Author Topic: Over-Prescriptions - for Astigmatism - and OD mistakes.  (Read 930 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Over-Prescriptions - for Astigmatism - and OD mistakes.
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
I like to be in personal control of my own measurements.  I do not like to be treated as an "ignorant person" have a lens "prescribed" lens prescribed that is excessive.

It has proven impossible for me to "negotiate" a reasonable lens - if I read the 20/40 line.  I get insulted if I "ask" for a reduced prescription, of if I read 20/40 - no prescription.

I recommend that a person learn enough about these measurements to do them at home.  A Snellen costs nothing - but you need it at home.  You MUST pass the 20/40 line - eventually.  Here is a video of that "measurement process".

I personally think it always produces an "astigmatic" prescription, far in excess of anything that is necessary.  I am not "hostile" in any way.  But I just do not think they take enough time to determine my visual acuity accurately.  Perhaps the "pressure" in an office is too great to take the time to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtOUgF0HWnQ

I ALWAYS insist in a "spherical lens", i.e., no astigmatism.  I check this at home - with my own Snellen and lens.

It is a waste of my time to attempt to "argue" with this optometrist about the means *I* must use to keep my vision at 20/20.  If I do that (by wearing a plus for close work), and always passing the 20/20 line - then I do not need and optometrist.

I do not mind measurements like this OD is making - but I always check at home.  I know of many people who pass the DMV (20/40) line, who are prescribed -1 and -2 diopters lenses - with a great deal of astigmatism.

Look at the OD's measurements using her "trial lens" frame.  It is very difficult to get any meaningful measurement.  That is why I doubt the value, or even the worth of "astigmatism", if you can read the Snellen charge with out it.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:05:22 AM by OtisBrown »