or caloric drinks outside of these times.  They are all relatively familiar with the low-carb/Atkins type diet, so I suggested that they might consider making just one of these daily meals low-carb.  Otherwise, they are free to eat according to preference. 

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Group Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
What a great idea, Bagelong!  Achieving goals is easier (and more enjoyable) when others join in.

Two things I especially like about your post:

1.  You are doing this from the position of a health care provider.  My experience is that most mainstream dietitians are very conservative and hesitant to deviate from the bland consensus thinking about "calories in, calories out" and aerobic exercise.  So I admire your boldness, willingness to investigate new ideas, and commitment to self-experiment.

2. Your protocol for restricting eating to 3 defined eating windows is commendable because it embodies an idea I advocate strongly: gradualism.  Too many people try to make big sudden changes whole hog.  They may succeed briefly, but homeostasis kicks in and they backslide.  Cutting out snacks and late night eating -- even while not changing the specific food choices -- is already a significant change, and I'm hopeful that it will pay off.  You can always consider going from 3 meals down to 2 meals at some point down the road, after success with the first step.

Good luck and please keep us posted.  And perhaps encourage your cohorts to post here too!  You can set up a "personal page' to track individual progress.

Todd
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:44:21 PM by Todd Becker »