Author Topic: A lack of progress and stagnation has left me distraught.  (Read 2367 times)

Offline trw

A lack of progress and stagnation has left me distraught.
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
So, Im considering 'giving up'. What I mean by that is, since I haven't been able to get 20/40 vision (my goal) at least or better, that I am thinking of going back to wearing prescribed minus lenses to accommodate my near sightedness and achieve 20/20 by that means. Of course upon close viewing of things, as I am a myope of approximately 20/60, I will use no minus lenses or even use slight plus lenses just to take off the eyestrain. I've been using various methods to achieve this ideal 20/20 number, and have even been willing to settle for 20/40 by eye exercises, eye patch, plus lenses, eyedrops, the whole toolkit, but haven't been able to break through this plateau for quite some time. Is it even worth it to continue these methods, or should I just accept the fact that I've made a lot of progress, but can't manage to go that extra mile in the race. I've gone from -2.75 in the right and down -.50 in the left (my dominant eye), but have had nothing encouraging enough to continue this natural training in about a year. It's like working out, I've gotten my weight down to a healthy level, but can't manage to get that well sought after 6 pack, or ripped physique despite throwing everything Ive got at it. Am I giving up too soon, or is achieving 20/40, or 20/20 or better physically possible at this point after years of using glasses before learning the secrets. Am I so close to the goal that I can't see it, do I need that extra push, is it physically possible to achieve this? Those are the questions that I am thinking about now. I'm 30 now and have worn minus lenses since I was 10. Did I ruin it by doing that, or is it possible to be able to see clearly after all that??? I don't mind wearing glasses, and can accept I made mistakes as a child by ignorance mostly and just following optometrist recommendation. Now that I know the secrets, I'm beginning to wonder if it is too late after all the damage. What's your guys' opinion? Glasses aren't that bad are they? I need some 'success story' or medical research to get me out of this rut and mentality that I made it far enough, but can't be perfect. Thank you for listening

-Tim

Offline chris1213

Re: A lack of progress and stagnation has left me distraught.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »
Hi Tim,

I'm glad you've shared your post because about two months ago, after being stuck in a plateau for 4 months, I was almost going to give up too. I was tired of not being able to see the people around me very we'l, it was frustrating to not see any results and thinking I might just never get my vision back.

But here's what I did:

- First, living on the blur brings no benefit at all. The minus glasses are not bad as long as 1. U don't use them to see things up close 2. U remember they're only a crutch to see on the distance to help u regain your vision. Both your brain and eyes need to see clear images to have a reference. This tells your brain "this is a good image" and "blur is not good".

Knowing this I:

- Wore a full prescription (the one that gets you to see 20/20) for half an hour daily to remind my brain how things should be seen. The rest of the day instead of wearing a full prescription, I wore 0.25 less than my full prescription. and practiced seeing far objects with the glasses. This both gives me a slightly blurry image which helps my eyes not give up or strain, and also doesn't frustrate me.

Now here's what has lately been giving me the most results:

- I was wearing the plus lenses for a lot of time up close. That strained my eyes and even though the plus lenses create a positive stress, if we wears them too much it becomes negative. It's like carrying weights all day long, that doesn't make your muscles grow. So indie two things. 1. Not wearing the plus lenses more than 3 hours a day. 2. Blink a lot.

- why blink? My eyes became very dry because I used the computer a lot, barely blinked and on top of that wore my plus lenses all day long. So I started blinking a lot more which improved the circulation of blood in my eyes and also kept them rested. It's not necessary to blink a lot all day, but from time to time to keep the eyes rested. I also had to blink more often while wearing the plus so my eyes don't get used to be dry.

Above all, I recommend you visit this website: http://www.frauenfeldclinic.com

Dr. Alex Frauenfeld, the man that runs the website, is a behavioral optometrist who has had a clinic for 40 years helping people regain their sight. He really knows what he's doing and let's you know what really helps your eyesight and what is actually bullshit from the internet that doesn't work.

Even he says that you don't need to sign up for his program. Just by reading his blogs and the forum you're ready to keep working on your vision.

