Author Topic: NEW to FORUM, hi all, have interesting questions... thx  (Read 2315 times)

Offline videogamer

NEW to FORUM, hi all, have interesting questions... thx
« on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
hey all,
I been reading this forum for many weeks now, im finally registered(after many days of waiting to be accepted) so i can ask some questions about my setups. I am 100% dedicated to my goal of getting to 20/20 even if it takes years. If I can get to using my computer with a +1.00 from that on point that will be a huge milestone. Right now I cant even use my computer without at least a -1.25 glasses.

I currently wear
R -3.25 CYL -1.75  173
L -3.75 CYL -.50    010
glasses and can see the full 20/30 line with them on, but can barely make out 1 20/20 letter. I have my snellen 20ft away

Without glasses I cant make out the first letter at 10feet. I have to be 4ft from snellen to see the first letter.

so now with my questions.
1) I printed out the Snellen Chart from the i-SEE webpage and used the options "fit to page" and also tried "scale". The chart still only takes up about 60% of the paper. Is that the correct letter size for the chart or is it supposed to fill the page 100%?

2) Which option would help my eyes more?
A) watching a 7" LCD with +3 diopter reading glasses at the blur. (my eyes only being a couple inches from screen)
OR
B) Watching on a 32" LCD with underpowered lens like -2.25 which my eyes would make the TV slightly blurry but Id still be able to watch it. (my eyes being 6ft away from screen)

3) Is it better to read at the blur where the letters are blurry but I can still read
OR
read just before the letters get blurry, so the letters are clear.

4) Are pinhole glasses a good replacement for minus lens?
Do they have a specific minus diopter or % of minus diopter to ones vision?

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: NEW to FORUM, hi all, have interesting questions... thx
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
1) http://forum.gettingstronger.org/index.php/topic,470.msg5736.html#msg5736

You should select "Actual size" when printing, the other choices you mentioned are wrong.

2) From my personal experience and books and due to the linear scale of the measuring the spherical lenses in diopters, I believe that it is hard to see clearly at close distance with a subcorrection above ~ +2,5 or +3 diopters. So When the myopia is above ~ -2,5D, as a first step subcorrecting by ~ +2,5D for close reading doesn't lead to plus lenses yet.

4) No, I think you have nothing to earn when using the pinhole effect in contrast with subcorrecting which may stimulate the retina correctly. With the pinhole effect you 'll have a portion of the image correctly cast on the retina but you will also have to get your brain used to seeing through holes and at some angles the image maybe distorted or double.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:07:42 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline videogamer

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:48:26 AM »

"2) From my personal experience and books and due to the linear scale of the measuring the spherical lenses in diopters, I believe that it is hard to see clearly at close distance with a subcorrection above ~ +2,5 or +3 diopters. So When the myopia is above ~ -2,5D, as a first step subcorrecting by ~ +2,5D for close reading doesn't lead to plus lenses yet."[/i]

Can you explain in laymens terms, im assuming your saying I should wear plus lens more like +1 or your saying I shouldn't use plus till my vision is better than -2.5 diopters?

"4) No, I think you have nothing to earn when using the pinhole effect in contrast with subcorrecting which may stimulate the retina correctly. With the pinhole effect you 'll have a portion of the image correctly cast on the retina but you will also have to get your brain used to seeing through holes and at some angles the image maybe distorted or double."

so an undercorrection stimulates the retina to become less myopic, while a pinhole glasses doesnt stimulate the retina?

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Hi videogamer,

there are many people who have used plus lenses. In the book "The Secret of Perfect Vision. How You Can Prevent or Reverse Nearsightedness" plus lenses practice is explained very good. So by my experience and also from that book more than +2,5 or +3 diopters added to the full prescription is unpractical to read close or benefit. When I wrote "leaner" I meant that you can add this ~+2,5D  to any degree your myopia is.

