Author Topic: Dental Health - That Professionals Might Not Tell You  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Tom

• The Sustainabilitist
Dental Health - That Professionals Might Not Tell You
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
I came across this topic again but I don't know where to put it, so I'll just place it here.

Dentists nowadays are aware of the effect of sugars on dental cavity. But cavity, on its own, is really a tiny part of all the dental issues that we are having (e.g., weak teeth, weak gums, teeth misalignment). A more sustainable solution towards dental issues, is by changing our diet.

The current stance on wisdom teeth is that they just tend to be misaligned as we grow up, so wisdom teeth extraction seems a no-brainer. This illustrates a lack of understanding about how teeth grow to become the way they are, here comes Don Rehm (I also happened to send him things related to obstracized dentists years ago):

Progressive researchers have known for many decades that most tooth decay and most birth defects result from faulty living. One of the best books on this subject was "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", written by Weston Price, a dentist.2 Price traveled to many parts of the world and noted that as primitive societies began to get the food products of the more advanced societies (sugar, white flour, canned goods, etc.), tooth decay, birth defects and other health probIems increased rapidly, where they had been nearly unknown previously. Included in these problems was a poorly developed dental arch with insufficient room for the teeth to come in. Books like this should be required in every dental and medical school, but they are not. The public is told nothing about how to prevent their miseries because there is more money to be made in trying to cure them.

It is said by those who don't know any better that we don't need so many teeth for our modern life and our jaws are therefore getting smaller. The real reason is that the faulty diet of the mother, and later that of the child, results in faulty skeletal development, leaving insufficient room for the teeth. Since few people are interested in really improving the diet of the public, these myths are allowed to persist.

Orthodontics, dental sealant, wisdom teeth extraction and the like, are only there because the dental industry fails to inform themselves (and the public) about how teeth work. Similarly, certain
sticky" food, such as the flour-based ones, have the tendency to stick on the teeth and gum. Unlike meat, food residues resulted from consuming flour-based food could be extremely hard to clean properly.

The fruits and vegetables, on the other hand, tend to serve as natural teeth cleaners. The strawberries, for instance, has the ability of whiten the teeth (ever heard of teeth whitening strip? 8).

It's customary for people to go to their dentist every half a year, be nagged that they need to clean their teeth, or get cosmetic add-ons, or extract their teeth. However, there are people who, despite making their best effort to take care of their dental health, are still faced with a myriad of dental problems.

How comes? Part of that missing piece is in their diet - It's hard to clean your teeth if you keep making it dirtier and more acidic

I guess the bigger message, is that some people will use any means to ensure his own survival, others just want to get richer beyond necessity, but I like to believe that most of us are good-natured, but victims of incorrect information.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:10:42 PM by Tom »
The Sustainabilitist
Stretching Further the Concepts of Sustainability and Resilience
Facebook   Twitter   Google+

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Dental Health - That Professionals Might Not Tell You
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
I'm with you on this issue, TomLu.  Weston Price's book was one of the seminal studies that drew me to a Paleo type diet.  If you don't feed the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease (mainly Streptococcus mutans), dental caries and periodontal disease can't get started.

Here's an interesting self-experiment that lends further support.  I encourage you to read through the comments as well:

http://www.gnolls.org/3253/dental-health-and-the-paleo-diet-gingival-sulcus-depth-periodontal-disease-systemic-inflammation-and-some-n1-data/

Todd

Offline Tom

• The Sustainabilitist
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
Yeah I went through all the comments. A very interesting bunch of people indeed. Here are a few remarks:

1) Systemic inflammation could be spread all around the body. People are now realizing how numerous degenerative diseases (e.g., cardiovascular, joint-related) really start from the mouth.

2) Acidity in the mouth breeds culprit bacteria (e.g., certain strain of strep. mutans and lactobacillus). Maintaining a pH at around 8 is not just a good idea.

3) A distinction needs to be made between the pH of the food, and the pH it induces after its metabolism (e.g., interaction with saliva). Simple sugar is not tooth-friendly due to the latter (but then if you rinse after any sugar consumption then its impact would be significantly less - not that I consume it though).

