Author Topic: Whats quickest way to relax your eyes full after watching tv for few hours?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline CapitalPrince

so the conclusion is that strong (+6D+) plus lenses are not neccessary and the common belief that eye elongation is irreversible is false?

Offline FonkStreet

Hi Alex, thank you for the quote of the PDF.

Believe it or not, 45 minutes is actually very significant for tree shrews. This is because myopic defocus signals are much stronger than hyperopic defocus

NO!

In your study, there is not myopic defocus because "Tree shrews are ∼20 D hyperopic when their eyes open."

So, even with a + 10D lens, a tree shrew eye is not in myopic defocus!

This study is useless for us.

Offline FonkStreet

the common belief that eye elongation is irreversible is false

This common belief is shit.

Offline CapitalPrince

the only study about axial length was. http://www.iovs.org/content/51/12/6262.full.
From 60 min defocus there was a mean -13 micrometer change in axial length. since a 3D myope has an eye that is 1mm longer, if we assume linear progression it is expected to take 77 hours of defocus to achieve 0D.

This study was too short to have to be truly conclusive.

Offline OtisBrown

Hi Tom,

Otis> This is indeed the "show stopper", in any MEDICAL "human experiment" - on ignorant people, i.e., "patient".

Tom>  Oh there are many of them. But not really useful to us anyway. In case you are wondering why it's so short, it's because of the ethical guideline on human research. Note that even though the change are small. They are consistent across the subjects too. It's hard to even get a study like this.

Otis> The other issue is the FEAR a person might have about wearing the plus (when at 20/40 to 20/50, and -1.0 diopters).  We have seen many people, recoil in fear, if it is suggested that they take plus-prevention seriously.  I don't blame them - as there are many reasons a person will "think up" his own reasons to "fear the plus".  Further, most people simply do not value their distant vision ENOUGH to truly make the commitment.

Otis> But equally, we know that some people "figure out", that it would be wise to make the commitment to wearing the plus (at 20/40, and -1 diopter), and managed to slowly change their refractive STATE, in a positive direction.  But no one in medicine and ever do this - for as you say - the "ethical considerations".

Otis> But I always maintain that a person, like Todd, and pilots, who MUST go from -1 diopter to +1/2 diopters (because their desired professional career is worth $100,000 per year), manage to do it by their own wisdom.  But this is not a medical solution at all.

Otis> But for fear of law suits, no OD or MD will be willing to even suggest this possibility.  Further, to make it work - means technical knowledge and persistence.  If successful - the OD will not care about it - but you will.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:07:04 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline videogamer

Im still unsure about the best plus to wear to get my eye to shorten the fastest. I have -3.25 vision. So would that mean a +1 or +3 or +6 is ideal. I understand w my +6 i cant see unless my iphone is right in my face; so lets say my experiment was not to focus on anything close enough to read but instead im just going to stare at a tv 10 feet away. Although +1 is less blurry than the others it is still blurry so my question is, if i wore each lens for 3 hours watching tv at 10 feet away, which + would cause the  eyes to shorten the most? Keep in my im already -3.25. ( i realize everyone will have different opinions but im still very interested in seeing the opinions you guys have and why. And if anyone in this forum ever tested there own eyes using different + id love to know there own findings.