Author Topic: Blinking hard improves vision temporarily?  (Read 5224 times)

Offline murradyl

Blinking hard improves vision temporarily?
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
I just found out that if i blink hard, but not too hard, my vision will go from 20/50 to 20/20, sometimes 20/15. But it has some double vision along with it, nothing severe. They are almost like clear flashes. Can anyone explain whats going on?

Offline CapitalPrince

Re: Blinking hard improves vision temporarily?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
hi murradyl

good question. I also experience this. Some poeple in frauenfeld clinic have also experienced. myopia goes from ciliary myopia (in the muscles and lens) to axial myopia (real elongation of the eye).  When you are blinking, sometimes that can cause the cornea/eye to shorten.you may notice slight double, sometimes crazy vision, and sometimes very clear vision. 

eye elongation is reversible, but unfortunately its very slow and you need to use the plus or do distance focus for long periods of time.         

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi Murrady,

Congratulations on checking your Snellen - to see the range of 20/50 to 20/20.  This change is explained by a "tear film" that is altered by blinking.  All totally normal.  But it is transient - but a least a start.

I advocate that he Snellen always be on the wall - with bright light.  With 20/50 to 20/20 - you can avoid wearing a minus lens all the time (lucky you!)

But any REAL CHANGE, (in my opinion) means long-term wearing of a plus for all close work.  I know that is "daunting", and most people will not do it.

Success also depends on how old you are (in school, etc.)  It also depends on how much you truly value your distant vision.  But this site is about Todd - who managed to master the "art" of wearing the plus - himself.  No one can prescribe this.

I just found out that if i blink hard, but not too hard, my vision will go from 20/50 to 20/20, sometimes 20/15. But it has some double vision along with it, nothing severe. They are almost like clear flashes. Can anyone explain whats going on?

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
the reason this happens is that eye elongation causes the eyes to bulge out and so the eyelids now hit the tear film. ask any one with perfect eyesight, they will not have this problem.

I'm curious otis why do you totally reject the idea of eye elongation due to myopia?Didn't you develop a slight detached retina due to -7D of myopia?

you need to realize that close work causes myopia BECAUSE the ciliary muscles contract thus elongating the eye. It does not "move negative". Using a plus will not make anyone's eyes "move positive". A person  has to engage in 'negative acommodation' UNTIL he feels stress on his eyes.
no stress = no change in vision (positive and negative)..

It is not a good idea to tell everyone just to "wear the plus".

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

Hi Sam,

This question is a matter of personal preference. 

I choose to measure a refractive STATE, you prefer to measure an exact length.  Does it matter to you - or to me?

The following measure show a change of refractive STATE, from an applied minus 3 diopter lens.  It is an assumption that a "length" has changed - although I can see no reason to argue that point.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/neg_lens_induce_myopia.swf

Further, when you go to an optometrist - has he ever measured your length?  Does he write prescription and say your eye is 2.5 cm long, and therefore you are myopic? 

I prefer to measure my refractive STATE - myself.  I have no interest in the total or absolute "length" of my eye.

But if you would like to know the length of your eye - ask your optometrist to measure it for you.

the reason this happens is that eye elongation causes the eyes to bulge out and so the eyelids now hit the tear film. ask any one with perfect eyesight, they will not have this problem.

I'm curious otis why do you totally reject the idea of eye elongation due to myopia?Didn't you develop a slight detached retina due to -7D of myopia?

you need to realize that close work causes myopia BECAUSE the ciliary muscles contract thus elongating the eye. It does not "move negative". Using a plus will not make anyone's eyes "move positive". A person  has to engage in 'negative acommodation' UNTIL he feels stress on his eyes.
no stress = no change in vision (positive and negative)..

It is not a good idea to tell everyone just to "wear the plus".

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
No i do not need to know the "length" of my eye. BUT the reason these weird blinking problems occur is because the eye has lengthened. I already stated my views about this subject many times. There might not be  a direct correlation between length and refractive state, but there is axial elongation.

the discusiion of length is fairly important because it causes these issues as described and causes retinal detachment.

the lens, ciliary muscles, power of cornea, and axial length of the eye impact refractive state. Once the myopia has gottenn to certain extent, eye elongation is happening.

If someone is -10D, there is definite eye elongation,.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
Hi Sam,

If you love "length of eye" theory - then you will love this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDehC_Txa1U

This is "official science".    If you feel your eyes are "changing their length", that is great also.  You only need to change your length by less than a mm, to get to "positive status", and therefor 20/20.  If your total power is 60 diopters, you only need to change your power to 59 diopters.

But however you do it, only you can determine that your refractive STATE is positive, by use of your Snellen and (home made) trial lens kit.

I am certain that some optometrist will say you had "cosmetic" results, and that you did not actually "change your length".

You can argue with him - if you wish to do so.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:23:30 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline Ydgrunite

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
This is "official science".

So is that the state of "official science"?  A YouTube video from a high school physics teacher that mistakenly says a myopic person is far-sighted.

Let's get some things straight:
- You can't measure the length of your own eyes at home
- Few optometrists have the equipment in their office to measure axial length
- Despite this, axial length is the most objective measurement and that is why myopia researchers almost invariably use it

Animations of eye elongation and YouTube videos are not official science.  Official science is the overwhelming evidence of lens induced myopia that Dr. Alex pointed to recently in Google Scholarly results.

Snellen charts are the best option for home measurement, but they are subjective.  If you measure something on yourself, you are the subject.

Axial length is used in research because you get a precise measurement and because you cannot sit an animal in front of a Snellen and ask him, "Which is better, number one or number two?"

I appreciate CapitalPrince's discussion of eye length.  Not because I think that I can measure my own, but because it leads to a better understanding of how the eye works and how plus lens therapy can help.  Sometimes I read scientific studies and the discussion here in layman's terms helps to make sense of the studies.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
otis i do not understand you totally reject the idea of eye elongation. Yes if someone is has low myopia, there might not be a length problem.But once the strain gets locked in and myopia has moved beyond a certain point, there is 100% elongation.

If there is no "length ptoblem", you would not have gotten a detached retina from your -7D myopia.

Unfortunately some of your research is wrong or off.