Author Topic: Need Assistance with Ordering Glasses  (Read 3036 times)

Offline TrungLe97

Need Assistance with Ordering Glasses
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
Hello Everyone,
  This is my first post on the forum and I am extremely happy to have stumbled upon this blessed place. Well the story is my brother has experienced eyesight troubles in school and couldn't read the board in school very well. Some of his teachers yelled at him and told him to wear his glasses, but that did not help that well. I have experienced this through school as well. It is really frustrating to me that I have to wear glasses in order to see the ones I care for, and I want to live on without the need for dependence on glasses. I ask anyone to whom it may concern how I would order glasses for the both of us online at ZenniOptical. Here are our prescriptions.

My Brother's

SPH      CYL    AXIS

OD]   -4.00   -1.00    023
OS    -4.00   -1.50     005

Mine

SPH     CYL      AXIS

OD]  -7.25  -2.00      180
OS]  -6.25   -2.00      012

Also, It would be nice let me know how to reduce the prescription as much as possible.

Thank you in advance, and God Bless!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:16:55 PM by TrungLe97 »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Need Assistance with Ordering Glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »
Hi Trung,
Subject: What I will say - will hurt some people.
Item:  We should always be offered the CHOICE of wearing a plus - when we are at 20/40 and -1 diopter or so.  Tragically, most ODs will not offer you that choice.

With the values you have provided, -5 and -7 (spherical equivalent) you probably can only wear a "reduced" minus for close work.  (Reduced by to about -2.75 and -4.75 diopters.  Tragically, it is very expensive to order them trough an OD.  Here is a video on how to order "spherical equivalent" (that I use).  This is VERY simplified - to give you the basic idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YTF2D3I4Ao

Here is a very detailed explanation

http://www.zennioptical.com/howto

I personally restrict myself to the suggesting that people only consider this process, after they have confirmed that they read the 20/60 line with naked eyes.

I make no claims about "expected results" - but I wish that all of us were warned about the secondary problem of the minus lens - if over-prescribed.

Best,

Hello Everyone,
  This is my first post on the forum and I am extremely happy to have stumbled upon this blessed place. Well the story is my brother has experienced eyesight troubles in school and couldn't read the board in school very well. Some of his teachers yelled at him and told him to wear his glasses, but that did not help that well. I have experienced this through school as well. It is really frustrating to me that I have to wear glasses in order to see the ones I care for, and I want to live on without the need for dependence on glasses. I ask anyone to whom it may concern how I would order glasses for the both of us online at ZenniOptical. Here are our prescriptions.

My Brother's

SPH      CYL    AXIS

Mine

SPH     CYL      AXIS

Also, It would be nice let me know how to reduce the prescription as much as possible.

Offline TrungLe97

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:09:52 PM »
Thank you for such a quick response Mr. Brown and also for being so sincere.

I have a few quick questions about how to go about your personal way to correct astigmatic measurement.

For example, I would divide my CYL, which is -2 by 2, then add it to my -7.25 SPH which would make the SPH equivalent to -8.25. Should I then subtract 2.75 from that -8.25 for my new prescription? I just want to have assurance about the new prescriptions I am about to order.

Thank you.

- Trung
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:13:38 PM by TrungLe97 »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
Hi Trung,

I can only till you what *I* do.  But you are correct. To get "spherical equivalent" just divide the Astig part by 2, and add it to the sphere part, thus

-5, -2 (astig) 120 degrees, becomes,

-6 Spherical equivalent.

When you get your "spherical equivalent", just check your "home Snellen with it - and determine what line  you can read 1/2 the letters correctly on.

If you order a separate "reading" lens, I just subtract 2 or 3 diopters from the above.  So that would be -3 to -4 diopters for reading.  (Assume reading at 20 to 16 inches).

As always, you must check this yourself.

For now, just order the "distant" lens, and you should be good.  For most of us 20/30 to 20/25 is good enough.

Then, when you get them, get a +2.5 diopter an place it over the minus - and find out what your comfortable reading distance is.

Thank you for such a quick response Mr. Brown and also for being so sincere.

I have a few quick questions about how to go about your personal way to correct astigmatic measurement.

For example, I would divide my CYL, which is -2 by 2, then add it to my -7.25 SPH which would make the SPH equivalent to -8.25. Should I then subtract 2.75 from that -8.25 for my new prescription? I just want to have assurance about the new prescriptions I am about to order.

Thank you.

- Trung

Offline TrungLe97

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
Allrighty, Thanks Mr. Brown for clearing that up for me.

Another question,
Wll the distance pair allow the eye(s) to improve?

Thanks once again.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
Hi Trung,

Subject: What I find (or from reported here), is that most ODs over-prescribe by about -1 diopter.

