Author Topic: Eyesight without glasses  (Read 461091 times)

Offline OtisBrown

Re: Eyesight without glasses
« Reply #735 on: May 26, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »
Hi Proh,
Thanks for the update.  With a small child - this is truly difficult.  Just for my interest, what is her typical reading distance?  4 inches, 8 inches, 12 inches? Small children typically have this "habit" of simply reading at very close distances.  In my judgment, that is how nearsightedness is induced.  But it is truly difficult to stop this habit of the child.
Otis

Hello Otis

Thanks for my motivation . I am planning to keep 1.5 for one more month . I will take my child to doctor at that time & check what officially come & will be better to quantify the change, as that was the reference for her. I feel there is some improvement from last visit.

She doesnot wear plus all the time. It is  not possible to wear always ,as specs is a toy for her . Also she is sharp enough to understand that with specs ( plus ) blur increases so no  immediate motivation .

Proh

Offline PROH

« Reply #736 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:39 AM »
Hello Otis

We always make sure that is not less than 9-10 inches & wears Plus always while reading & writing .
Also I have never noticed her less than 8 inches. The only point is that she is not doing reading it at blur print .

Proh
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:51:10 AM by PROH »

Offline PROH

« Reply #737 on: May 26, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »
My eye sight update

I had gone for check up today & doctor prescribed me following numbers ( same as the one I am using )
R -4.25  -1.00 X40
L  -5.00 -0.75 X140

I had  asked him specially what is my vision with specs, he said that I can go with same glasses .
On asking him again he confirm that my vison with glasses is 6/5 ( which I had measured at home . After 2 weeks of reading at blur & doing eye excersies improvement.)

This make me clear that I am using over correction . I am now going for some reduction in my prescription myself.

Proh

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #738 on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:50 AM »
Hi Proh,

Thanks for that information!  It is all very easy for us to "sit here" and give you advice.  But it is quite something else for you to implement that advice with a 4 year-old child.  I don't think most people realize how truly difficult it is to do it.  Please continue for the next six weeks.  

I know we are all eventually "convinced" by some thing.  I have worked with pilots (at 20/50) - but it is never my "logic", science or facts that "win the day".  Mostly they ignore all of that. But when THEY sit down, and realize that (at 20/50, and -3/4 diopters), they have the possiblity of getting to 20/20 with long-term steady wearing of the plus - they tend to do it.  Obviously this become a "fight" of the person with himself.  If, as a pilot, he must have a positive refractive status, HE WILL KEEP ON DOING THIS - AFTER EVERYONE ELSE WOULD QUIT.

But, to me, this explains why Stirling Colgate (as well as Shadowfoot and Todd) manage to get out of it.  I post these remarks to encourage you to continue. I know that Steve Leung OD, has his own children wearing the plus.  But of course when they keep their distant vision clear (for life) everyone will say - THAT PROVES NOTHING.

Otis

Hello Otis

We always make sure that is not less than 9-10 inches & waers Plus always while reading & writing .
Also I have never notice her less than 8 inches. The only point is that she is not doing reading it at blur print .

Proh

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #739 on: May 26, 2012, 05:59:53 AM »
Hi Proh,
Subject: NO OD is truly interested in what you are doing - it is so difficult to do it.

I am pleased you used a Snellen chart on yourself. The only "thought" of an OD is to make your vision AS SHARP AS POSSIBLE.  The call this, "..prescribing for best visual acuity". They can not conceive of anyone who would want anything less than that.  There is no point in attempting to "argue" with him about this issue.

In the USA, I can check my Snellen, and using two minus lenses, determine the amount of minus it takes to get to the 20/40 line.  If I am able, I can avoid wearing the minus "for near". 

The fact that your child still has 20/50, means there is still hope.  But if you take her to an OD, he will prescribe for "best visual acuity" and tell you that the -1.5 to -2 diopter he will prescribe to her is "perfectly safe" and will wonder why you don't want her to wear it - at all.

I have been in these "coversations" before. It is always a waste of time to engage in them.  Because the OD always gets "up set", and you don't "need that".

Otis

My eye sight update

I had gone for check up today & doctor prescribed me following numbers ( same as the one I am using )
R -4.25  -1.00 X40
L  -5.00 -0.75 X140

I had  asked him specially what is my vision with specs, he said that I can go with same glasses .
On asking him again he confirm that my vison with glasses is 6/5 ( which I had measured at home . After 2 weeks of reading at blur & doing eye excersies improvement.)

This make me clear that I am using over correction . I am now going for some reduction in my prescription myself.

Proh

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #740 on: May 26, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
Proh,

I always "remove" the astigmatism part of a prescription.  It has almost no effect on visual acuity.  If you wish to reduce your prescription SLIGHTLY you can do it this way.

