Author Topic: prisms with plus lens?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline CapitalPrince

prisms with plus lens?
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
I have read in several places that it would be beneficial to combine prisms with plus lens. I know its not necessary, but maybe it can accelerate the pace? Has anyone tried this before?

Offline Alex_Myopic

Re: prisms with plus lens?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
When with prism it reduces the convergence. But if we have a prism in plus glasses it can work only for one steady distance of reading in order to make eyes parallel and will only make less convergence when in closer distance. But if we look further from the recommenced distance of reading it wil provoke unnatural divergence of eyes (strabismus).
By patching you can also have zero convergence which (the convergence) is believed by some studies to be a myopia development factor.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:01:23 PM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »
wait there are studies that showed using only one eye and patching the other cause an increase in myopia?

logically it seems patching one eye gives zero convergence accommodation which maybe beneficial.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
My typo mistake, I edit it now with -> which

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
Hi Alex and Sam,

A prism is very heavy - for full convergence cancellation.  If you wish to end "convergence", a Myopter will do a better job of it. See:

http://www.myopia.org/myoptercasehistories.htm

But as always, it take self-motivation to use it.

Best,

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
Hi Tom,

Since they wished to discuss the subject - I think reviewing the prism/or Myopter is important.  Prism glasses from an OD would cost from $150 to $200, not to mention the exam and follow-up for another $200.

Personally, for me, the plus does the job of prevention.  Each of us will have to make that choice on his own.

Myopter is about 200 bucks though. And it's heavier than prism.

(Sigh) Since you guys are interested in convergence, I just want to tell you that I'm reviewing the thesis of an OD, and there will be an interesting post related to oculomotor balance.  8)

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
the glasses in zenni optical have a choice for prism values. are there enough options on there to cancel convergence? sorry i know don't know much about prisms and what prescriptions i need for what distance.