Author Topic: Eyesight without glasses  (Read 443264 times)

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Eyesight without glasses
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Matt,

The stick-on lenses from MagnOptx come either as smaller "bifocal" size lenses or full size lenses. They don't need to be cut down. I've found that I can use the smaller, less expensive "bifocal" stick-ons just by centering them in the middle of the lens.  I don't even notice any edges and they work great as "diffusers" to induce blur in the stronger eye and allow the weak eye to take over and do the heavy lifting.  I'm careful to use them only 15-30 minutes at a time, alternating going without glasses, so that my eyes don't overadjust.  But these work great!

Todd

Offline earmenow

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 07:22:44 AM »
Hey

I have used reading glasses for a couple of years when on the computer, I found out about plus lenses and print pushing through some Yahoo group. Unfortunately someone on there was a complete git to me, it sounds stupid now but it completely put me off! I decided to keep wearing the glasses, but my eyesight has still deteriorated and I think it is because I wasn't keeping it blurred.

I'm not 100% sure of my prescription, I think it is -1 and -1.25; not even sure which eye's which off the top of my head. Originally when I discovered this I must have been around -0.75 or less. Luckily though I am still below the -1.5 threshold that some people say is the upper limit for a reasonable chance of success.

Anyway, I thought I would share with you my current regime. I read on the i-see.org message board about the idea of convergence, if I understand it it is the idea that when focusing on close objects the eyes will cross slightly. Supposedly this can even happen when wearing plus lenses. So to better simulate long distance vision the solution proposed in one post was to patch one eye - "Why waste 3D vision on a 2D display". I hope it also gives the covered eye a rest, meaning I can do more work by switching occasionally. The only drawback is looking like dorky pirate, but I only do it at home so I don't mind!

I'm still researching as I go along, I am thinking of getting David De Angelis' book at some point as well. If I remember I will return to post my success or failure. :)

Here is a message off the i-see group, a translation of the methods of "Yuri Utekhin" a Russian academician who I can find very little information on at all... I hope it is relevant because I have only scanned it before posting, lol!
Original page here:

http://vizhu-horosho.narod.ru/009.html

Note: "Zorkost" in Russian means both "vigilance" and "sharp eyesight".

The idea is if you are "vigilant", you will do these exercises and
keep your eyesight sharp.

My translation from Russian.

"ZORKOST" EXERCISES

DEVELOPED BY ACADEMICIAN YURI UTEKHIN

The scientific principle behind the "Zorkost" exercises is the fact
that two open eyes cannot work using the centers of both retinas
simultaneously, since this would cause double vision.

Therefore one eye of necessity ceases to work using the center of
retina, which causes a reduction in general visual acuity. In certain
cases neither eye uses the center of the retina.

Accordingly if we read first with one, then with another eye
alternately, then the working eye places its retina precisely at the
center, since the second eye does not interfere with it.

The habituation of each eye to this regime increases visual acuity.

Here is how this is carried out in practice.

First of all let us note that the glasses used for carrying out the
exercises must be weaker than the usual glasses by 3 diopters for
children and 2.5 diopters for adolescents and adults. If
nearsightedness is between 2.5 to 5 diopters, then "Zorkost" exercises
can generally be performed without the glasses. How long one reads
with one eye is a matter of personal preference - from 15 to 30
minutes, then the second eye is uncovered while the first is covered.
It is possible to continue such reading several hours in a row. In
this case one of the lenses is covered by moveable paper occluder. It
is, of course, more convenient to order two pairs of identical glasses
and, after taping up the right lens on one pair and the left on the
other, to change glasses in the process of training.

The eye with the greater degree of nearsightedness must be trained
longer and more actively, for example, by reading with it for 30
minutes, and with the better eye for 15. In order to increase the
effectiveness of the training, it is necessary every five minutes of
reading, to bring the book from the furthest point readable up to a
distance of 10-15 cm from the eye for a very short period, two or
three times.

Here one must not forget to continue actively reading as the book
smoothly moves inwards and as it stays briefly at the near point. This
brings about a certain massage of the muscles controlling the lens,
which decreases fatigue.

One should become accustomed to this regime of reading and make it
automatic. It is best to use a stand for the book, and its
illumination must be good, a lamp not less than 60-100 watts with an
opaque lampshade.

The positive effect from these exercises will be felt quickly. When
beginning training, the maximum distance from the eye to the text is
usually about 30 cm. Gradually sight will begin to be improved, and
this distance will increase.

