Author Topic: My upcoming talk on myopia at AHS 2014  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
My upcoming talk on myopia at AHS 2014
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
I will be giving a talk on myopia at this year's Ancestral Health Symposium, in Berkeley, California on Saturday, August 9.  Registration is still open, but the conference typically sells out.  I've linked here the full program schedule:

http://www.ancestralhealth.org/ahs14-program

Here is the title and abstract:

Myopia: A Modern Yet Reversible Disease

Myopia, or near-sightedness, is generally assumed to be an irreversible, genetically determined condition that can only be ameliorated with corrective lenses or surgery. Its prevalence is 30-40% in the U.S. and Europe, and more than 50% in some Asian countries, but it is rare in Africa and in pre-industrial cultures. The incidence of myopia correlates with IQ, school achievement, and industrialization, suggesting that an environmental factor is at work—namely, near-work. This talk will review the biology and epidemiology of myopia and present experimental evidence that myopia can be reversed naturally by specific focusing techniques and practices.

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: My upcoming talk on myopia at AHS 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Thanks, Tom.    I certainly intend to bring up the connection between diet and vision health, especially given the high esteem for Cordain's work within the paleo-inspired Ancestral Health Society.

I hope you won't mind if I rely on some of the other references and commentary that you've compiled in your excellent "compendium" and numerous thoughtful posts on this Forum and your own site.   I truly appreciate what you've contributed to the discussions here.

Todd