Author Topic: Over-Prescription, How Much is There?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Over-Prescription, How Much is There?
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:18:00 AM »
Subject:  We all should have the goal of passing the required 20/40 line - naked eye.

There is a truly bad tendency to over-prescribe a young child.  You sit the child in a chair, and have the child look through small holes in a "strange instrument".  The child often does not pay attention, and you get yourself in a hurry and crank up on the "Phoropter" (trial lens), to give the child 20/15, and even 20/10 vision.  This always is "over-prescription", by one, two or even three diopters.

The result of an OD doing this, is a series of excessive minus prescriptions - that I will post here.

I am also curious -- do any of you think you are over-prescribed?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:54:44 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Over-Prescription, How Much is There?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:43:29 AM »
Subject:  An equal, and powerful question is this:  "If YOU are the doctor, what would you do"?

Because of those few insightful doctors (some who had self-induced myopia - from long-term close work), I realized that they could truly do NOTHING about it.

This is why I teach a person to OBJECTIVELY look at and read his own Snellen chart.  If he is able to read the 20/40 line (even with a -1.5 diopter prescription that some person over-prescribed), he can legally avoid wearing a minus lens all the time.

He can also wear a +2.0 diopter for all close work, and as his Snellen begins to "clear", your plan should be to increase the +2.0 to +2.5 and even +3.0 consistent with "easy reading" at 20 inches.

But this is personal, and no doctors I know of - can "prescribe it".  This is also the "line" I draw, about protecting my "visual acuity", and fully knowing that no one who is "medical" is in any position to help me with this objective work.

As always, it was there is one excellent "plus" study that convinced me, that long-term wearing of the plus (for near) was totally necessary.  I regard the "plus" like wearing sun glasses in day - to protect my night-time vision.  The connection is not obvious.  Protecting my distant vision, by wearing a plus for near, is not obvious either - although some people indeed, "figure it out".

This is perhaps very hard to understand.  You avoid "fixing" the obvious (20/50 vision, with a minus, for instance), and wear a "stress relief" plus, for long-term near, to protect your distant vision - for life.

The average person's, "objection" is always, "I don't like wearing the plus for near", or "I  don't understand WHY I must wear the plus for near".  So no one will do it - because a "medical person" in his office will not talk about it.

Understanding THAT issue is what wise, personal plus-prevention is all about.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:42:06 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
Subject:  I do admit that prevention does take real personal resolve, and, as far as I am concerned, must be started before you allow your Snellen to go below 20/60.  I do support all preventive methods.

Here are my remark about Dr. Alex's request for your commentary - and for your interest.

+++++

Dear Alex,

I often wondered why I did not get ONE WORD, about the need about, and for the possibility of plus-prevention (and any other methods) when I was at 20/40 and –1.0 diopters.

I seek, “freedom of information” on that issue.  Just tell me the truth, and if I reject plus-prevention (or any other prevention), the entire responsibility and FAULT must be placed on myself.

Both of us know that ALL preventive ideas, methods and science – is choked off by the National Eye Institute.  This has been proven by Don Rehm’s requests to the NEI to be more responsive. 

In my judgment, a group of intelligent motivated engineers and pilots could conduct a successful preventive program – if they were told scientific truth, and had full control of the “measurement process”.

They would also have to have reason to GREATLY VALUE THEIR DISTANT VISION.  Most people totally lack the motivation to do it.  We know that people in that situation - make themselves successful.

But all our  begging, to  be “open minded” to the NEI, about even the possibility of true-prevention – is rejected, out of hand with NO POSSIBILITY OF AN INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION OF SCIENCE AND FACTS.  Everyone loses  because of that basic denial of scientific truth.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/can-get-thoughts/

Yours is the ONLY active program of prevention.  I think if there is going to be any intelligent change for the future, it will have to develop from your efforts. You can count on my total support for your work.

Otis

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:08:18 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:43:39 AM »
Using "Active Focus" to get to 20/40.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/underestimating-active-focus/

There are many techniques. 

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
Subject: Having the courage, discipline and resolve - to make all the objective measurements - yourself.

This is not a "slam" against an OD in his office.  It is just that accurate measurements for him - are not possible.  Part of the reason is explained by Dr. Alex.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/yeti-hunting-vision/

He explains the 25 percent habitual over-prescription - which is always denied.  There is no sense in arguing with an OD about this issue.  This is why a child with acceptable 20/40, is prescribed a -1.5 to -2.5 diopter lens, with NO discussion to be careful and NOT WEAR IT.  This "omission" is why we have kids getting stair-case myopic, going up to -7 diopters in 10 years.  The child never knew the DANGER of that minus lens.

This is WHY I have my Snellen up, and take the TIME to get my refraction accurately (at +1.0 diopters).  I also get my visual acuity accurately, mostly 20/20, but some times 20/18 and 20/15.

But I encourage all people to go through an "educational process", where they follow Dr. Alex skilled advice.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:26:46 AM »
Subject:  I do admit that prevention does take real personal resolve, and, as far as I am concerned, must be started before you allow your Snellen to go below 20/60.  I do support all preventive methods.

Here are my remark about Dr. Alex's request for your commentary - and for your interest.

+++++

Dear Alex,

I often wondered why I did not get ONE WORD, about the need about, and for the possibility of plus-prevention (and any other methods) when I was at 20/40 and –1.0 diopters.

I seek, “freedom of information” on that issue.  Just tell me the truth, and if I reject plus-prevention (or any other prevention), the entire responsibility and FAULT must be placed on myself.

Both of us know that ALL preventive ideas, methods and science – is choked off by the National Eye Institute.  This has been proven by Don Rehm’s requests to the NEI to be more responsive. 

In my judgment, a group of intelligent motivated engineers and pilots could conduct a successful preventive program – if they were told scientific truth, and had full control of the “measurement process”.

They would also have to have reason to GREATLY VALUE THEIR DISTANT VISION.  Most people totally lack the motivation to do it.  We know that people in that situation - make themselves successful.

But all our  begging, to  be “open minded” to the NEI, about even the possibility of true-prevention – is rejected, out of hand with NO POSSIBILITY OF AN INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION OF SCIENCE AND FACTS.  Everyone loses  because of that basic denial of scientific truth.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/can-get-thoughts/

Yours is the ONLY active program of prevention.  I think if there is going to be any intelligent change for the future, it will have to develop from your efforts. You can count on my total support for your work.

Otis
I agree very much with the motivation part. I think most people today indeed just don't value their distance vision anymore because we apparently don't need it as much in the environment most of us live in with all the books and computer screens and tablets and phones...I used to be too lazy to improve my vision. I had all the information there and I knew what to do but I didn't bother because I didn't have the energy to break my bad habits ie was too lazy (leaning forward too close to the screen, reading while really tired, etc), it's hard for some people