Self-monitoring is very important: twice a month it is necessary to
measure the maximum distance from which you still read text without
glasses with one eye - separately for the right and left eye - and to
record the results in a journal. So that the data can be compared, use
the same text and identical illumination for all measurements. As soon
as the distance from the eye to the book in the training glasses
exceeds 38-40 cm, it is time to go to the doctor in for a new pair of
weaker glasses.

Offline Cindy

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
Thanks for posting the Zorkost exercises, earmenow.  (Great name!)  Looks interesting.  I also experimented with patching my eyes (actually taping paper over one lens at a time) when I did print pushing exercises, because my eyes had uneven corrections, like yours.  It helped make the weaker eye to do more work I think.

You are also right to try keeping the focal distance right at the edge of blur, or the print pushing doesn't work as well.

Offline Matt22

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »
Cindy by the edge of blur, do you mean were its only just starting to blur?

Offline Cindy

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
Cindy by the edge of blur, do you mean were its only just starting to blur?

Hi Matt - What works for me is push the print to where it is slightly blurry but still readable and hold that distance.  What I find is that it usually clears up on its own while I'm reading it at that distance.  So occasionally I keep "testing" the distance again by pushing until the slight blur comes back.  And it may clear up again.  If it doesn't clear up, I sometimes pull it closer again.

It's all a matter of what is "on the edge of being uncomfortable".  If you make the print too blurry, your eyes just give up and it is too unpleasant to read.  But if you push slightly, your eyes usually meet the challenge.

Think of it like lifting weights:  what is the heaviest weight you can reasonably lift many times?  If the weight is too heavy, you give up and gain nothing.  If it is too light, you don't benefit.

It's called the "Goldilocks priniciple".

Cindy

Offline GlennL

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »
I read your article with great interest and have a query in regards to the necessity of using anti-corrective lenses.  I do not wear glasses/contacts and recently found my eyesight getting poorer i.e. farsightedness.  To apply the Bates method do I need to use anti-corrective/plus/minus lenses or can it be done without the lenses?  It would seem from reading your article that as long as I can move the document just out of focus whilst not wearing glasses that I can apply the method.  Is this correct?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
GlennL, you are correct. Since you have farsightedness (hyperopia) you can do this without anticorrective lenses (which would be minus lenses in your case) unless your hyperopia is extremely strong. You'll get the benefits as long as you can bring print to the "edge of blur" at a comfortable distance.  The technique is the opposite of what I described for myopia: in your case, "pull" the print in as close as you can and allow it to clear.

If each of your eyes has a different degree of hyperopia, you may want to alternate reading with one eye at a time for several minutes, then switching eyes. You can wear a patch, but another technique is to hold one hand at an angle against your nose so that the non-reading eye sees the back of your hand angled at 45 degrees. It's actually not that uncomforable once you get used to it and it allows enough light to enter the non-reading eye so it doesn't have to readjust to light as would a patched eye. Your brain just ignores what the non-reading eye sees, so the reading eye has to do all the focusing work.  Alternate between eyes this way to ensure balanced improvement, but make the weaker eye (the one that is more farsighted) do most of the work until it catches up with the other eye.

Todd

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
Dear Friends of (second-opinion) prevention,
I would like to add my support for Todd, and his use of "anti-prescription" glasses.  The preventive concept came from a book by Brian Severson (a pilot) who needed to clear his Snellen from 20/70 to normal -- and pass the objective FAA exam.  (A truly honest verification of success.)  I also support Dr. Bate's effort in 1913, and agree that prevention, while difficult, is possible.  One thing I do for myself is to obtain my own Snellen, set it up at 20 feet and read it.  That way I don't need to go to an OD for any "exam" -- that I do better for myself.  I don't make "claims" myself, but, in my judgment, Todd had it "correctly" as fundamental science, and practical results.  Otis

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
Otis, thanks very much for your support.  It's very much appreciated, and you are being all too modest.

For those of you who may not be familiar with Otis Brown, I'm honored to have him post on this forum.  As a youth, Otis became aware that "corrective" minus lenses were actually causing his own myopia, interfering with his ambition to become a pilot. Out of this experience, Otis eventually became a leading advocate of myopia prevention through self-diagnosis, eye exercises and the use of plus lenses (or what I call "anti-corrective" lenses), building on the pioneering work of Dr. William Bates. It was Otis who introduced the plus lens method to fellow pilot Brian Severson, from whose book I learned so much.

