Author Topic: Motivation and Success - go together.  (Read 1079 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Motivation and Success - go together.
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
Subject:  Prevention will always involved an "educated, self-motivated person" - who makes all critical measurements himself.

To encourage your new ideas, and an understanding that plus-prevention is possible - and how to make your own measurements, as well as pass the required visual standard (at home) I will post these remarks from Dr. Alex's site.

Our goals are very similar, and I appreciated Dr. Alex's 40 years commitment to the goal of successful prevention.  I will add my own remarks to encourage you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:55:30 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Motivation and Success - go together.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:53:43 PM »
Dr. Alex is indeed a modern-day Dr. Bates.  I only wish there were more ophthalmologists who would promote prevention, and strongly for people who can still read the 20/60 line, with no minus lens.  I do not "post" on Dr. Alex's site - since he must be the only person providing suggestions and advice.

I do think that if you have a -1.0 diopter prescription, this man could probably read 20/40 on his "home" Snellen - if he checked.  He has used a plus, and I think that is the reason he has gotten close to -1 diopters.

The last "phase" of successful prevention, is to pass the DMV requirement, to almost get rid of the minus.  That means you can concentrate on ONLY wearing the plus for near - a great advantage to a person who seeks to get rid of a minus lens.

But it also means, self-checking, and self-confidence -- to continue personally measuring both your Snellen (visual acuity), and refractive state (using your own plus and minus lenses). 

What I advocate concerns this "last phase", where the person changes his refractive STATE from -3/4 diopters, to +1/2 diopters - thus given him superior 20/20 vision.

This is indeed a,  "learning experience" for all of us.

++++++

By Christian,

Last month I visited the Spanish-speaking country where I used to live before. Eye exams are way cheaper there than the US so I thought it was better to wait some time and do take one over there. I had been thinking about getting an eye exam for some time because I had first started with the plus lens method for about 4 months and I just took off my contacts and never wore them again. Then I had been working with the Frauenfeld Method for about seven months and I thought it was time to go to an ophthalmologist and get and exam to be a little bit more accurate on my measurement. I tried to look for behavioral ophthalmologists over there but unfortunately there are none. The ophthalmic surgeon I found was still good and open minded. I’m glad that when I asked him (without telling him I’ve read about eyesight) about the cause of myopia he said there where many factors that contributed to myopia and didn’t really mention much about genetics but talked more about stress, reading, rural and urban areas, etc.

As I have specified in my ‘signature,’ my last prescription (when I used to wear my contacts) was R -2 C -0.75 Axis 010 and L -1.5 C -0.75 Axis 180. Now, my recent check up states R -1 C -1.25 Axis 23 and L -0.75 C -1.25 Axis 169. It was very motivating to know that I went from -2 to -1 in my right eye and from -1.5 to -0.75 in my left eye in this amount of time. I really thank God I found this website and that I kept pushing myself even when I wanted to give up, and also thank Dr Alex very much for his method.

I do think however, that the astigmatism I was prescribed is a bit too high. I’ve read in the articles that any blink can distort the results so I guess my astigmatism is lower than the one prescribed. If anyone or Dr. Alex has a suggestion about it I would appreciate it.

Here is my progress and I hope it also motivates whoever is reading to keep pursuing their goals.

Christian

I'm 19, I needed glasses since I was 13 (2007), I rarely wore them though, I only wore contact lenses from 2010 - 2012 (Last eye exam: end of 2011): R -2.00 -0.75 010 L -1.5 -0.75 180 --------- Currently: L -1 R -1.25

++++++

Additional Commentary:

I consider contact lenses to be the worst solution.  They can cause cornea "conditions" in some people. I would them - and they were truly bad for me.  By exceeding the 20/40 line, you can avoid them and the cost of them.  When I argue for "plus prevention", I have that idea in mind.  (No contacts, no Lasik, no expense, but strong personal responsibility to maintain better-than 20/40.)

Christian, is at age 19 -- and I presume in college.

Any rational review is that this man's refraction will go down by about -1.5 diopters in four years.  (U.S. Naval Academy Records).  That must be a consideration - in his success.  I regret that so few people are told this - when entering a four year college.  This is not a "threat", it is simple statistical truth.  But no one bothers to tell you this.

Astigmatism of this low level - is not necessary.  I always convert to "spherical", by taking 1/2 the cylinder value and add it to the spherical.  I also measure my own refraction by just using spherical lenses - that give me 20/20.

Final success is 1) Exceeding the 20/40 line, so  you can avoid the minus and any astigmatic lens, and 2) With continued wearing of a plus, begin passing the 20/20 line.  But the "college issue" must be understood - if you go to college.  There is no "cure" or "permanent solution" for a college student - even after he gets to 20/20.  In fact, he will have to monitor his Snellen, and re-start with the plus when he sees his vision start down towards 20/40.

Nothing I have said here - is ever critical of the medical profession.  The issue a matter of you developing your personal wisdom, to protect your distant vision - for life.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:40:31 AM by OtisBrown »