Author Topic: connecting laptop to TV  (Read 2382 times)

Offline CapitalPrince

connecting laptop to TV
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
Since I have to use the laptop for several hours a day, and do several hours of reading  a day on the computer, I used this as a opportunity for print pushing. I connected my laptop to my 70 inch TV at about 4m.

So far it works AMAZINGLY well. For some reason when i use a plus on the computer i don't feel like I am actively using my focus. I set my font size so its just blurry and uncomfortable to read challenging my eyes. I don't have to waste time "staring at the snellen".

Offline OtisBrown

Re: connecting laptop to TV
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
Hi Sam,

I am curious.  Where did you get the idea to "stair at your Snellen?"  I never recommend that anyone do that.

What I do recommend is that the person put up a Snellen, and determine which line he can read 1/2 the letters correctly - and check this once a day.  The purpose is to have a person make and objective assessment of his personal visual acuity - over several days.

Since most people do not have the ability to put all their "reading" at four meters, a properly understood an worn "plus" can have the effect of OPTICALLY moving all your reading beyond four meters.

Above all else - a person only believes his own success - when he can confirm he can read the 20/20 line after using the plus for perhaps six to nine months.

Thanks for your review.

Since I have to use the laptop for several hours a day, and do several hours of reading  a day on the computer, I used this as a opportunity for print pushing. I connected my laptop to my 70 inch TV at about 4m.

So far it works AMAZINGLY well. For some reason when i use a plus on the computer i don't feel like I am actively using my focus. I set my font size so its just blurry and uncomfortable to read challenging my eyes. I don't have to waste time "staring at the snellen".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:21:18 PM by OtisBrown »

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
hi otis,

I never thought to "stare at a snellen". that was my father's approach. .

I know we have some differences in ideas but here is what i believe:

1) to change the refractive state in a positive direction takes active focus at a distance object until you feel "stress" (can be done with or without plus lenses)
2) wearing a plus and walking around does nothing
3) wearing a plus and reading at the blur point (again blinking, CBR, etc) will change in refractive state in a positive direction
4) to pass a line on the snellen, a person has to read ALL of the letters, and the letters must be decently sharp.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
Hi Sam,

I am aware that there are an infinite number of "methods", out-their.  Clearly there is a profound believe that "exercise" will restore your vision.

I of course, believe in #3 (because of the primate studies), but I also agree that it does take belief in yourself and persistence to finally get results - by your own objective measurements.

As for #4, I believe that I should know EXACTLY the line I must pass - to be certain I pass the DMV (or what test is important to me) at home.  I state what will pass the REQURED DMV and FAA test (that require both eyes open).

The reason to be precise, is for you, or the person who is wearing the plus (at near) to actually judge his objective progress.  To many people just "glance" at the Snellen, and do not objectively read it.

But let me continue.  Assuming you are reading 1/2 the letters (of the 20/20 line) I obviously believe you should continue (including objectively testing with your own 1/2 diopter minus lens.)

It is also my belief, that a person who is "long-term persistent" with the plus - will get his vision to +1/2 diopter (or read the 20/20 line through a +1/2 diopter lens).

When he can do that - he WILL be reading all the letters on the 20/20 line.

Good luck, and thanks for your report.

hi otis,

I never thought to "stare at a snellen". that was my father's approach. .

I know we have some differences in ideas but here is what i believe:

1) to change the refractive state in a positive direction takes active focus at a distance object until you feel "stress" (can be done with or without plus lenses)
2) wearing a plus and walking around does nothing
3) wearing a plus and reading at the blur point (again blinking, CBR, etc) will change in refractive state in a positive direction
4) to pass a line on the snellen, a person has to read ALL of the letters, and the letters must be decently sharp.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:25 PM »
hi otis,

I do not believe in "eye exercises" or "eye yoga" or sunning or palming.

The only thing i believe is print pushing (and actively working on focusing on the image). And this can be done with either with a plus or without a plus. sometimes i like to switch things up abit and do it without a plus (use a snellen, outdoor signs, TV).

Yes i can objectively read 1/2 of the letters on the 20/20 (fairly consistently). But for me that is not really "success" because my vision still feels insufficient sometimes. especially in classes.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »
Hi Sam,

If I were 17 years old, and had never "heard" of the plus - I would probably be either confused or hostile to the entire idea.  I know if an OD attempted to "prescribe it", I would probably not wear it.   But gradually, you learn.  I would be constantly asking "why" - because it does not seem "necessary".  But only over-time, and a lot of research, would I realize that if I did not wear the plus (for all close work), I would in fact see my refraction go down by -1/2 diopter per year.  I KNOW you can not feel your eye's changing in that matter.  I fact, when I read with the plus (as I am doing it now at 20/ inches) I "feel" nothing at all.  If anything it is just "comforting" to have the plus on.

I of course (because of that proven -1/2 diopter per year), wear the plus, and if I verified the truth of that statement, I would be wearing the plus - full time.

