Author Topic: How to correctly do print pushing?  (Read 6558 times)

Offline murradyl

How to correctly do print pushing?
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
I'm still confused on the subject of print pushing. How far do I push back? Do I stop when it blurs so slightly that I'm barely  even able to tell a difference? Or do I go to a medium like blur when It's blurry but I can still read?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: How to correctly do print pushing?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
Murradyl,

My recommendation is to push until you can just begin to see the blur.  Periodically test this limit by pushing back a little further and then inching forward until the print almost clears sharp.   This will allow you to read for several hours, with breaks every 15-30 minutes.   

Some people on this site have found it effective to induce a stronger blur.  I can't comment on whether or not that works, because I don't do it myself, and I don't think it can be sustained for hours without considerable discomfort.  Furthermore, I find that the focusing mechanism of the eye tends to "give up" if provided with too great a degree of defocus.  It's like the autofocus mechanism on a digital camera lens -- focusing occurs only where a certain degree of resolution can be detected.  The eye/brain circuit needs to know which direction to change, and it relies upon feature recognition, just like the autofocus lens.

A key principle of Hormetism is gradualism -- working at the edge of comfort, but never causing pain.  Pain or redness is a sign that you have pushed to far, and it's not beneficial.   I sometimes make an analogy with weight lifting.  If you lift weights less than your ability, you won't make progress.  If you try to lift too heavy a weight, it either won't budge or you'll hurt yourself.  If you select a weight right at the limit of your ability, generating discomfort but not pain, the muscles will respond by adapting and getting stronger.   There is a narrow window within which "stress" is beneficial.  There is an art to finding that edge.

You should also keep in mind the importance of rest between reading sessions.  Take frequent breaks and be sure to engage in looking at objects near and far.

All of these a just guidelines.  Experiment, and find what works for you.

Todd
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:07:12 PM by Todd Becker »

Offline murradyl

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »
I sometimes get a slight headache during/after reading with plus lenses. Is this pain bad?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
A slight headache -- not to worry.  See if it persists after a few days.  A splitting headache -- time to back off.  A little discomfort is the price of adaptation. 

Offline caimanjosh

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »
I would like to add my own ideas on this as well.  I would agree that Todd's suggestions are good, and likely will lead to success.  I also like the weight lifting analogy...in fact, many parts of this process of vision improvement can be likened to the general principles for building strength and muscle.  However, I would postulate that you can have success by using a stronger blur as well.  If you do it this way, you just need to spend less time pushing print.  In my experience, you can read with a strong blur for only maybe a half hour or so -- after that, your eyes will fatigue and you'll benefit from a rest break.  But you can definitely derive benefit from doing it this way.  I've mostly gone with this route -- strong blur for shorter periods of time -- and have managed to improve my vision from probably 20/70 to 20/20 in bright daylight.

This is again analogous to lifting weights.  With lifting weights, you can lift lighter weights for longer times (more reps) -- or you can go heavy, but you won't be able to do as many reps.  Both strategies can effect benefits.  I would postulate the same is true for print pushing. 

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
Push back until the blur is detectable but slight. You won't get benefit if the print is 100% sharp and you cannotndetect any blur.  The blur should be detectable, but so slight that it doesn't bother you or cause strain while reading. A slight discomfort is OK, but not pain.

But note that this is a dynamic process. As you read with the slight blur, you may find that it starts to clear, so you need to lush back again.  Or you may get tired or the light dim, so blur increases. Then you need to pull in.

This is not an exact science. Just like weight lifting or any adaptation process you need to find your way by experimenting.

Does that help?

Todd