Author Topic: Should I get Lasik?  (Read 951 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Should I get Lasik?
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:24:02 PM »

There is no doubt about it.  Lasik works, for -3 to -7 diopters.  But the follow-on issue is this.

If you get it (0.0 diopters and 20/20) will you keep your 20/20 vision? After all you paid $4,000 for it.

In part, if you get it in high school, your vision will go down by -1.5 to -2 diopters.  Thus Lasik did not "solve the problem".

Thus, if do "do Lasik", you should begin wearing a +2.5 diopter for all close work, you will just go down a second, and third time.

It is a pity that the Lasik providers  - will not tell you the full story. 

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Should I get Lasik?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »

By Erika, from Dr. Alex's site:

Hi, I’m new to this forum so I’ll use this first post to introduce myself.

I’m from Singapore where the myopia rate is very high. I started wearing glasses when I was 9 (I’m 30 now) and by my late teens, my myopia was around -6. I also had astigmatism though I don’t remember the degree.

About 5 years ago, I went for Lasik. By then my myopia was around -7. The operation was successful – I didn’t have 20/20 vision but I could see clearly and didn’t suffer dry eyes etc.

A couple of months back, I noticed my eyesight deteriorate and ordered a pair of glasses as I was finding night driving a bit tricky. I think the prescription was -0.5 but I’m really not sure. Anyway, the decline has continued and I find myself wearing my glasses more and more often, even for close-up work.

However, since coming across your website, I’ve stopped wearing my glasses except when I drive at night. I checked using the Myopia Calculator on this site and found that my left eye was approximately -1 while my right was -1.25.

Since my myopia is fairly mild, I’m starting without my glasses. Meanwhile, I’m waiting for my Snellen chart to arrive so that I can get a better reading.

+++++

Well - she could get a second Lasik operation for another $4,000.

But the issue is this, if you are at 20/40, and entering college - you could avoid Lasik, by wearing the plus, and save all that money.