Author Topic: Plus lens therapy without glasses works better for me?  (Read 11755 times)

Offline NickGrouwen

Plus lens therapy without glasses works better for me?
« on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:50 AM »
Hi, I've been doing the plus lens therapy with a buddy of mine. We both started out using reading glasses but then my buddy found out he was making better and faster and more noticeable progress by just reading slightly blurry text without glasses. He was annoyed with the glasses so he took them off and it turned out to work great for him. I myself have also not made much progess, a little in the beginning, but as the weeks went on, not much...so I took off my reading glasses also and just started to adopt the habit of sitting as far away from the computer screen as is possible, which is what this guy ho_from_vietnam over on the iblindnes forum (Bates forum) has been doing, with GREAT success:
http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3074&p=20292&sid=8897983c598cb2ea42fcd022f0f829a0#p20292
(I don't believe in the Bates Method anymore but this particular thread caught my eye)

I know using plus lenses and holding the book/screen as far away as possible without plus lenses, are generally the same thing but ,does anybody else here experience better success with plus lens therapy without actually using plus lenses?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Plus lens therapy without glasses works better for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
Hi Nick - Wecome to the Forum!

What you are describing is what I have called "print pushing".  In fact, unless your myopia is weak (less than -2 diopter correction), there is no point to using plus lenses, since anything further than 20 inches from your nose will be blurry without glasses.   If you are a strong myope, just sit with reading material or computer at the blur point, and allow the print to just barely clear as you read.  The other thing a strong myope can do is to get a pair of reduced prescription lenses -- shave half a diopter off the formal prescription -- and wear these for distance viewing activities.

A weak myope, with less than -2 diopter prescription, can benefit from using plus lenses when reading.  As the myopia reduces, you can shift to stronger plus lenses, just as a weight lifter increases the weight on a barbell after getting stronger.

Make sense?

Todd

Offline jansen

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
Hey Nick,

That's a question that I've been trying to figure out myself (Print pushing by pushing text further away than usual, vs using plus lenses). I currently use plus lenses for books, and no lenses (text slightly blurred) for laptop use.

Offline chris1213

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:01 AM »
Excellent post NickGrowen, thank you very much.

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
Hi Nick - Wecome to the Forum!

What you are describing is what I have called "print pushing".  In fact, unless your myopia is weak (less than -2 diopter correction), there is no point to using plus lenses, since anything further than 20 inches from your nose will be blurry without glasses.   If you are a strong myope, just sit with reading material or computer at the blur point, and allow the print to just barely clear as you read.  The other thing a strong myope can do is to get a pair of reduced prescription lenses -- shave half a diopter off the formal prescription -- and wear these for distance viewing activities.

A weak myope, with less than -2 diopter prescription, can benefit from using plus lenses when reading.  As the myopia reduces, you can shift to stronger plus lenses, just as a weight lifter increases the weight on a barbell after getting stronger.

Make sense?

Todd
Thank you Todd yes I know what you mean, I've already gone through the posts on your main site a couple of weeks ago so I know about print pushing. I didn't write my post very clearly I guess lol. My point is that I seem to have better success without using reading glasses. My vision never seems much clearer when I take off the glasses after a reading session. My eyes focus on the blurry text much faster without glasses. I'm trying to find out if it is indeed more simple and effective to just adopt the habit of keeping your books and screens as far away as is possible rather than using reading glasses. You see, Bates argues that all glasses are bad and must be discarded. I'm not a Bates practitioner anymore but he made a few good points here and there. I don't know if reading glasses can be harmful to the eye, but I'd rather not take the risk anyhow :P

I realize now that plus lens therapy/print pushing has something in common with a technique Dr. Bates applied sometimes. He would have his patients read cards or books with very small print (or diamond type as he called it) on them.
http://bettereyesightnow.com/article_tinyprint.htm
I guess it's essentialy the same thing as print pushing. He argued that unless you relax, you cannot read the fine print, and that it's sometimes okay to strain to see the fine print = having the eyes focus to make out the blurry text.

Offline chris1213

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
The best thing of the forum is to have different views that add up to an approach towards best vision. I think there is not one exact way of reversing vision, each one of us has a different life style, needs and circumstances through which we live in. All theses aspects affect our vision in different ways . The best thing of having discussion forums is that we can take those different views and come up with a personal approach applying what we find best for us.