With almost-20/20, you can do everything you want - with no minus lens.  (No switching from minus to plus, for near and far.)  So the real issue will be your continued wearing of the plus 2.5 for all close work, and the "long wait" for an objective change of +1/2 diopters, and a change in your naked-eye from 20/20, to probably 20/15.  As always, I do not ask a person to go though this process, unless he understand that plus-lens wearing - must be continued though the college years.  After you begin to exceed the 20/20 line, and get to 20/15, you can probably "quit" the plus-wearing if you wish.

But, in college, that -1/2 diopters (from close work, with no plus) will again produce marginal 20/20.  But NOW you will know what to do about it.

hi otis,

I do not believe in "eye exercises" or "eye yoga" or sunning or palming.

The only thing i believe is print pushing (and actively working on focusing on the image). And this can be done with either with a plus or without a plus. sometimes i like to switch things up abit and do it without a plus (use a snellen, outdoor signs, TV).

Yes i can objectively read 1/2 of the letters on the 20/20 (fairly consistently). But for me that is not really "success" because my vision still feels insufficient sometimes. especially in classes.

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
hmm so basically print pushing with real distances work better than with plus lenses.
this was what i thought. for some reason print pushing with the plus seems abit unnatural. So i decided to do abit of both. i sometimes use my desktop at around 1.5m (where things start to get shaky), but also use the plus when i read a book for class. I do wish i can do more print pushing with real distances.

A guy on iblindness got out of -2.5D of myopia to 20/20 from 5 years of print pushing on the computer. This is also consistent with my father's experience.

will try it out and see how i goes. i do wish i would see more solid improvements.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:49 AM »

Hi Sam,

Subject: Checking your Snellen - and doing "exercise" or "plus-pushing".

Item:  Which do you prefer?

I totally support Dr. Alex.  He does raise this valuable issue.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/logs-vs-logs-snellen-vs-natural-impression/

Some people prefer to "just jump in" with no checking.  I know that is the tendency of all of us.  Perhaps that is how we start a "learning process".

But, in my opinion, once we START with these various methods, we MUST check our Snellen. (I always hope the person can read the 20/40  line.)

Once you establish a "line" by reading it - on a FIXED SNELLEN on your wall - you can then objectively measure your own progress. 

Here, I prefer to have available to me a simple "test" minus lens (like you do).

That way, I can be in total control of the Snellen clearing process. After all - FINAL success is, not only reading the 20/20 line - as you do - but proving to yourself you can read the 20/20 line through a +1/2 diopter lens.

When you do that - your "night vision" will be incredible.  It just takes your objective measurements  - to make it so.

hmm so basically print pushing with real distances work better than with plus lenses.
this was what i thought. for some reason print pushing with the plus seems abit unnatural. So i decided to do abit of both. i sometimes use my desktop at around 1.5m (where things start to get shaky), but also use the plus when i read a book for class. I do wish i can do more print pushing with real distances.

A guy on iblindness got out of -2.5D of myopia to 20/20 from 5 years of print pushing on the computer. This is also consistent with my father's experience.

will try it out and see how i goes. i do wish i would see more solid improvements.

Offline Ydgrunite

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:14:38 AM »
Otis,

You say that you totally support Dr. Alex, and then you seem to contradict yourself a few lines below that.

Dr. Alex says that it is a matter of personal preference as to whether you log measurements or not, though he gives some reasons in favor of logging.  He also says that it is a matter of preference whether you use a Snellen or use natural impressions.

Posting several messages a day saying that "we MUST check our Snellen" does not seem to support Dr. Alex's position of allowing people to choose what works for them.  This is like saying that it is not possible to lose weight unless you weigh yourself every morning.  I have been improving my eyesight for six months and I have not checked a Snellen once.

I have found a way that works for me.  It won't work for everyone and I won't insist they others try it my way, but it important for people to know that success can be achieved in more than one way.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Hi Ydgrunite,

Dr. Alex is the only ophthalmologist who "commits" to prevention (including the plus) that I know of.  I totally support him in that goal.

But, people are like "snowflakes" - they always do it, "their own way".  Some people will go on a "diet", and NEVER weight themselves - and will succeed.  Other people (like myself) would weigh myself - to see that I lost 25 pounds in six months.

If am a pilot, and weigh 200 pounds, and the military requirement is 185 pounds for my height - then I must weigh myself - and get down to 180.

This is why I suggest that a pilot, at 20/40, entering a four year college, use the SAME method of measurement that an OD would use in his office.

The person knows the objective goal he must reach (and exceed).  That is why I would ask a person (using exercise or the plus) to check his own Snellen on the wall.  That way he will not "kid" himself about his own results.

I do not feel that this statement contradicts Dr. Alex's statement.  We both have the same goal - although the practical methods might be different.  Final success is objective and personal.

Offline Ydgrunite

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
My prescription six months ago was -9.5 D and now I wear -7 D lenses and I see clearly in the distance.  I am not "kidding" myself about my progress.