Author Topic: Reading and passing your Snellen.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Reading and passing your Snellen.
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
Subject:  Many of you are working on vision-protection, or recovery of your distant vision.

Item: These are suggestions - that no optometrist has ever made to me.

Since a number of us are working to reduce our wearing of a minus lens, or eventually avoid wearing it completely, I suggest the following objective steps.  Please feel free to add your commentary to these insightful suggestions.  We all learn by working together on an objective goal - that makes sense to us.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:13:38 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Reading and passing your Snellen.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
For myself, I agree there are probably limits to what might be possible.  To protect myself, I have never said, "throw away your minus lenses."

Second, I want you to recover on a reasonable time frame.  I do not like making claims - that no person could ever meet.  But I have seen people with a -3 diopter lens, work with the plus, and in due course pass the "home" DMV requirement - and then go tot he DMV for final confirmation.

For this reason, if you have a -1, -2 and even a -3 diopter prescription, you should do your own checking. (This is similar to Dr. Bates recommendation as stated in his 1913 study - for much the same reason.)

You might well find that you can read the 20/50 line, but only with blinking and slight squinting.

For myself, I get some cheap, "test lenses" of 1/2 and 1 diopters for $20 (plus and minus) to check my refractive state myself. That saves me a lot of money, and avoids going to an OD for measurements that I can do more accurately myself.

Here are the charts and a short video on how I set-up my Snellen.  Since a number of us are checking, I think it is wise that we all use the same consistent Snellen.  I recommend you mark each line in big letters, so you can read the line at 20 feet, and don't have to walk up to the chart to see WHICH line you read 1/2 the letters correctly.

http://www.i-see.org/block_letter_eye_chart.pdf

Here is an electronic version.  Just click here, and on "Display" several times to get the 20/60 line.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html

This only problem is that I need someone to press "display" for me when I am at 20 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUkoSSgVOs

The only other thing I can add is that this is like "lifting weights", or getting on a scale, to see if you "lost weight" - objectively.  I would also add that this is a SLOW PROCESS, and you had better plan on a long-term effort.  20/40 is an early success - but it is not intended that you stop at that point.

Most people fear to wear the plus, and will not even start.  Others, did not really have the motivation to do it, and will quit after several weeks.  But a man who has a professional goal, like Brian Severson did, simply does not quit. I do not make judgments of that nature, but this is about a truly difficult problem - where you can "win" if you choose to do it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:18:39 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Reading and passing your Snellen.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
Subject:  Fear of wearing the plus for prevention.

I think this is one subject - that no optometrist will discuss with you.  Most people think that an optometrist will TALK to you about plus-prevention, while you can still read the 20/40 line.  Here is the reason they will not bother with that discussion.  It is indeed a legal reason.  Here is the commentary by Zane.

http://gettingstronger.org/2012/04/how-one-person-improved-his-vision/

Zane feared the plus - which he spells out in detail.  I do not ask a person to jump into the plus, unless he understands this specific issues.  Clearly Shadowfood used the plus, and exceeded the 20/20 line.  The plus does not cure in that sense of the word.  But, with personal wisdom, and fortitude, as described by Shadowfoot, wearing of the plus can always help you to keep your vision better-than 20/40, and if continued, to 20/20.  I think, that if Zane had continued with the plus - he would have succeeded.  But we will never know.  But I do know that in school, his vision will go down by -1/2 diopter per year, if he takes no preventive actions.  I regret his choice.

I think that anyone who is considering wearing the plus - should be prepared to face these issues. But people who develop there own success, do it with no optometric involvement.  I think Zane's response explains why you must be totally dependent on yourself, to use the plus correctly.

I do encourage everyone to continue with their work, but I am chastened by Zane's remarks, and we must factor that issue in with all preventive work we might do, with exercise and-or the plus.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:22:09 PM by OtisBrown »