Author Topic: Eyesight without glasses  (Read 408193 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Eyesight without glasses
« Reply #1185 on: January 16, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »
Hi Trapped,

Yes - here is a Snellen.  Just click on it and print it out.

http://www.i-see.org/block_letter_eye_chart.pdf

But you are correct.  If you had a mild prescription, of say -1.75 diopters - you could use it.  I am very much against making excessive claims.  I doubt that you can read the 20/200 line (defined as legal blindness).

What I complain about (with no effect) is that the ODs KNOW for certain, that if you receive and wear the FIRST minus lens - your vision will go permanently down.  I ask them to "own up" to a responsibility to tell us at least that much.  But they will never speak to this  issue of prevention when at 20/40. 

Thanks Otis,

Would you know where I can get a Snellen Chart. I am not sure how useful it would be for me as I'm pretty much blind at -8, so what good will it be for me? I doubt I could see any of it. What line would -8 correspond to?

TrappedEye

Offline User1235

« Reply #1186 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:46 AM »
Yo trappedeye and albert! It's nice to see more people around here as it means more and more of us are taking charge of our own eyes.Firstly i would like to welcome you guys.

As for trapped eyes i recommend that you still get a snellen just check your vision with your contacts on.Maybe you can see 20/15 with your contacts,that would mean you need a reduction in prescription strength.Do keep in mind that you should give your brain 4-6weeks to adjust to a new prescription.A snellen would allow you to find out if you are over-prescribed and if you have reduced your prescription strength you can use the snellen to see where you are at.Regarding your question about wearing the mild plus for a long period of time,i feel that you should listen to your eyes.If they are strained,tired,uncomfortable then stop and rest.I don't want to be an ass but -8 to perfect eyesight will take a long time.Maybe you could aim lower so that after one year you won't be disappointed.Motivation is really key so setting realistic targets is important.

As for albert you are really lucky to just be at 20/30 how i wish i was there.Press on with the plus and all the best to both of you.Also i recommend endmyopia.org as it offers helpful insights.

Offline albertchan

« Reply #1187 on: January 20, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
I am wondering how the eye change with age (I am 46)

Will myopia reverse a bit when getting older ?

With plus lenses and push printing,
will better distance vision cause worse "reading" distance ?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #1188 on: January 20, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
Albert Chan -

I have been deeply concerned with that issue.  The normal eye needs a slight, "positive status" for truly clear distant vision.  I take responsibility and authority to measure this myself - for my own protection.

There is no adverse effect from wearing a plus and getting to 20/20, (refractive state, perhaps -1/2 diopter).  In fact, continued wearing of a plus, can even improve the 20/20 - provided you are willing to wear the plus for the long-term.

I am 76 years old, and have no problem with my "near vision".  I can read and type this at 25 inches - no problem - because I check myself.

But even IF THERE WERE A TRADE-OFF of some type, I greatly value my distant vision (at 20/20 on a bright Snellen) even if it meant I would have difficulty reading at 16 inches.

This is the type of choice a person at 20/40 (self-measured -1 diotper) will have to make because of his education and intelligence for this choice.

I am wondering how the eye change with age (I am 46)

Will myopia reverse a bit when getting older ?

With plus lenses and push printing,
will better distance vision cause worse "reading" distance ?

Offline albertchan

« Reply #1189 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »
Life is always about trade offs ...

If the goal is to use lenses as little as possible, weak myopia might not be too bad
I use myself as an example:

I have about -1.25D, but do not need glasses for driving
(10 years ago, I pass the 20/40 DMV test, but they accidentally put the
Restriction to my licenses, but I had it removed since my last renewal)

With my weak myopia, I,ve delayed the use of reading glasses for 6 years

When I get old, if I am still -1.25D, my far point is about 30 inches,
thus avoid the use of "social" glasses.

Assuming I still have 1 diopter of accommodation left, reading is still ok

Given the choices, however, I prefer no myopia.
I was lucky that I was too lazy to carry my minus (it is always in the car),
preventing my eyes getting worse.

As you might have guessed, I was an engineer too

Offline albertchan

« Reply #1190 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

Offline fabiog

« Reply #1191 on: January 23, 2016, 03:18:13 AM »
Hi
Is it ok to use the plus lenses while playing games on the computer like online multiplayer games eg:warcraft ,I find most times i have to move in and out of the screen so maybe its print pushing at the same time lol, and when reading a smartphone at night it is a good prevention method?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #1192 on: January 23, 2016, 04:20:53 AM »

Hi Fabiog,

If you can, or have a light prescription, then it is strongly advised that you wear a plus while doing close work of this nature.  In fact, I am wearing a plus lens as I type this - to protect *my* distant vision.

Hi
Is it ok to use the plus lenses while playing games on the computer like online multiplayer games eg:warcraft ,I find most times i have to move in and out of the screen so maybe its print pushing at the same time lol, and when reading a smartphone at night it is a good prevention method?

