Author Topic: How to start correcting astigmatism?  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Don67

How to start correcting astigmatism?
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »
I am so happy to have come upon Todd's blog and forums over the past couple of weeks.  I've had great success recently with intermittent fasting and now want to apply hormetism to improving my eyesight.  I've begun to try to implement practices based on what I've read in Todd's posts and from the forum, but I would appreciate any additional help given the level of astigmatism from which I am beginning.  I'm in my mid-forties and recently received the following prescription from my optometrist. 

Right: -1.00 sphere, -2.50 cylinder, 105 axis
Left: -.025 sphere, -4.00 cylinder, 80 axis
Progressive lenses with 1.5 add in both.

Given the strength of the astigmatism, going to strict spherical lenses seems like it might be too much.  My myopia itself doesn't seem to bad, if I could find a way a correct the astigmatism.

Thanks in advance for suggestions on where to start in earnest.

Offline CapitalPrince

Re: How to start correcting astigmatism?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:17:23 AM »
how did you get that much astigmatism when your spherical is so low? Did your doctor just increase the cyl every year? Thats mindless

Astigmatism may be due to bad posture/read titling. This is why doctors should not touch cylinder and instead tell the patient to fix his habits first.

Since yuor astigmatism is so high and spherical so low. Its best to wear glasses that are half of your astigmatism.

this is just one prescription you could try

R. -0.5D -1.25Dx105
L.  0    -2.00Dx 80

You should take off your glasses for close work, if the astigmatism iis not too bad at  near.

but its not going to be easy to get rid of -4D/-2.5D of astigmatism.

Offline Don67

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:29:12 AM »
Thanks.

Two years ago, my prior optometrist gave me:

Right: -1.50 sphere, -1.75 cyl., x 095
Left: -.075 sphere, -2.75 cyl. x 080
Progressive lenses add 1.50

Under the exam conditions last month, I was clearer with the stronger astigmatism adjustment.  Since I could still see reasonable well with the old glasses, should I perhaps begin to adjust from the old prescription?

Offline CapitalPrince

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:18:42 AM »
i think those glasses have too high of a spherical for you.

just order a few glasses from zennioptical.com with different and lower amount of  astigmatism. Just make sure you try not use glasses for all close work.

i don't know any techniques to specifically reduce astigmatism. maybe someone else can comment.

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Hi Don,

I agree that an OD is doing the "best he can".  But I just do not believe the "astigmatism" measurement is accurate.  What happens is that the "nearsightedness" is "converted" into astigmatism.

For the values you provided the Right eye is about -2.25 (Spherical equivalent), and the Left eye, about -2.25 diopters.

(You take 1/2 the cylinder value and add it.)

I personally always ask to be measured with pure spherical lens.  But it is always good to do this "conversion" to compare various prescriptions that you have received in the past. 

I also order my lenses from Zennioptical - and they are excellent.  I would bet that if you had a -2.25, you could read the 20/20 line on your Snellen at home.

(Just my opinion.)

One issue has become clear.  As a person reduces his "myopia" to zero diopters (i.e., 20/20 on his Snellen) his astigmatism value also reduces to almost zero. 

It is a benefit of Todd's work with the plus lens.

Thanks.

Two years ago, my prior optometrist gave me:

Right: -1.50 sphere, -1.75 cyl., x 095
Left: -.075 sphere, -2.75 cyl. x 080
Progressive lenses add 1.50

Under the exam conditions last month, I was clearer with the stronger astigmatism adjustment.  Since I could still see reasonable well with the old glasses, should I perhaps begin to adjust from the old prescription?

Offline Don67

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Thanks, Otis.    Would you recommend I order and use something below -2.25 in order to work on improving my vision with Todd's techniques?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
Hi Don,

It is a matter of personal bias - that I think most "astigmatism" is either excessive or not necessary.  I use a simple "test lens" to confirm my own vision - as well as this Snellen chart - that is easy to down-load.

http://www.i-see.org/block_letter_eye_chart.pdf

I consider you to be approximately a -2 diopter person.  That means you should be able to read at 20 inches - with no lens on your face.  Do you wear your glasses all the time?

I would suspect you can probably read the 20/60 to 20/70 line (with slight squinting).  Are you interested in checking yourself?  I put a bright light on my Snellen - for an accurate reading.

You are going to get a vast array of opinions - here an everywhere.  But I would start with my own Snellen readings. 

You can get your own lenses from Zennioptical.com - for about $9.  That is how I do it.

Thanks, Otis.    Would you recommend I order and use something below -2.25 in order to work on improving my vision with Todd's techniques?

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
Would you recommend I order and use something below -2.25 in order to work on improving my vision with Todd's techniques?

Hi Don,

according to my own astigmatism experience I can't recommend a total cyl. drop at your values.
The spherical equivalent (SE) approach works fine for low astigmatism but gets to it's limits with increasing values.

-2.25D SE should mean you can read your computer without glasses at 44cm/17inch - can you?

Best would be to find a behavioral optometrist who gives you a reasonable undercorrection or getting access to a trial lens kit to find out if the SE works for you and how much to reduce.

