Author Topic: Question about loose skin in the sclera !  (Read 18153 times)

Offline Steven

Question about loose skin in the sclera !
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »
While looking in the mirror, as i move my head in order for each of my eyes to point towards the nose, i can observe in both eyes how at "extreme" angles my sclera/cornea skin is gathering like an old man skin in the corner (it seems only the sclera moves)

Have you experienced that ? Please check !

Is it because the elongation of the eye produces a permanent loose skin in the sclera ?

Can this also explain why if you put a finger in the corner of the eye and slightly pull the eye lid you win many diopters instantly ?

Try it.

Thank you.

Offline Steven

Re: Question about loose skin in the sclera !
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
It may be actually the Conjunctiva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctiva)

Read : http://www.healthboards.com/boards/eye-vision/731943-sclera-problem.html

With age, the conjunctiva can stretch and loosen from the underlying sclera, leading to the formation of conjunctival folds, a condition known as conjunctivochalasis :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctivochalasis

I do have dry eye because i do not blink enough and this is one of the causes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:21:02 PM by Steven »

Offline Steven

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Anyone ?

Offline Steven

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »
Study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21301349

My comment : "By using the plus glasses and getting towards hyperopia increases the risk factor for conjunctivochalasis."

What is your opinion ? Do you have it too ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:27:57 PM by Steven »

Offline Steven

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:46 AM »
Anyone here ?

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
No conjunctivochalasis for me after years of using plus (one year systematically)

Offline Ydgrunite

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
I looked at the study and it does not give me much reason to worry.

Although it shows a relation between hyperopia and conjunctivochalasis, it also shows a far greater correlation with increasing age.  I don't have this condition now, but my body is already starting to fall apart after 45 years.  I guess that I'll just have to accept small folds in my eye surface as one more thing that goes wrong with my body.

This possibility is not enough to prevent me from reducing my myopia via undercorrected lenses.  Conjunctivochalasis is only a potential problem that I may get anyway as I age, even with myopia (the chance is just a little lower than for those with hyperopia).  Wheras my high myopia is an actual problem today.

I also don't know how applicable the study is since it was done in two hospital-based eye clinics and the report itself says: "One major drawback of this study is that the results of hospital-based studies are not directly applicable to the general population."  The study excluded patients with certain conditions, but still, those who go to an eye clinic at a hospital do not represent the general population.

It is an interesting topic though.  The study indicates only the current refractive error of the patients.  It does not mention the risk if someone reduces their myopia.  I would expect that the risk of conjunctivochalasis may be a little higher in the same way that someone who loses a lot of weight risks having flabby skin.

Offline Steven

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
The thing is i am 25. And i wonder if this extra layer of skin in each eye (as i explained in the first post) is due to the -4 myopia i had in the past, so the eye elongated and it stretched the skin layer of the eye ...

Can people who had or still have big myopia test this in the mirror and give me some feedback ?

Offline Steven

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
Anyone else ?

It seems to be from dried eyes. Myopic people should have it since all they do is stare at the blur and do not blink !

Offline Alex_Myopic

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
"Conjuctiva is also called the surfer's eye. The exact cause is unknown, but it is associated with excessive exposure to wind, sunlight, or sand"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygium_%28conjunctiva%29

Offline Steven

Re: Question about loose skin in the conjuctiva !
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I definitely don't have that.
Conjunctivochalasis is also out of the question since that one only forms beneath the eye.

I look at a mirror and turn my head to the left so that my left eye moves towards the nose. Then i see that the skin that covers the eye is gathering in the corner.

Can more people check their eyes and explain to me what is this all about.

To me it seems to be dried conjunctiva (wrinkled conjunctiva) - when I move my eyes the conjuctiva wrinkles on the outer edges of the eye.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?165-wrinkled-conjunctiva
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:24:29 PM by Steven »

Offline chris1213

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
With a picture of what it looks like it would be easier to understand what you are talking about.