For the pinhole glasses we have the pinhole effect even without this glasses when the sun is very bright and our pupils shrink. Then we see better in the sun but is this a perfect vision; What do we do if we get used to that effect and try to see in the afternoon or at night; In both cases of full prescription or pinhole glasses we get by technical means a 20/20 without our eyes trying to compensate for the myopia.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:10:31 PM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline chris1213

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
If this was me a year ago, I would've liked someone to recommend  and tell me this:

The plus lens method is a great method to 'reverse' myopia. But I must say, many factors have contributed to our myopia and it's not only the minus lenses. That's why the plus lens method might help reverse the condition but the point is not only to get rid of myopia but to maintain good vision through life.

Fact is, the thing that deteriorated our eyes the most was wearing minus lenses while focusing close up, that elongates the eye. But myopia starts only as a stress syndrome. For example, too much time close-up (main reason), the lighting around us, the screen resolutions of the monitors we use...etc. After the stress, we go to an optician and get some minus prescribed. Most of us are NOT told at all that we shouldn't use minus lenses while focusing close up, so what starts as -1.5 or -2 becomes -3, then -4 and so on.

I started the method with -2 on my right eye and -1.5 on my left one. It had been a year or so since I had my last eye exam at the time so I might have been a little bit more myopic or maybe less.The first day I read the Snellen Chart without my contact lenses I could see the 20/200 line.

After 2-3 weeks of wearing the plus about 3 hours a day I was able to make the 20/70 line with both eyes. Since then I stopped wearing my contacts, and kept the work. I went to 20/60 after 3 months or so and then to 20/50. The results were coming months after months and I was highly motivated to keep going. (You can read some of my posts of past months where I share questions and my experience).

The world around me was blurred though - if someone said hi I could barely notice who it was; I visited many places and could barely remember them; it was also hard to remember the way I got from one place to another, etc.  I just wanted to get fast results but this was frustrating.

BUT THEEEN... I hit a plateau (the long period of time that we don't get results anymore). Breaking out a plateau is kind of hard because our eyes stop responding to the stimulus we put on them, and it takes a lot of patience to break out of it while keeping a positive attitude.

Now, some 4 months into the plateau I read on this forum about Alex Frauenfeld, a behavioral ophthalmologist who has had many years of experience at his clinic in Austria helping people recover from myopia (and I think also hyperopia). He created this website www.frauenfeldclinic.com and it's worth taking a look at it.

If you go to the blog, he shares many things about eyesight that are really helpful on the recovery, he also did an interview with Todd Becker (the owner of this site) and has a forum which you can also check out. He offers a program for like $99 which one can take to work on his method. However, he always says that you don't even need the program, reading through the blog posts and the forum is enough. It indeed is, I already took the program and you don't really need it if you're motivated enough and just read the forum, his free blog posts and keep working on the 'recovery.'

I tell you this because when I started with this method I was seeing great results hoping to get rid of my myopia very fast but it's not that fast of a process (remember, many of us have been wearing minus lenses for quite a time and it's not like we undo it from one day to the other). After getting Alex's method though, I broke out of the plateau and I'm experiencing improvements again (most mornings I can read the 20/20 line perfectly with -0.75 and then the rest of the day I can read it with a -1). But I think I would've gained way more results if I had started with the program the right way from scratch.

So in case you do listen to my words, I truly recommend Alex's program or at least just reading/skimming through the website. It's not worth it to get through frustrating days of blurred vision. It's not worth wasting more time only to break out of a plateau.

You can message me if you need me to help you out with anything or keep posting questions so all the community here helps you out too.

I wish you success man,

Chris
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:25:42 AM by chris1213 »

Offline videogamer

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »
thx for the great help guys!

3 weeks 20/200 to 20/70 is amazing, i know my vision right now is worse than 20/200, cant see that letter on the chart clearly at all.

If i wore +1 reading glasses  just to watch tv or on computer lets say 3 hours a day, would that be enough to make a change in my vision(and is there a big difference between reading glasses while everything blurry with them(cus ur looking few feet away) or wearing them and reading up close so its on focus)?  or is the only place that can make a big change is if ur at the point where u see blur creeping up on the clear image?

Offline chris1213

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »
Adding to the response I sent you by e-mail here's a very recent post on the Frauenfeld Clinic you might want to read:

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/benefits-seeing-behavioral-ophthalmologist/