4) A few studies mentioned xylitol and its effect in starving culprit bacteria. They are getting popular now.

5) We still have to avoid the naturalistic fallacy. A lot of natural things, even if they do less harm, just don't work.

6) I saw a few remarks on sorbitol. A distinction needs to be made between consuming sorbitol, and using a toothpaste with sorbitol. In the latter, sorbitol is rinsed away (presumably 8) ) after brushing, so shouldn't be a great concern. Similar, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is actually benigh at lower concentration, the same thing applies to sodium fluoride (I'm bring this up because I see lots of complaining here and there).

Here's some interesting read with more details:

Oral Disease: The Battle for Balance
Employing a whole-patient approach to the lifelong struggle of caries management

Roles of Oral Bacteria in Cardiovascular Diseases — From Molecular
Mechanisms to Clinical Cases:
 Implication of Periodontal Diseases in Development of Systemic
Diseases

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:25:32 PM by TomLu »
The Sustainabilitist
Stretching Further the Concepts of Sustainability and Resilience
Facebook   Twitter   Google+

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
Dr Bates was wrong about accommodation through eye elongation with the oblique muscles but right and pioneer at so many other things about refractive errors.

Ramiel Nagel has written a very good book "Cure tooth decay", analyzing Weston Price's research and even claiming that there can be teeth immunity and the bacterias are not to blame but bad diet and sugar not on the teeth but in the blood.

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7w1EGc4u4&list=PL0183D2D48539DA3B

After I have started cod liver oil and organic butter (not yet raw milk) my teeth and gums have become much stronger and had no teeth problem at all although previous I had many before.

Also Waterpik may bleed my gums rarely but it did good to me, something like hormesis in the gum pockets.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:48:03 AM »
Are there any other good ideas? I have good teeth and my teeth decay has stopped but I haven't seen even a small decayed area to develop shiny enamel again or even close completely. I don't drink raw milk so I don't follow Ramuel's protocol too much.

I use an electric toothbrush 3 times per week and truly removes more plaque than handheld toothbrushes but you must not push too much in order not to scrape the enamel.

Chios mastic is antibacterial and is something like gymnastics for the periodontal membrane. Pressure can do good for teeth.

Caries can develop at interdental spaces of teeth so interdental brushes can help remove plaque and make the area more shiny. If a tooth is more shiny then plaque develops more difficult there. These brushes can be 0.4mm thin so they can fit between teeth.

Drilling, filling and billing is very hard and can even happen to people who brush twice per day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:53:17 AM by Alex_Myopic »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:36:55 AM »
Hi Alex,

There is indeed a connection between our bad habits, and our health.  But just try to get a kid to brush his teeth - with out a fight.

Alex> Dr Bates was wrong about accommodation through eye elongation with the oblique muscles but right and pioneer at so many other things about refractive errors.

Otis> I am pleased you said that.  In fact, my question (for years), was this.  If Dr. Bates conducted a successful study (where individuals went from 20/40 to 20/20), or a refractive change of +1/2 diopter - the WHY WAS THERE NO "FOLLOW UP"??

Otis>  That continues to bother me about the entire optical profession. I always ask, "why", and I get the statement that, "all prevention will never work". To me, that is not an acceptable scientific argument.

Otis> That was the reason for my complete research, with optometrists who basically told a difficult, but honest scientific truth.  I deeply appreciate that you made yourself successful - with your persistence, and resolve, begin eye-checking or teeth.

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
@ OtisBrown

Although there are some optometrists that are afraid of overprescribing because they say "the eyes can become too lazy then" so they know about step case myopia but don't even mention about the general bad of minus and the plus lenses as a true treatment.

Anyway another good tip for teeth is horsetail. It contains silicon which promotes remineralisation of teeth and sometimes it is suggested as a treatment for osteoporosis (brittle bone disorders).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:45:58 PM by Alex_Myopic »