Author Topic: profound effect of plus lenses  (Read 3243 times)

Offline CapitalPrince

profound effect of plus lenses
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Sam. I'm new to this forum, but I have been using plus lenses for less 2 months. I'm seeing some slight improvements. I can now easily read the 20/30 in decently lighting. In very bright sunlight i see 20/25 or 20/20. But my vision is no means very sharp. In dim lightning i see 20/50-20/40.

I am a senior in high school(17). I just got my Dec SAT score back and i got a 800 on math(2330 total)! My previous score was a 700 math (2120). I use to make lots of stupid mistakes in math. I think thats because having to read so close is very very stressful for the eyes and brain. That leads to eye fatgiue and stupid mistakes in all areas. I think the plus lens was one of the main reasons that allowed me to achieve such a high sat score. The plus lenses makes everything farther away reducing strain. This was totally unexpected that it would have such a positive effect on other areas of my life.

I will continue using the plus lens and doing various eye improvement techniques to recover my vision. I had extremely sharp vision my whole life and I desperately want to have my good eyesight back. I don't ask for perfect vision back, but i really want to get to the point where i have no difficulty seeing in class. I thank everyone in this forum and will continue to update my progress.

Offline chris1213

Re: profound effect of plus lenses
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
I wish you success man.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:37:29 PM »
Hi Sam an group,

Subject: What Dr. Alex recommends - for long-term close work.

We live in a world, where everything we do is "near".  Sam reports "close-to" 20/20.  With that status, he can use a +2 to +2.5 for all work on computers or tablets like this one.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/reduce-eye-strain-using-tablet/

It is obviously my opinion, that when we are "taught to read", we should be taught to put a plus lens on, at the same time.  A great deal of science suggests that necessity.  But it is very difficult to understand WHY it is necessary.

I am just pleased that a highly qualified ophthalmologist recommends that we do it.  But only the person himself - can convince himself that it is necessary.  I certainly learned, "the hard way" that it is necessary.  I only wish that more medical people would get into this type of advocacy.  But they never feel that it is their responsibility - so true-prevention falls through the cracks.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »
I also learned this the hard way. My high school experience would be less painful if i wore plus lenses for all close work. I remember doing homework at 2am everyday of the computer with my head inches from the screen. I should feel lucky my vision is still fairly okay. Even though my vision is 20/20 sometimes, things after 20/40 are still blurry. When i look through a -0.5D its like wow! everything is so sharp.

I read some stuff about the retinal defocus theory. still its hard to accept that the eye will move in the positive direction a significant amount and at the pace that the eye moves in a negative direction.   

I plan to make vision improvement my top priority before i go to college next year. Hopefully by sept 2014 i can see a very noticeable difference so i don't have to deal with pnholes during class. I will try a variety of eye improvement techniques along with plus lenses and will update on the effectiveness it had on me

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
I think ALL students should use the plus lens, not purely for myopia, but to reduce strain. A strong plus lens has made using the computer and reading SO much easier.
I can't fathom how i survived 3 years of high school with things inches away from my faces.

I was always a very "variable" test taker due to stress. If i disscovered plus lenses before high school i could have done better in high school with less stress. (sigh)

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:52:52 AM »
Hi Sam,

Subject: When I DOUBT the desired effect of a plus (required to be worn when I have 20/50 vision) - I look at this science.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/pos_lens_induce_hyperopia.swf

This is indeed objective science - which you can choose to believe - or choose to ignore. What this tells me, is that the refractive STATE of the eye will respond (albeit slowly) to a correctly-used plus lens.

The problem in optometry - is that they refuse to believe this conceptual model of the eye.  They also know that, unless the person is "gifted" to understand this behavior, the person simply will not wear the plus correctly.

For me, this is the conceptual and scientific basis for prevention.  For most people, this type of science does not seem to be important.

This type of science, only backs up what Todd and others have stated about their wise use of the plus.  That they got to better-than 20/40, and most to 20/20 - very slowly.

I think ALL students should use the plus lens, not purely for myopia, but to reduce strain. A strong plus lens has made using the computer and reading SO much easier.
I can't fathom how i survived 3 years of high school with things inches away from my faces.

I was always a very "variable" test taker due to stress. If i disscovered plus lenses before high school i could have done better in high school with less stress. (sigh)

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:43:05 AM »
From young age I had a gut feeling that
- glasses prescriptions are overprescribed
- eyes will respond rapidly to a negative environment
- astigmatism was totally dumb and used to "lure" people in
- the price of glasses is totally outrageous, how can pieces of metal cost $100+
- you can destroy a perfectly good eye with strong minus very fast
- eye doctors probably know that glasses are indeed harmful

i don't think it takes "gifted" to notice all the warnings. But i thought glasses were inevtiable and sooner or later i would be dependent on them. I takes truly gifted intellect and determination to find a solution.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
Hi TomLu,
what is accommodation lag/lead?

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
tom i think some ODs are maybe misinformed.  however the OD that i visited was clearly malicious. Before high school i had very sharp vision (max acuity). I didn't even think bout my eyes. But the OD said i had "astigmatism" and I must get glasses or it will get worse. The glasses will "correct" my vision i was told. So i wore them even though i got heachaches. And what do you know a few weeks later they destroyed my eyesight. -0.75D astiigmatism is pretty damn annoying. (sorry i keep complaining about this)   

If the OD really wanted to sell glasses, she should really just have sold me plano or low plus lenses instead of exaggerating the problem and giving false info to harm people.

They don't realize these are people EYES. and some people do not want to wear glasses for LIFE

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Hi CapitalPrince

since your astigmatism is myopic then I think you can also benefit with just simple spherical plus. Mr Otis Brown has also given a math type for some approximation of "adding" minus cylinders to a total of minus diopters (when someone has also myopia).