Author Topic: Plateau  (Read 4879 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Plateau
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
Dear Chris,

From our private conversations, it is clear you have understood the idea of, "print pushing", and the necessity of personally, and objectively passing the required 20/40 line.  I like to be in objective control of my distant vision, and that is how I do it.

I know that few people truly understand, "statistics", but even a simplified version will show that your average college student at 20/40, will go down to 20/200 (approximately) in four year - if he does not take plus-prevention seriously.

It takes a real "educated mind" to fully accept the challenge of always passing the 20/40 line (and far better) if you are persistent.

I know we all "quit" with the plus for periods of time - that is just "human nature".  But this is why I insist on the 20/40 line.  I assume you will get to the 20/25 line or so. Then you will stop wearing the plus for some time, and then be back to 20/40.  This is TOTALLY NATURAL AND NORMAL. With your wisdom, you will simply re-start with the plus.

The statistics are very clear on that point, and the 20/200 you would get down to - if you don't stop it at 20/40.

As always, great person wisdom is required to keep your naked-eye vision normal though the college years.  This is clearly not "medicine", but, in my judgment, educated-science.

Keep posting your thoughts - we all learn from them.

Wow Otis while I was writing a message to you, you mentioned almost all my points very clearly.

Thank you for the encouragement and I'll keep wearing the plus. I want to see clearly again.

That video you posted is very helpful and clear for those who are barely experiencing myopia or just started too. I will keep the link to show it to anyone who may need the information. Thank you again.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:39:56 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline chris1213

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »
Hi Otis,

I agree with you're wisdom on the use of the plus. Since this thread is already titled "plateau," here's a part of what I've already mentioned to you:

I believe it's not only the use of the plus, but the wise use of them that maintains the health of our vision. See, something interesting I barely noticed is my misuse of the plus. This was already mentioned by David De Angelis when he said how he spent most of the time wearing the plus with no results, until he understood print pushing more clearly. (Maybe it's part of our human nature that most of us most experience the problem before we do something, instead of preventing it or learning from the errors of others haha).

I hit a plateau for all these months, like David De Angelis did. But it was until this week that I noticed I was wearing the plus without print pushing and letting my eyes clear the image. I was either living in blur, even with the plus, or maintaining a distance that would let me see the image clearly, thinking my eyes would respond/adapt. When the image is too clear there is no stimulus and the close distance doesn't prevent accommodation that much; when there is a lot of blur on the other hand, the eyes give up and don't clear up the image so there's no benefit.

The reason the first months while wearing the plus I got faster results was because I started wearing them just at the edge of blur letting my eyes clear up the image and staying in that position for some time; this brought stimulus. After I got to 20/40 though, I thought that by pushing the image way further my eyes would get used to it but I hit the plateau for the past 5 months.

Now I understand clearly that, since we spend so much time focusing close up, like most college students likely do, we have to compensate for that with the use of the plus (just like we compensate for our sedentary lives by working out or going to the gym). However, the point of the plus is mimicking outdoor vision while we look up close. So if we focus at a very short distance, even while wearing the plus, this doesn't stimulate our eyes. But if we slowly and persistently bring our eyes to a further distance wearing the plus close up, where they can clear the image, it lets them "think" we are looking at a far point. That "exercise" changes our eyes until we hopefully reach emmetropia.

Remember, Todd's website suggests hormesis, the wise use of stimulus to bring forward a change so it's not about walking around with the plus hoping to see results. We can walk around with weights all day but how would it benefit us? Even if you read the book of David De Angelis he says that he got stuck on -0.5 for over a year before he understood that consistent print pushing, in the way I talk about in the previous paragraph, would bring him the results he wanted.

For all the mentioned ideas, I totally agree with what Otis says about constantly wearing the plus and also thank Todd for his website and the information he provides.

Chris

Offline jansen

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
Yes, I definitely agree, we need to constantly challenge our eyes with further and further distances in order for them to adapt and thus improve. I admit that when I got to 20/30-20/40, I began to "settle in" with the improvements and have kept a constant distance while reading with plus lenses, not really pushing myself as much as I used to

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
"In any learning process there are plateaus. Plateaus are periods of time when, no matter how much the student practices correct vision habits, the vision improvement seems to level off. It takes time for the mind and body to adjust to the vision habits you have practiced.
Once the level of vision skills you have practiced is solid, a foundation is created for further progress. Simply continue to practice better vision habits each day, and when your vision is ready to progress further, it will."

From the book "Relearning to see" by Tom Quackenbush.