Author Topic: Is the idea that the plus lens makes one less myopic because...  (Read 1078 times)

Offline videogamer

Is the idea that the plus lens makes one less myopic because...
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
The shape of the lens itself actually makes your eyes become less myopic?
or is it only because it makes your eyes think your looking at whatever your seeing farther than it actually is?

I have been confused, would the plus lens not be helpful for me since im -3.25 and can easily read up close at the blur horizon?
or does the plus lens do something more than just get you closer to the blur horizon?

Cus some people wear the plus outside or looking at stuff thats blurry, so I dont understand how that helps... if the point of the plus is to just make the blur horizon closer?

I go back n fourth on my computer, from no glasses, where im foot away, to glasses where im 16" away and using the stronger -2.00 which allows me to be 20" from monitor, which Ive read is a distance u shouldnt go any closer?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:08:59 PM by videogamer »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Is the idea that the plus lens makes one less myopic because...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
Hi Video,

I personally do not advocate that a person wear a plus, unless he can confirm 20/40 to 20/60 on his own Snellen.  Further, I do advocate that any professional who deals with you (for the first time - and most people are at 20/40 at that point), offer you an "automatic discussion", about the possibility of using a strong plus - to get out of it - under your responsible control.  It is my belief that a minus (how ever well-intended) simply destroys vision (or the possibility of recovery) if you start wearing it.  The reasons are "pure scientific", and should be understood that way.

First, and most graphic, the minus lens (on the normal emmetropic eye) always causes myopia.  Here is the video.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/neg_lens_induce_myopia.swf

Long-term "near work" has exactly the same effect - for the same reason.

Properly understood, and correctly used (at 20/40, and -3/4 diopters), the "plus" can get rid of that near-environment, that is creating the FIRST negative status for our normal eyes.  (This is "speeded up" for visualization purposes")

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/pos_lens_induce_hyperopia.swf

But for yourself, at -3 diopters, you can not wear the plus - obviously.

But you were "sucker punched" with a strong minus - when you were at 20/40, and should have been wearing a preventive-plus at that time.

This is my opinion, and I encourage other people to express their judgment.

Best,

The shape of the lens itself actually makes your eyes become less myopic?
or is it only because it makes your eyes think your looking at whatever your seeing farther than it actually is?

I have been confused, would the plus lens not be helpful for me since im -3.25 and can easily read up close at the blur horizon?
or does the plus lens do something more than just get you closer to the blur horizon?

Cus some people wear the plus outside or looking at stuff thats blurry, so I dont understand how that helps... if the point of the plus is to just make the blur horizon closer?

I go back n fourth on my computer, from no glasses, where im foot away, to glasses where im 16" away and using the stronger -2.00 which allows me to be 20" from monitor, which Ive read is a distance u shouldnt go any closer?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:49:36 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline videogamer

Re: Is the idea that the plus lens makes one less myopic because...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:51:21 PM »
so I cant benefit from a plus because its too far past the blur horizon... is that correct?

so for me the only thing I can really do is use under-corrections that take me to the blur horizon and no glasses when reading?