Again man, I'm glad you shared your post and here I am if you need more help.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »
Hi trw,

I broke a plateau of 20/40 and achieved 20/32 by using PVS for only a month.
http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,8.msg5578.html#msg5578
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKF5Zgr7mes&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL3BC7F241DFE3CA97

Bates method is very good but is relying very much on relaxation and doesn' t use plus lenses. So I was at a plateau for 2-3 months. No pain no gain!

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
So, Im considering 'giving up'. What I mean by that is, since I haven't been able to get 20/40 vision (my goal) at least or better, that I am thinking of going back to wearing prescribed minus lenses to accommodate my near sightedness and achieve 20/20 by that means. Of course upon close viewing of things, as I am a myope of approximately 20/60, I will use no minus lenses or even use slight plus lenses just to take off the eyestrain. I've been using various methods to achieve this ideal 20/20 number, and have even been willing to settle for 20/40 by eye exercises, eye patch, plus lenses, eyedrops, the whole toolkit, but haven't been able to break through this plateau for quite some time. Is it even worth it to continue these methods, or should I just accept the fact that I've made a lot of progress, but can't manage to go that extra mile in the race. I've gone from -2.75 in the right and down -.50 in the left (my dominant eye), but have had nothing encouraging enough to continue this natural training in about a year. It's like working out, I've gotten my weight down to a healthy level, but can't manage to get that well sought after 6 pack, or ripped physique despite throwing everything Ive got at it. Am I giving up too soon, or is achieving 20/40, or 20/20 or better physically possible at this point after years of using glasses before learning the secrets. Am I so close to the goal that I can't see it, do I need that extra push, is it physically possible to achieve this? Those are the questions that I am thinking about now. I'm 30 now and have worn minus lenses since I was 10. Did I ruin it by doing that, or is it possible to be able to see clearly after all that??? I don't mind wearing glasses, and can accept I made mistakes as a child by ignorance mostly and just following optometrist recommendation. Now that I know the secrets, I'm beginning to wonder if it is too late after all the damage. What's your guys' opinion? Glasses aren't that bad are they? I need some 'success story' or medical research to get me out of this rut and mentality that I made it far enough, but can't be perfect. Thank you for listening

-Tim

Tim,

Your frustration is understandable.  But consider the fact that you have already reduced your correction from -2.75 down to -.50 in your dominant eye -- achieving a 20/60 Snellen!  That is very impressive progress, and I'm sure you notice how different the world looks at 20/60 versus where you started out.

Don't give up or settle for 20/60 or 20/40.  You can finish the race!  Believe me -- 20/20 is wonderful, even if you only have it in one eye.  The world looks brilliantly clear and it feels so liberating to walk and drive around without have to wear glasses or contact.  It is worth the struggle. And it is never too late to change.  I was 15 years older than you when I first determined to get rid of my minus lenses.

You are so close to full success. The last part of of reaching a goal is often the slowest and most frustrating.  This is as true of weight loss and body recomposition as it is for vision improvement.

When you are stuck on a plateau, it often means you need to change your game or put a new trick into your toolkit.  I suspect that Chris is right that you may need to become more mindful about when and how to use print pushing and plus lenses.  You can't just wear plus lenses around and expect improvement.  You've got to be very deliberate about focusing right at the edge of blur -- not beyond it or within it.  It's the Goldilocks principle.   Be sure to limit your efforts to a few hours a day.  Don't tire yourself out to the point of experiencing eye strain.

As one "new trick" -- have you considered diet?  A diet high in sugars or starchy foods weakens the structural tissues that help the eye maintain its shape and flexbiliity.  You may need to increase healthful essential fatty acids in your diet, and add phytonutrients from nonstarchy green and colored vegetables.  Consider cutting out snacks and only eating 2-3 meals a day -- to reduce your basal insulin level.  And you may need more rest and sleep.  These steps can significantly help your progress.

Stick with it -- you'll be glad you did!

Todd

Offline Steven

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »

-Tim

It's very easy.

Buy a +6 or stronger and use it as much as you can. It does break the plateau guaranteed.

Offline FonkStreet

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Hi Steven, what is your progress with strong plus lenses?