Author Topic: Dr. Alex, Raphaelson and the plus lens (it is NOT "therapy")  (Read 1631 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Dr. Alex interviewed Todd about his success with the plus lens.

That is a start.  I truly advocate that you be properly informed about the need to wear the plus - before you go much below 20/40 to 20/50.  For me, this is an "either-or" choice.  I never refer to the "plus" as a "medical procedure", or a "prescription".  I would never call it "therapy", or a "cure".

I do advocate that a person who manages to get close to the 20/40 line, by personal, objective testing, consider the use of the plus at that point.  Here is the review by Dr. Alex.

http://frauenfeldclinic.com/reader-questions-plus-lens-therapy/

It is my opinion, that if a person is wise, he will commit to wearing the plus, BEFORE he goes below the vicinity of 20/40.  This is because of the proven fact that a minus (default) has a profoundly bad long-term effect on the eye - if worn all the time.  You should know this - before you start wearing it.

Successful wearing of the plus, will keep your refractive state from going seriously negative.  It is a disaster if you start wearing it.

No optometrist (in his office) will say one word about this problem.  I think we need to understand this issue, and make a wise choice about it.

+++++

There are rare exceptions - specifically Dr. Kaisu:

http://kaisuviikari.com/wordpress/

For the last 50 years - she said the plus is essential for prevention.  But like "hearing aid" prevention, if the parents/child do not understand WHY plus-prevention is necessary, the child will not wear the plus correctly.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:05:41 AM by OtisBrown »

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Dr. Alex, Raphaelson and the plus lens (it is NOT "therapy")
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:33:59 AM »
Subject: We ALL want some "doctor" somewhere, to solve all our problems - in his office.

Item:  We get upset, when that never happens.

I know that most of us are, "passive", and do not want to "rise" to the challenge of plus-prevention, when we still retain 20/40, and -1.0 diopters.

From conversations with Todd and on his site, prevention with the plus is truly difficult.  People "fear" the plus, and will not wear it (at 20/40).  While you can not predict the behavior of "most people", you can predict a person's visual future, entering a four year college with 20/40.

Most people prefer the "easy" minus lens, versus the difficulty of taking plus-prevention seriously, entering a four year college. The result is more myopia and an ever-increasing strength of a minus lens that "solves" the problem in an "office".  Here is some more commentary.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/05/nearsightedness-and-the-indoor-life/361169/

For an OD in his office, who has no "time" for long-term prevention, the ONLY answer is the minus lens.

I will not "fight" with that OD.  But do not expect any help with plus-prevention from him.  He simply can not help you.

(With great respect to the OD in his office.)

Offline caimanjosh

Re: Dr. Alex, Raphaelson and the plus lens (it is NOT "therapy")
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »
Dr. Alex interviewed Todd about his success with the plus lens.

Hi Otis,

Do you have a link to this interview?  I would be curious to see what they discussed.  Thanks.