Item: That is why I am forced to check my own Snellen at home.

What I mean is that a person will confirm, 20/25, and yet will have been prescribed a -1.25 lens for full-time wear !!

Further, you will find people with 20/40 (who pass the DMV requirement) wearing a -2 diopter lens.

So a -2 diopter lens - can do everything with no minus - if he chooses to do so.

In your case, you will have to check your own  bright Snellen chart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUkoSSgVOs

Do not be disappointed.  Any clearing is VERY slow.

Personally, I have written up a proposal for pilots (at 20/40, and -1 diopters) to be offered a leadership role in prevention.  We know that Todd has done it - but it has not yet been done with a larger group.

Allrighty, Thanks Mr. Brown for clearing that up for me.

Another question,
Wll the distance pair allow the eye(s) to improve?

Thanks once again.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
i think you should just completely get rid of the astigmatism. It will probably affect your v/a very little even if you got rid of it. cylinder prescriptions are totally idiotic and inaccurate and does more harm than anything.

for all close work you should wear a prescription that is 3D lower. so something like -4D/-3D. You should never use your distance glasses for close work. for driving get a -0.5D or -0.75D lower prescription that is comfortable. Try not to go back to your original prescription.

actually improvements can happen quite rapidly if you spend alot of time actively pushing focus everyday. If you treat vision improvement passively, even if you wear a lower prescription, improvements will be very very slow.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »
Hi Trung,

For a an education on the issue of clearing your vision - I recommend reading this site:

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/

There is a vast amount of information.  Many, in the early stage (20/40 to 20/60, about -1 diopter) manage to get back to 20/20. Dr. Alex is very honest about the difficulties of threshold prevention.  No one should be making excessive claims of success - although I have heard of many of them.

Best,

Hello Everyone,

My Brother's

SPH      CYL    AXIS

Mine

SPH     CYL      AXIS

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:29:12 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »
i think you should just completely get rid of the astigmatism. It will probably affect your v/a very little even if you got rid of it. cylinder prescriptions are totally idiotic and inaccurate and does more harm than anything.

Some time ago when I was at 0.5D of astigmatism I also thought the same.

But now after my astigmatism has doubled I can't agree no more.
Unfortunately now that spherical equivalent correction only works for me at day light.
For driving at night I need at least a -0.5 cyl, without it my night vision would be too poor.

But I still agree that using a full astig. correction mostly results in a slowly increasing astigmatism :-(

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
your astigmatism probably increased because you did not change your habits. From what i understand having poor/uneven posture, reading tilting your head, watch tv laying on your coach for long periods of time may result in astigmatism. also when your myopia increases, it may result in slight astigmatism.

the astigmatism measurement has poor accuracy, and some ODs are just pure malicious to tell children who are not myopia, they have "astigmatism" in order to sell glasses.

it's unlikely that getting of rid the cylinder correction will result in an increase in astigatism, but if you have trouble without it, its fine to wear a reduced prescription.

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
your astigmatism probably increased because you did not change your habits. From what i understand having poor/uneven posture, reading tilting your head, watch tv laying on your coach for long periods of time may result in astigmatism. 

that would be a good explanation for my girl-friend's lately aquired astigmatism but not in my case.

I changed my habits and started to recover by print pushing but only 0.5D was in all meridians. Then my vertical meridian hit a plateau while the horizontal continued to recover until it also stopped.

The weird result:
my spherical value dropped to it's half on my better eye while the cylinders doubled for both eyes.
Don't understand what had happened!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Hi Myoctim,

My personal opinion? The measurement for "astigmatism", is very cumberson, and inaccurate.  I simply do not trust the measurement. 

I do all *my* measurements in "spherical equivalent".  So yes, a "spherical equivalent", can be measured as "spherical - with a lot of astigmatism".

I ask that the OD not 'bother" with "astigmatism measurement".  It saves HIM a lot of time.  if he refuses?  I check at home, or find another OD who will do what I ask him to do.

Best,

your astigmatism probably increased because you did not change your habits. From what i understand having poor/uneven posture, reading tilting your head, watch tv laying on your coach for long periods of time may result in astigmatism. 

that would be a good explanation for my girl-friend's lately aquired astigmatism but not in my case.

I changed my habits and started to recover by print pushing but only 0.5D was in all meridians. Then my vertical meridian hit a plateau while the horizontal continued to recover until it also stopped.

The weird result:
my spherical value dropped to it's half on my better eye while the cylinders doubled for both eyes.
Don't understand what had happened!

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
Hi Tom Lu,

thx 4 u reply.

I know, my spherical equivalent significantly has improved and my naked eye distant vision also.
But my near vision which always was good is a little bit spoiled now (without astigmatism correction).

But hopefully when approaching emmetropia those meridians will equalize?!