Author Topic: my dad's vision improvement success  (Read 2389 times)

Offline CapitalPrince

my dad's vision improvement success
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
I want to share how my dad improved his vision from less than 20/40 (he did not pass the DMV 20/40) to 20/15 in about 3 months. He can read the 20/20 line anytime of the day now and says its very sharp (tested on multiple snellens).

My dad saw me trying to improve my vision and he also got motivated. He had a profound revelation that far stress held for long periods of time would somehow improve his eyesight. Instead of using plus lens he just did print pushing with a snellen. He would actively try to focus on the last line of the snellen he could see. He did this for an hour at a time and several hours a day (he practiced during work as well in his office). He got these clear flashes and would try to "hold" them, and practiced until his eyes hurt. And my dad also did hundreds of eye rotations each day.

He wore a -1D with cyl for a year, so i don't think its a case of pseudomyopia. He did have alot of trouble seeing 3 months before and had trouble playing tennis without glasses. Now everything is very very clear to him. I don't believe in these "quick solutions", but this is very shocking to hear my dad did it. He did put in alot of work and he estimated that he spent 200 hours + reading and focusing on the snellen. It kind of annoys me that he made this process look so easy, whereas i made minimal progress with the plus in 3 months.

He must have done SOMETHING right. the conclusion i took out of this is that to yield permanent improvement takes a sustained far stress held for a long time (at least an hour at a time). If you just do print pushing (with ot wi/o plus) for a few minutes here and there, that stress is not strong enough to permanently reshape the eye. The only problem is that it takes true PATIENCE to actively focus at snellen an hour at a time.

Offline OtisBrown

Re: my dad's vision improvement success
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
Hi Sam,

Subject: Many "paths" to the same confirmation of 20/20 on your own Snellen.

Item: This is the "line" that separates medicine, from your responsibility to yourself.

Item:  Success is totally dependent on YOU, and never an optometrist.

Since Dr. Bates promoted "exercise" for prevention (at 20/40), I am certain the exercise your father used, in fact works.  As long as he passes the DMV (and better) he will never wear a minus lens.  The real issue is that we must do this - before we go to an OD and are over-prescribed with a minus lens.

It is very difficult to "teach" these methods - I never doubt that truth.  The same issue exists for the wise use of a plus lens (before you go below 20/50 to 20/60).  It depends on your belief that it will work - and you should do it yourself.

I believe there are strong scientific reasons to teach, and wear the plus through the school years.

We know that Steven got most of his distant vision back, by very aggressive wearing of a plus.

But in all these cases, the answer comes completely from the person himself, and never from a medical person.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:37:55 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline NickGrouwen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »
Mr Otis is right. And again this goes to show that everyone is very very different. People like your dad made insane progress with print pushing without plus lenses. Then there's people like Steven on the other hand who wear the plus lens all day every day. I kinda do a bit of both, as both are very effective for me (just using plus lens doesn't work well, but wearing it letting the eyes wander keeping in mind the saccadic movements, in combination with naked eye print pushing from time to time). I've also been experimenting with something else right now but I'll withhold that for now until I know it really works...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:08:38 PM by NickGrouwen »

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
I have been doing myopic defocus with the snellen for about a week now (2 hours per day) and i am getting great results. The important thing is that i can really feel my eyes working. for some reason i couldn't really feel my eyes working with a plus lenses. Maybe reading passively isn't enough to generate good results. using a snellen i am actively pulling focus. I am at a weak 20/20 consistently (i can read all the letter but with some blur) and very happy with my progress in this week. However astigmatism is still an issue. 

I encourage anyone who is having a plateau with the plus to give this a try. but it does take alot of patience.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
HI Capital,

Subject: Each person must develop his OWN method.  The critical issue is to always pass the 20/40 line - and then the 20/20 line.

I encourage a person to AVOID the minus.  The only way to do that, is to objectively pass the 20/40 line yourself.  I do not care which "method" you use, but you must pass that line.

For a person entering a four year college, you can frankly tell them that their vision will go down by -1.5 diopters (and with less exercise), more like -2 diopters.  You can not tell that to the "average person", but when you know a person is going to college - you can be very serious and accurate about that issue - objectively.

But as long as you monitor your own Snellen - you can keep your vision though four years of college.

