Author Topic: Whats quickest way to relax your eyes full after watching tv for few hours?  (Read 4582 times)

Offline videogamer

Whats quickest way to relax your eyes full after watching tv for few hours? I can feel my eyes getting strained. I put on +6 n stare into nothingness straight ahead, the wall which is a blur. Whats ur opinion on what i been doin. And what techniques do u think work best

Offline CapitalPrince

you shouldn't watch tv for a few hours. palming is great. putting a warm towel over your eyes is also very nice. you shouldn't abuse your eyes more. almost all of us here are because we failed to take care of our eyes.

Offline Alex_Myopic

In the "myopia manual" there are studies that suggest that wearing plus lenses over +5 to +6D can even make myopia worse. I think that when palming the accommodation muscles relax as seeing in the infinite.

Offline videogamer

Why does +5 make u more myopic? Whats correct way to palm ur eyes.

Offline FonkStreet

In the "myopia manual" there are studies that suggest that wearing plus lenses over +5 to +6D can even make myopia worse. I think that when palming the accommodation muscles relax as seeing in the infinite.

what page please?

Offline OtisBrown

Hi Fonk,

Here is the manual:

http://www.myopia-manual.de/

Enjoy,

Offline OtisBrown

Hi Video,

That is just bullshit - about the plus lens "causing" myopia.  Here is what the scientific data shows about the "correct use" of a plus.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/pos_lens_induce_hyperopia.swf

Thus, a "correctly worn plus" (providing you still can read the 20/30 line) can produce a change of status - in the positive direction.  This means that the plus (when used for all near work) can have the effect of SLOW CLEARING of your Snellen.

The plus does not cause negative-change in refractive status.

The minus can induce negative-change in the refractive status of the natural eye - or in effect causing more myopia.  The plus does not "cause myopia".

Why does +5 make u more myopic? Whats correct way to palm ur eyes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:51:43 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline FonkStreet

Hi Otis, thank you for the link.

Offline Alex_Myopic

Hi FonkStreet,

search the pdf for "plus".  There is a researcher that strongly believes about the good of plus below +3 and some studies which show that plus can deteriorate myopia when above +6.
With +6D lenses has nothing to do with seeing at the edge of blur even in an emmetropic eye even at very close distance.

Offline FonkStreet

Hi Alex, I have not found the studies in the PDF.

With +6D lenses has nothing to do with seeing at the edge of blur even in an emmetropic eye even at very close distance.

I am not agree with you. An emmetropic eye with +6D, at a little less than 16 cm (1/6), are at the edge of blur.

Offline OtisBrown

HI Fonk,

You are correct.  A normal eye with a refractive state of 0.0 diopters, will see clearly at 6 six inches (and closer). If the person has an accommodation range of 4 diopters, that person will be able to read a 16 cm and at four diopters closer.

I think Alex is an engineer.  With all due respect -perhaps Alex did not understand the question.

I am not agree with you. An emmetropic eye with +6D, at a little less than 16 cm (1/6), are at the edge of blur.

Offline OtisBrown

Hi Tom,

Let me clarify one point:

Tom>  For me, the real concern of wearing very strong plus lens is ophthalmological. For those of you wearing plus lens, you should be able to feel a pull exerting on your eyes when you're looking far. For some of you, you will just have try a +6D yourself to feel the intensity of that pull.

Otis> From everything I have presented, I do not recommend the wearing of +6 diopter lens.   It just blurs everything - beyond 6 inches.  For a person who can still read 20/50 to 20/40 (refractive state -0.75 diopters) it is entirely possible to wear a +2.25 to +2.75 diopter plus lens - ad read at 18 inches.  Further, as you stated some might fell some "pulling" as they read at that distance. I personally have no "pulling", only a felling of "relaxation", and comfort.  If I look in the distance, I of course will see blur.  But then I remove the plus - an my distant vision is very clear.

Otis> But I am always objective about this work.  Perhaps some get "headaches", and others might complain of "double-vision", but to me, preserving my distant vision is worth it.

Offline FonkStreet

Quote from: TomLu
Months before I was scavenging studies on myopia. There is indeed one study on tree shrew showing that +6D to +10D worsen myopia (i.e., does not compete with hyperopic defocus induced by minus lens).

Hi TomLu,

Does not compete with hyperopic defocus does not mean worsen myopia. In your study, the difference of refractive state between, the full time wearing of -5D and the wearing of -5D interrupted by only 45 minutes of +6D or +10D, is not significant.

And the number of subjects (n=5) in each groups is not enough. The time of myopic defocus is not enough either.

Many studies show that the eyes can respond to strong defocus and shorten.

Offline Alex_Myopic

@FonkStreet @OtisBrown

With all due respect too but I haven't specified the centimeters. I wrote "even at very close distance". I believe that reading at 16cm is somehow impractical. Even if someone does this when reading a book then most likely is that he puts too much pressure in his neck and back At 16cm then only one or two cm play a major role and he can be out of the edge of blur or having no blur at all while reading from top to the bottom of the page with his head steady or if he moves his head a little away/near from 16cm.

Also reading at 16cm even with plus does cause great angle of convergence, the same as with no plus at the same distance.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:47:45 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline Alex_Myopic

Hi FonkStreet,

in the myopia manual January edition,

page 81 in the book (93 in the pdf automatic numeration)
"In other words, plus lenses were working in the opposite direction as excessive accommodation or
negative lenses, as long as their power did not exceed a certain threshold."
"Results of by Metiapally and McBrien showed191: "Constant +4 D lens wear produced
+6.9 D relative hyperopia, while +6 and +9.5 D lens wear did not induce hyperopia"

page 82
"c) A positive replacement lens (+ 3, + 4, + 5 D) resulted in about half of the cases in myopia,
in the other half myopia was prevented. The + 6 D and the + 10 D lenses, however, were
ineffective in blocking the myopia."

page 92
"Excessive use of plus lenses, however, which results in a degraded image quality results often in
the onset or the progression of myopia (result c)).

Note:
Obviously, it depends on the duration and the strength of accommodation, and the duration and
extent of degraded image quality.
Therefore people who are most of the day doing near work with plus lenses or plus additions
which still give them a perfect image should not be at great risk by the occasionally reduced image
quality at distant vision with these plus glasses or plus additions. In this case, there would be no
excessive accommodation, and only a short time of reduced image quality."

page 53
"Ophthalmologist Viikari summarizes her lifelong experience by the recommendation of additions
of even as high as + 3.0 D"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:28:50 AM by Alex_Myopic »