It is said using the Tibetan Wheel should be helpful.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tibetan_wheel.jpg

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 04:20:22 AM »

Hi Don,

I can only recommend what *I* would do.  Just for the experiment, I would order the -2.25 diopters, and see if I could read the Snellen at a reasonable level.

FYI, when an OD starts to "check your eyes", he starts with a "spherical minus lens".  He then sees if he can get 20/20 through a spherical minus lens.  I think most ODs and persons can see 20/20 through a spherical minus at that point.  Then he starts to "tweek", that "spherical minus", giving you various degrees of "cylinder". 

I always ask for them to just measure 20/20 with a spherical - and to "not bother" with the "cylinder" part.

You could talk to your OD about this issue - if you wish.

Offline Don67

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:56:30 AM »
Thanks all.

Myoctim, I can read my screen at 17 inches but the letters are a bit blurry - I believe I'm using normal font sizes, but I also wonder if the blur could be compounded by the HDTV-type monitor I have been supplied in my office -- it has a certain "pixelation" even with my corrective lenses on given the type of screen.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Tibetan wheel and on the image suggested by TomLu.  With the clock faced chart, the 9 to 3 and 10 to 4 lines are darker for my right eye and the 9 to 3 and 8 to 2 lines are darker than the other lines for my left eye.

Given the high cylinder prescribed at my exam last month, I am quite reluctant to lock that in by sticking with glasses following that and it has been a bit part of my inspiration to try to figure out what I can do to help my vision heal.

TomLu, good question on the progressive add -- I believe it is designed to correct for presbyopia.  Any suggestions on how to combat that?

Thanks again!

Offline Don67

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
Thanks, TomLu.  The discussion of presbyopia was helpful.  I'll try the Gottlieb exercises.

I'm still trying to make sense of the astigmatism axis.  http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/glasses.html provides a nice primer for a newbie like me on making sense of prescriptions but the prescription and my observations on the test wheel are not quite at a 90-degree difference either.  Maybe I'll see if I can be re-checked by the optometrist.

Offline Myoctim

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
a) your right eye has the least amount of astigmatism at the horizontal meridians (i.e., the 0 degree line and the 150 degree line), so I don't know why the cylinder axis is 95 degree.

b) your left eye has the least amount of astigmatism at the horizontal meridians (i.e. 0 degree line and the 30 degree line) too. So again, I don't know why the cylinder axis is 80 degree.

I'm also having a 95° axis prescription, so I can see clearly horizontal lines with my spherical value but I need that additional "cylindrical boost" for also seeing clearly at the vertical plane.

But in Don's case his left eye's horizontal meridian nearly is emmetropic.
Using a (strong) spherical equivalent of -2.25 D wouldn't that mean stimulating the horizontal plane to get more myopic? Using a cyl. undercorrection wouldn't tackle that plane.

BTW, AFAIK while some chick research always resulted in compensation for + and - lenses there only was emmetropization for one of the 2 planes when using cyl. lenses.

Offline Don67

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »
Thanks all.  So, my first order from Zenni optical arrived. 

These are single vision:
R: -0.75 -2.0 x105
L: 0.0 -3.5 x80

vs. my prescription from January which was progressives with a 1.5 add.
R: -1.00  -2.50 x105
L: -.025  -4.00 x80

Using the new glasses, I can see roughly 20/20 (with some blur) with both eyes open on my Snellen - 20/20 (with a bit of blur) with the left eye only  but not quite 20/30  (with a fair amount of blur) with the right eye only.

So, I'm assuming I should try to read at the blur without my glasses closeup, try some exercises for presbyopia, and try to increase focus on edges/lines in the distance with the new weaker glasses.  Does that sound about right?

Offline Don67

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:25:26 AM »
Glad to have contributed a little something TomLu.

My second set of test glasses from Zenni arrived.

I tried CapitalPrince's suggestion but I'm not quite ready for this much reduction yet
R. -0.5D -1.25Dx105
L.  0    -2.00Dx 80
I have lots of blur with a blurry at 20/50 at best combined and roughly 20/60 in each eye alone (blurrier on the right), but these are lenses to work toward being able to use.

I also ordered a set of spherical equivalents of -2.25 in each eye, as Otis suggested per my recent prescription.  Unfortunately I am blurry everywhere with these but much worse with the left eye (a blurry 20/100) than the right (a blurry 20/60).  So, like Myoctim, I will need to stick with some cylinder correction, at least for now.

One possibility is that I might try the spherical right lens at -2.25 with the L: 0   -2.00Dx 80 to see how that works since I seem to be roughly a blurry 20/60 for each of these lenses.  Any thoughts on whether working with such a combination potentially would be helpful in working on the astigmatism in both eyes (even if it would not do anything for the myopia in the right given the -2.25 diopter)?

Thanks again, all!

Offline Don67

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
Hi Otis,

The -2.25 spherical lenses are in.  When I try the Snellen under bright light using these glasses, the left eye is a somewhat blurry 20/100 and right is a somewhat blurry 20/60.