Poll

Which situation would cause the eye to become less myopic overtime(With eyes -3.25 myopic)? If the option was done for 1 hour a day for 3 months.

Wearing -2.5 lens while watching tv 6' feet away an hour a day. Undercorrected where the tv screen is slightly blurry but quite watchable.
2 (33.3%)
Wearing -1.25 lens while using the computer at 15" inches away. Undercorrected to wear a blur appears past 15"
0 (0%)
Wearing no glasses while using the computer at 11" inches away. Anything past that is blurry
1 (16.7%)
Wearing +1 lens while using the computer at 7" inches away. Anything past that is blurry
0 (0%)
Wearing +3 lens while using smartphone at 3" away. Anything past that is blurry
0 (0%)
All of the above get the same results, no more, no less.
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Which situation would cause the eye to become less myopic overtime?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline videogamer

Which situation would cause the eye to become less myopic overtime? If the option was done for 1 hour a day for 3 months.

Offline CapitalPrince

Re: Which situation would cause the eye to become less myopic overtime?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
there should be an option for "about the same"

Offline videogamer

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
Good idea. I added an option along those lines. I hope more ppl vote. Very interestig to see what most ppl think.

Offline jansen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »
Hmm... a lot of the situations you described would end up being around the same. Generally, you don't want to be too close to the computer screen/text because it would probably hurt your neck. I would recommend weaker lenses to work at a more comfortable distance.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
so using the computer beyond my blur point with a strong plus will not affect my refractive state (negatively) in any way? As a high school student i need to use the computer for 3+ hours everyday and i am wonderng if this may affect my progress.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
Hi VideoGamer,

I think you should do a complementary poll - and ask, which personal habits could cause the eye to become more myopic overtime?

That would be equally helpful for those wishing to avoid their vision going down, when they enter a four year college.

Which situation would cause the eye to become less myopic overtime? If the option was done for 1 hour a day for 3 months.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:42:02 AM »
so using the computer beyond my blur point with a strong plus will not affect my refractive state (negatively) in any way? As a high school student i need to use the computer for 3+ hours everyday and i am wonderng if this may affect my progress.

I believe that since you add some blur (myopic defocus) with plus at near you can not only prevent but improve your sight.

Offline Steven

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »

The answer is simple.

Using the minus lens always leads to increased myopia !
Using the plus lens always leads to lowering myopia !

The fastest way to get myopia is to use a strong minus lens and look at close objects.
The fastest way to get rid of myopia is to use a strong plus lens and look at far away objects.

Using minus glasses should only be used in emergency situations.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 05:35:47 AM »
Hi Steven,

That - at last - if final SCIENTIFIC TRUTH.  The animations show this exactly.

Best,

The answer is simple.

Using the minus lens always leads to increased myopia !
Using the plus lens always leads to lowering myopia !

The fastest way to get myopia is to use a strong minus lens and look at close objects.
The fastest way to get rid of myopia is to use a strong plus lens and look at far away objects.

Using minus glasses should only be used in emergency situations.

Offline videogamer

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
so, if thats the paramount truth, than the only reason people are recommended undercorrection is only to stop the myopia from getting worse? since the only real aggressive way to become less myopic is to wear + while looking for?

And I assume wearing a + is also gonna take u away from being myopic but im guessing not as agressive as wearing it to look past 6'?

If Im wearing a +3 how far would I have to look into the distance to maximize my myopia fighting? (keep in mind I am at least -3.25 both eyes in both eyes)

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
a person can ruin his vision with a minus lens very quickly. However improving eyesight is different and more complex. Its not as simple as putting an excessively strong plus and looking far. You can try it, but i guarantee you that you will get very little to no results.

you need to induce a positive stimulus  using a reasonable (+1D to +3D) plus lens and actively focusing to try to clear the image. You can also do this without plus lens by looking at a far away street sign and actively trying to focus. It's very important to use your focus actively.

Offline FonkStreet

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
a person can ruin his vision with a minus lens very quickly. However improving eyesight is different and more complex. Its not as simple as putting an excessively strong plus and looking far. You can try it, but i guarantee you that you will get very little to no results.

How can you guarantee it? Have you tested the strong plus lens on yourself for a long period of time?

you need to induce a positive stimulus  using a reasonable (+1D to +3D) plus lens and actively focusing to try to clear the image. You can also do this without plus lens by looking at a far away street sign and actively trying to focus. It's very important to use your focus actively.

no, +1D to +3D is too strong for videogamer to work at "the edge of blur". He is at least -3.25 myopic thus, to use active focus, he needs under-correction.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
i didn't realize videogamer refractive status (from the measurements in the initial poll). a +1 to +3D is fine for the low myope. but yes he does need an suitable undercorrection.

if an excessively strong plus works for you, then thats great.

Offline videogamer

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
So I have been using +3 for 2 hours a day when on my iphone... so you guys recommend I dont use + since im -.325?

I currently use -1.25 for my 24" led monitor and -2.5 for my 32" LCD TV just like my poll says.
So you guys do not think I should be using my +3 at all? and just stick with my 2 undercorrected glasses?

Offline videogamer

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
cannot read the monitor at 20", I have to be at least 12" from the monitor to effectively be able to read the texts on this forum.
I cant read the 20/200 at 20 feet. at 10 feet I can read the 20/200 and can somewhat make out the letters of the 20/100 but both still have heavy bluriness to the letter.