Author Topic: Cataract - A Potential Solution  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Tom

• The Sustainabilitist
Cataract - A Potential Solution
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Maybe I should have posted this earlier. I was doing some researches on the eye diseases from a functional medicine point of view like a year ago, and I stumbled upon something about cataract. It appears that the protein deposits can be potentially dissolved via the use of carnosine-containing eye drop. This is not a typical eye drop - It's more like a supplement than a drug.

Since I'm too young to have developed cataract. I can't tell whether it works or not. Preliminary studies are suggesting yes, but ophthamologists generally don't seem to have pick that up. Two links for your pleasure here:

1) How to reverse cataract - http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/public/852.cfm

2) Eliminate cataract without surgery by Don Rehm (he's also an engineer, and I have no doubt about his moral integrity)

http://www.preventcataract.org/

Note that this is still not the solution of choice, as it doesn't tackle why there are protein deposits in the first place. I hope that in the near future some behavioral risk factors associated with cataract would be identified, but in the meantime, supplement is probably as good as you can get.

Additionally, lutein and zeaxanthin are found to reduce to risk of cataract and macular degeneration. They are generally found in yellow fruits and green leafy vegetables (e.g., spinach, brocoli). In fact, egg yolk is a tremendous source of both (remember people saying not to eat egg yolk because of its cholesterol content? Well, that has been debunked for quite a while now).

Overexposure to sunlight has also been linked to increased risk of cataract (particularly the outdoor workers), although individual mileage might vary depending on the amount of melanin in the iris (e.g., darker eye color provides a protective effect against overexposure).

Cataract - A Preliminary Theory on the Primary Causes

Looks like that cramming on research papers on myopia provided some inspiration on other ocular issues as well, as I now feel like the basic blueprint behind a theory on the etiology of cataract is in order.

If there is anything we need to known about cataract, it would be the fact that it is associated with type II diabetes. Presumably, the regular consumption of highly fermentable carbohydrate could exacerbate protein deposit and sclerosis inside the crystalline lens (as they do to the arteries).

Ocular sedentarity (e.g, lack of eye movement and focusing) caused by the modern lifestyle could also very well contribute to the increased incidence of nuclear sclerosis.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:42:23 PM by Tom »
The Sustainabilitist
Stretching Further the Concepts of Sustainability and Resilience
Facebook   Twitter   Google+