In addition to his recently launched blog, myopiafree, I highly recommend Otis' excellent web book about the causes and prevention of myopia, entitled How to Avoid Nearsightedness. This treatise by Otis is on the Alex Eulenberg's site, International Society for the Enhancement of Eyesight (I-SEE), a wealth of resources for those interested in preventing or reversing myopia or hyperopia.

Otis makes two recommendations which I think are especially helpful and important:
1.  Diagnose yourself by using a Snellen eyechart.  This is the familiar "eye chart" that you are tested on by the DMV or your opthamologist.  It is very easy to download and print out your own chart to test your own vision.  This is really the only way to know whether you are making progress. There are good versions of the Snellen chart, with instructions, on the I-SEE website.  I like this one.
2.  Preventing myopia progression is hard work, and reversing myopia is even harder.  Don't expect overnight success.  Diligence and persistence are necessary.  And you'll face a lot of resistance and nay-saying from the medical establishment.

Of course, if you want to pursue conventional medical practice, then you've come to the wrong site!  That goes not only for vision improvement, but most everything on this blog.

Thanks, Otis!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »
FYI: Sorry, but these types of eye exercises and lens therapies have been scientifically studied.
Unfortunately, they do not work. There is some evidence that plus lenses MAY slightly reduce the rate of
progression of myopia for a limited time in kids. But otherwise, they don't seem to work.

I always appreciate this type of statement.  In fact if you only read WebMD, you will discover that they say, "...prevention will always be impossible -- now and forever.]  On Engineering/scientific grounds -- I don't agree.  But I do agree that prevention (before a minus lens) is difficult.  It is false to say that tne dynamic eye has been, "scientifically studied".  You can say that they have been "medically studied" by biased people who want the study to FAIL, but that is the "medical mind" at work.  In fact, some MDs and ODs have "understood" the need for the plus, BEFORE THE MINUS, and have put their kids in a plus -- and kept their refractive STATE postive and their vision clear for life.  But Todd has it correct.  If you can still read the 20/60 line on your Snellen, and have intense motivation, you can probably clear your Snellen to pass the DMV, and avoid any use of the minus.  Let us just call Todd's work the scientific second-opinion.  Thanks for your commentary.  Otis

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
Dear Friend,

I am pleased you report your "prescription" as -1.25 and -1.0.  That is always a good starting point.  Personally, I don't rely on a prescription, since I found out they prescribe for "best visual acuity".  This means over-prescription by -1, -2, -3 and yes even -4 diopters.  Thus I check my own vision at home, and strongly recommend that you do also.  You can get an 'easy' Snellen from i-see (Schnieder PDF) an put it on the wall.  If you are passing the 20/50 line, you can truly measure your HONEST PROGRESS.  If you use David's book, then that is an excellent starting-point for anyone who is very serious about his vision.  NOTE:  The DMV in some States is 20/50, and others 20/40.  If you pass that line, or better, you would pass the DMV test.  I always like "personal control" of my vision, and that his how you get it.  You are better than Todd who was -3 diopters.  So set a goal of 20/40, and if you pass that, then continue with the plus and I think you can get to 20/30 and 20/25.  It does take resolve (like losing weight), and no one can provide that essential motivation -- indeed that is what Todd is all about.  If you will provide your Snellen reading we will totally help you!  Best, Otis

Hey

I have used reading glasses for a couple of years when on the computer, I found out about plus lenses and print pushing through some Yahoo group. Unfortunately someone on there was a complete git to me, it sounds stupid now but it completely put me off! I decided to keep wearing the glasses, but my eyesight has still deteriorated and I think it is because I wasn't keeping it blurred.

I'm not 100% sure of my prescription, I think it is -1 and -1.25; not even sure which eye's which off the top of my head. Originally when I discovered this I must have been around -0.75 or less. Luckily though I am still below the -1.5 threshold that some people say is the upper limit for a reasonable chance of success.

Anyway, I thought I would share with you my current regime. I read on the i-see.org message board about the idea of convergence, if I understand it it is the idea that when focusing on close objects the eyes will cross slightly. Supposedly this can even happen when wearing plus lenses. So to better simulate long distance vision the solution proposed in one post was to patch one eye - "Why waste 3D vision on a 2D display". I hope it also gives the covered eye a rest, meaning I can do more work by switching occasionally. The only drawback is looking like dorky pirate, but I only do it at home so I don't mind!

I'm still researching as I go along, I am thinking of getting David De Angelis' book at some point as well. If I remember I will return to post my success or failure. :)

Here is a message off the i-see group, a translation of the methods of "Yuri Utekhin" a Russian academician who I can find very little information on at all... I hope it is relevant because I have only scanned it before posting, lol!
Original page here:

http://vizhu-horosho.narod.ru/009.html

Note: "Zorkost" in Russian means both "vigilance" and "sharp eyesight".