Best,

I have been doing myopic defocus with the snellen for about a week now (2 hours per day) and i am getting great results. The important thing is that i can really feel my eyes working. for some reason i couldn't really feel my eyes working with a plus lenses. Maybe reading passively isn't enough to generate good results. using a snellen i am actively pulling focus. I am at a weak 20/20 consistently (i can read all the letter but with some blur) and very happy with my progress in this week. However astigmatism is still an issue. 

I encourage anyone who is having a plateau with the plus to give this a try. but it does take alot of patience.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
I want to share how my dad improved his vision from less than 20/40 (he did not pass the DMV 20/40) to 20/15 in about 3 months.... He would actively try to focus on the last line of the snellen he could see. He did this for an hour at a time and several hours a day (he practiced during work as well in his office). He got these clear flashes and would try to "hold" them, and practiced until his eyes hurt. And my dad also did hundreds of eye rotations each day.

Maybe reading passively isn't enough to generate good results. using a snellen i am actively pulling focus.

Sam,

These are great results for both you and your dad!!  Absolutely fantastic.  I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what you are both doing that is speeding your progress.  There are three things I'm picking up from your comments (which I quoted right above) that differ from "standard" print pushing or use of plus lenses:

1.  Distant focusing works better than closer focusing.
2.  Focusing must be "active", not passive.
3.  Working at this for several hours a day speeds progress.

I think the "active focusing" part is crucial.  You can't just read or stare at print or objects; you have to really concentrate on seeing the specific features of a letter or edge that intially appears blurry or double, and actively make the effort to resolve the defocus.  I found that was key to my own success.  I do also think that viewing distant objects, or objects at varying distances, is more effective than only working at a computer screen or reading a book. However, distant viewing only works if your myopia is relatively mild.  If you have 20/100 vision, you won't be able to see very far with the unaided eye.

In my interview with Shadowfoot, he emphasized  the importance of "tracing" objects.  If you go back and read the post, "How one person improved his vision", here is what he said:

When reading, I try to give my eyes frequent breaks, even if it is only looking into the distance for a few seconds, and by making a habit out of distance gazing several times a day. I do this by tracing objects in the distance, such as tree branches or telephone lines, sometimes bare-eye and sometimes with plus lenses. They both seem to have advantages. And when I do that, I generally try to trace objects: the edges of houses, trees, etc, which I find more effective than just trying to “look” at things. Actually, just looking at things doesn’t really work at all, because your eye will tend to rest on things it can see well. That’s why you have to challenge the limits of your acuity.

This is precisely what I did myself.  I traced edges and other high contrast features of letters, buildings, trees, electrical wires, etc. until they resolved.  So it does seem that for many of us who have had success (Shadowfoot, you, your dad, myself) active engagement of the eye is crucial.  Passive "looking" doesn't provide the needed stimulus to changing the eye.

Keep the insights coming!

Todd

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 08:38:37 PM by Todd Becker »

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
thanks for the reply todd,

Yes I believe the reason why i made little progress with the plus with because i did not actively focus. I tried actively using the plus lenses today by moving the material farther and closer an doing lots of eye movements. I felt much more positive stimulus compared to just passively reading.

My dad is almost addicted to improving his vision. after he saw some initial progress he grew more excited and practiced more and more. His improvements may seem fast, but he spent a great deal of time (and in large blocks of time). The most important thing was that before his improvement process, when he blinked he experienced lots of weird things (which i believe is due to changes in the cornea by blinking due to an elongated eye). Also he experienced watery vision, slight double vision, and other issues. all of which are now gone. So i think his eye shape did change. It shows that a person can improve and the shape of the eye can change at any age.

I believe people who used bates were successful because they actively used their focus with shifting, which provided a positive stimulus for changes in the eye. sunning, palming, swaying also good for the health of the eye probably don't give much permanement results.

I also hope to reach 20/15+ like shadowfoot and beat my dad :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:25:08 PM by CapitalPrince »

Offline larrykkl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Hi Tom,
Since distant focusing works better than closer focusing, would practicing with the snellen chart at a distance (eg trying the clear lines without minus lenses) be more beneficial than print pushing with plus lenses?

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
actually i found that the plus works well too if i am actively clearing the blur. I do feel a great deal amount of stress eyes and i can feel my eyes are working. using the snellen (or poster, sign) forces me to actively pull focus and only concentrate on the task.

I believe to maximize improvement you have to feel your eyes working for the whole session. If you can't feel any strain you need to re-adjust your distance. I also think its important to do this for at least 30 mins at a time (perferably more) to see any kind of permanent improvement. my dad spent at least 200-300 hours to go from 20/40-20/50 to solid 20/20