Author Topic: Helping a child - with prevention.  (Read 3894 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Helping a child - with prevention.
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »
Subject: How to help your child avoid entry into myopia.

A Bates suggested it - avoid getting into it.  Avoid the minus lens.  Get yourself out of it.  But to avoid the minus, you must always read and pass the 20/40 line - yourself.

Here is some commentary by Stirling Colgate on how to do it.

http://myopiafree.i-see.org/truthsee.html

The real problem is this.  The parents do not understand the wisdom and necessity of wearing the plus when they have "mild" 20/40.  There is no way that an OD can over-come a parent's resistance to having their child 1) Sit up, and 2) Wear the plus.

Otis

Offline cat0829

Re: Helping a child - with prevention.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
i want to try to put my child into plus lenses, but not sure where to start. Please help, his 5 years old and -2 on both eyes

Offline cat0829

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
I will try anything that would help his vision, he didnt starts wearing glass yet, and i dont want to put him in minus lenses, i have a Snelle Chart hanged, hes like 20/50

Offline cat0829

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
My OD said he's 20/40, so should i get him a plus lenses =.5 or +1?

Offline cat0829

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
So i should get him a +2 pluse lenses? Wouldnt be too strong for him? What can i do to help to reduce his vision?

Offline cat0829

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
i would say more than 12 inches, the reason he's myopia because of ipad, he play his ipad at about 6 inches apart. As a parent im very concern especially at his young age, so is there any other that you can suggest i can help him/?

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »
Hi Cat 0829,

Subject: Assuming your child can be taught to read at least at 12 inches - you should get him a +2.5 diopter lens - for NEAR ONLY.

Item: He will be able to protect his distant vision - for life - by doing that. 

Item: If an optometrist is involved, then have him review the video, and discuss prevention with a +2.5 diopter lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiuC7a1lkrk

A +0.5 diopter lens will have no effect.  Your child has the "habit" of so many children in our modern society.  (Nose on I-Phone, etc.)

He is still in a position, (with a -2 diopter prescription), that he can still avoid wearing a minus lens (because he still has 20/40 vision).

But this condition will not last much longer.  Science shows, conclusively, that if he does not "wear the plus", his vision will continue down at a rate of -2/3 diopter for each year in school. 

I know this is a VERY DIFFICULT CHOICE FOR YOU.  I do not know what you intend to do about it - but if it were me - I would wear the plus.

Here is some more information to help a child become more myopic than -2 diopters.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/category/child-myopia-2/

Best,

My OD said he's 20/40, so should i get him a plus lenses =.5 or +1?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:27:01 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:35 AM »
20/40 VA is not -2D as Cat has mentioned that the doctor said, so with 20/40 is more easy for her child to become emmetrope.

Offline cat0829

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
do you have any suggestion for me on how to help my son

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
Αt this age maybe the children can do some palming, sunning with the eyes closed, not eat much sugar, not lights when sleeping, undecorrect for far and if he,she is 20/40 he doesn't need glasses for close work or even when at home. Spend time outdoors and maybe do some simple exercises from Bates' followers book or others like "Rebuild your vision", Martin Sussman's "The Program for Better Vision". When he goes at school he can wear plus or even now if he wants a mild one when at home.

Offline cat0829

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Should i get him a low minus lenses for tv? it seems that he has problem watching tv...any suggestion

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 09:23:35 AM »
Hi Cat,

That is the universal "default" solution.  That will give your child very sharp vision on the TV.

But the problem is that the child wears the minus lens - all the time.  Then, indeed his vision will certainly get worse.

Probably, for now, he should just sit closer to the TV.

The only solution (if the child were old enough) would be to talk to him about wearing a plus for near.  But you can not ask a child to do that.

Should i get him a low minus lenses for tv? it seems that he has problem watching tv...any suggestion

Offline cat0829

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
i have him wear a plus lenses +1  whenever he play his ipad, but it seem he has trouble when watching TV, he seems squeaking his eye when watching, so what im saying is it better to get  him a minus lenses just for distance? I also have him do palming and shifting but it seem no improvement, what should i do....

Offline cat0829

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:47:30 AM »
thanks, i have him wear a +1 when he playing his ipad and do his homework and he seem to be ok with it, just need a little reminder sometime..
Should i get him a +2?

Offline cat0829

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »
i also have him wear it to school, is it too much for him?

My daughter has 20/20 or better should i get her a plus lens at +1?