Offline fabiog

« Reply #1193 on: January 25, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
thanks for the reply Otis ,I am experiementing with 1.25+ lense at the moment and see how it goes, I get slight blur at 20.5" with them so I print push in and out.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #1194 on: January 25, 2016, 05:29:48 AM »
Hi Fabiog,

If you can wear a +1.25 for close work, and your distant vision is reasonable, then that is certainly a very wise thing to do.

If you get comfortable doing this - you will eventually wish to check your own Snellen (brightly lit) at 20 feet.

While we are at it - you are not required to pass or read the 20/20 line, but you must pass the 20/40 line.  I do not know how old you are - but that line is a good measure of success - for now.

thanks for the reply Otis ,I am experiementing with 1.25+ lense at the moment and see how it goes, I get slight blur at 20.5" with them so I print push in and out.

Offline fabiog

« Reply #1195 on: January 26, 2016, 02:51:15 AM »
I have never worne glasses in my life and I knew my vision has deteriorated for last 7 years or so maybe even longer but I never wanted to wear glasses I just lived with it.I am 34 years old now and at 20 years old I did pass the drivers eye test.
Today I used the snellen chart and at 20/200 I see the E with slight blur  :'( I can make out 20/70 blurry but good when squinting.
I would say I'm about between 20/80 -20/100 on snellen .On the computer naked eye I can push back to 110cm until edge of blur  starts to show itself but I will try this method and persist to try and get it down ,if I have to start driving then I will have to get glasses to be safe.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #1196 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:44 AM »
Hi Fabiog,

You are very lucky - that you avoided wearing a minus lens.  Intelligent checking of a Snellen (with a bright light on it - for consistent repeatable results - is the key to being independent and wise.  If you are pushing back, and reading at 1.1 meters - that is excellent.  It is not whether the letters are blurry, it is whether you can read most of them at 20 feet.  I am personally devoted to the wise wearing of a plus, not for a cure, but for prevention only.  I recommend, for your own competence, that you get your own test lenses - for use at home.  I suspect that a -1.5 would get you reading the 20/30 to 20/20 line.  (The cost is about $10.)  The reason? For your own independent CONTROL of your distant vision.  I accept one personal obligation.  That is to read the 20/40 line, at home, by my judgment.

SELECTION OF A PLUS:

Since your "just blur" point is at 1.1 meters, you can wear a plus of from 1.25 to 1.5 diopters, and a regular habit.  Your vision at about 18 inches should be comfortable.  Assuming you have the long-term resolution and desire, in about three to six months, you should begin to read the 20/40 line (blurry but readable).  If, and when you can do this (home Snellen) you can increase the strength of the plus to 1.75 and 2.5 diopters.  (Experiment - it is the only way.)  If you begin seeing a blurry 20/40, you will have made yourself successful.

I have never worne glasses in my life and I knew my vision has deteriorated for last 7 years or so maybe even longer but I never wanted to wear glasses I just lived with it.I am 34 years old now and at 20 years old I did pass the drivers eye test.
Today I used the snellen chart and at 20/200 I see the E with slight blur  :'( I can make out 20/70 blurry but good when squinting.
I would say I'm about between 20/80 -20/100 on snellen .On the computer naked eye I can push back to 110cm until edge of blur  starts to show itself but I will try this method and persist to try and get it down ,if I have to start driving then I will have to get glasses to be safe.

Offline albertchan

« Reply #1197 on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
I thought axial myopia is the "growth" in axial length, making the eye "bigger"
Many optometrists claim myopia is irreversible because the eye cannot shrink back

I thought print pushing generate more photosensitive layers in retina, "fill in"
the excess myopic axial length, like a fresh coat of paint on the wall

In no way is the shape of the eye change back to normal.

Is above statements true ?

I watched Todd's presentation on YouTube ... Very informative

During QA, one audience mentioned that print pushing only change the acuity, but
not the optics of the eye. Todd might misunderstood the statement ... He said yes.

Offline CanuckKid

« Reply #1198 on: February 01, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
Has anyone who tried this and had eye floaters caused by myopia see them go away afterwards? Just wondering because wearing glasses and contact lenses do not bother me but the eye floaters I have do irritate me quite a bit.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #1199 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »
@albertchan

According to optics -4D myopia is about 1mm eye elongation if I remember correctly. So if one came to 0D in no way did he create more nerve tissue (retina) by layers to the extent of 1mm. In section the retina is no more than 0.5 mm thick.

@CanuckKid
Me I haven't succeed in getting rid of them although they are stable since myopia rehab. With time (years) one gets used of them. I think near stress causes heat and changes to the vitreous chamber. There are some papers that suggest book stands in order not to look down and converge. Grape seeds is a good antioxidant. The less the eye elongation the less shadow floaters cast on the retina.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:46:12 PM by Alex_Myopic »