The idea is if you are "vigilant", you will do these exercises and
keep your eyesight sharp.

My translation from Russian.

"ZORKOST" EXERCISES

DEVELOPED BY ACADEMICIAN YURI UTEKHIN

The scientific principle behind the "Zorkost" exercises is the fact
that two open eyes cannot work using the centers of both retinas
simultaneously, since this would cause double vision.

Therefore one eye of necessity ceases to work using the center of
retina, which causes a reduction in general visual acuity. In certain
cases neither eye uses the center of the retina.

Accordingly if we read first with one, then with another eye
alternately, then the working eye places its retina precisely at the
center, since the second eye does not interfere with it.

The habituation of each eye to this regime increases visual acuity.

Here is how this is carried out in practice.

First of all let us note that the glasses used for carrying out the
exercises must be weaker than the usual glasses by 3 diopters for
children and 2.5 diopters for adolescents and adults. If
nearsightedness is between 2.5 to 5 diopters, then "Zorkost" exercises
can generally be performed without the glasses. How long one reads
with one eye is a matter of personal preference - from 15 to 30
minutes, then the second eye is uncovered while the first is covered.
It is possible to continue such reading several hours in a row. In
this case one of the lenses is covered by moveable paper occluder. It
is, of course, more convenient to order two pairs of identical glasses
and, after taping up the right lens on one pair and the left on the
other, to change glasses in the process of training.

The eye with the greater degree of nearsightedness must be trained
longer and more actively, for example, by reading with it for 30
minutes, and with the better eye for 15. In order to increase the
effectiveness of the training, it is necessary every five minutes of
reading, to bring the book from the furthest point readable up to a
distance of 10-15 cm from the eye for a very short period, two or
three times.

Here one must not forget to continue actively reading as the book
smoothly moves inwards and as it stays briefly at the near point. This
brings about a certain massage of the muscles controlling the lens,
which decreases fatigue.

One should become accustomed to this regime of reading and make it
automatic. It is best to use a stand for the book, and its
illumination must be good, a lamp not less than 60-100 watts with an
opaque lampshade.

The positive effect from these exercises will be felt quickly. When
beginning training, the maximum distance from the eye to the text is
usually about 30 cm. Gradually sight will begin to be improved, and
this distance will increase.

Self-monitoring is very important: twice a month it is necessary to
measure the maximum distance from which you still read text without
glasses with one eye - separately for the right and left eye - and to
record the results in a journal. So that the data can be compared, use
the same text and identical illumination for all measurements. As soon
as the distance from the eye to the book in the training glasses
exceeds 38-40 cm, it is time to go to the doctor in for a new pair of
weaker glasses.

Offline skirrel

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
yea im ordering lenses from an online site to get weaker prescriptions.  btw todd, do you know how to prevent glaucoma/treat it permanently besides using foods?

Offline jansen

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
Hello,

I read about the article with great interest. I decided to try out the exercises. The problem I've been having is that the text doesn't seem to clear at the blur point like it should. When I read with my +2.5 lenses at the blur point, it doesn't seem to want to clear itself like it should. Can anyone help me?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »

Hi Jansen,

I think that Todd should answer your question.  But let me add this suggestion to help you.

You (we) need to undderstand your refractive status.  Do you have a "prescription" that you could post?  I know that prescriptions can be inaccurate, so it would also help if you could read a "Snellen".  You can print-out this one for free on i-see:

http://www.i-see.org/eyecharts.html

Just go down to "Joel Schnider" and click on the "PDF".  That will bring up a Snellen chart.

After you print it out, place it at 20 feet, and find the line you can read about 1/2 the letters correctly.

I know this will sound like "extra work", but it is a good starting point to help you select the proper strength plus lens (anti-prescription) to help you on your preventive journey.

Let us know if you have a problem obtaining or reading that Snellen.  It truly for your own personal benifit.

Hello,

I read about the article with great interest. I decided to try out the exercises. The problem I've been having is that the text doesn't seem to clear at the blur point like it should. When I read with my +2.5 lenses at the blur point, it doesn't seem to want to clear itself like it should. Can anyone help me?

Offline jansen

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I actually use an eye chart designed for use at 10 feet. For that chart, I'm about 20/70 in the left eye and I'm not able to measure my progress for my right. My last prescription about 4 months ago was -1.5 in the left and -2.75 in the right.

I will try using the chart in the link provided.