1) Take 1/2 the astigmatism.  (Example -1.00 x 40 degrees).  That makes it -1/2 diopter.  Ignore the 40 degrees - it means little.)
2) Add it to the R -4.25
3) That makes your prescription -4.75 diopters.

This will probably give you 20/20 to better-than 20/20.

If you wish a "reduced" prescription, just order a -4.00 lens.  That will still give you 20/40 on your Snellen. (My estimate).

A -4 diopers means that, with no lens, you can probably see clearly at 10 inches - perhaps out to 14 inches.  (Check this yourself.)

This is advice I WOULD FOLLOW MYSELF. For driving, just keep your old minus glasses.

In the USA it is very easy to get glasses from Zennioptical.com  You need your "PD", but that is just the separation of your two eyes.

Otis

R -4.25  -1.00 X40
L  -5.00 -0.75 X140

Offline PROH

« Reply #741 on: May 26, 2012, 11:35:17 PM »
Hi  Otis

I had already given the order for under correction yesterday. Now I  has got a new pair of glasses . I had gone a higher reduction than you suggested , as I want to try Plus thearpy & PVS.

I have gone with following
R = 3.0 -0.5 X40
L = 3.5 - 0.5 X140

Reduction may be on higher side .

I have check my vison at home & it is now with above glasses.
R = 20/70
L = 20/60
Both 20/50 ( nearly ) . I feel its good enough for all tasks except driving. I have not felt any issues with these glasses outside . I don't drive on week days & spent 7-8 hours on pc .
For driving  on weekends I will be using my old pair .

From Left eye ( -5) I can read clearly till 9 inches & from Right ( -4.25) upto 12 inches

Thanks for your support

Proh

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:03:17 AM by PROH »

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #742 on: May 27, 2012, 04:48:07 AM »
Hi Proh,

I truly know how frustrating this process is.  Since you have taken the bold step to reduce your prescription, I think you will be able to help your child with the plus.  This is what I did for my nephew - and what he did for himself. (The truly bright person was Keith - not me.) He just completed another college course.  He again said that when he did school work, it again got "blurry out there" and restarted his wearing of a +2 for all college work.  He is now over 40 years old - and he has been doing this preventive work (when necessary) since the age of 14.  (So it can be done.)  No OD was involved - except for the wise OD who called the minus, POISON.

Let me add this commentary:

Proh> From Left eye ( -5) I can read clearly till 9 inches & from Right ( -4.25) upto 12 inches

Otis> This is a good way to estimate your refractive status.  Thus -4.25 is consistent with naked-eye vision at 12 inches.

Proh> Thanks for your support

Hi  Otis

I had already given the order for under correction yesterday. Now I  has got a new pair of glasses . I had gone a higher reduction than you suggested , as I want to try Plus thearpy & PVS.

I have gone with following
R = 3.0 -0.5 X40
L = 3.5 - 0.5 X140

Reduction may be on higher side .

I have check my vison at home & it is now with above glasses.
R = 20/70
L = 20/60
Both 20/50 ( nearly ) . I feel its good enough for all tasks except driving. I have not felt any issues with these glasses outside . I don't drive on week days & spent 7-8 hours on pc .
For driving  on weekends I will be using my old pair .

From Left eye ( -5) I can read clearly till 9 inches & from Right ( -4.25) upto 12 inches

Thanks for your support

Proh

Offline PROH

« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
Hi Todd

I have my left eye weaker than right .
R -4.25  -1.00 X40
L  -5.00 -0.75 X140

In you past posts you had suggested to keep a paper on one glass to block strong eye but allow some light to that eye & read from other weaker one.

I try to read with weak minus glasses with a piece of paper on right eye glass to block it. This usually end my a stress on right eye with nothing on left from which I was reading . I close my right eye with hand & then read from left I do n't have any stress.
Did you observed anything similar .  Any suggestion which is a good way to train weak eye.

Proh

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
Hi Todd

I have my left eye weaker than right .
R -4.25  -1.00 X40
L  -5.00 -0.75 X140

In you past posts you had suggested to keep a paper on one glass to block strong eye but allow some light to that eye & read from other weaker one.

I try to read with weak minus glasses with a piece of paper on right eye glass to block it. This usually end my a stress on right eye with nothing on left from which I was reading . I close my right eye with hand & then read from left I do n't have any stress.
Did you observed anything similar .  Any suggestion which is a good way to train weak eye.

Proh

Proh,

Sorry for the delayed response to your question.  As I understand it, you are using paper as a light diffuser, attached to the lens of your strong eye -- which in your case is your right eye.  The advantage of using a diffuser is that it still allows some light to enter the strong eye, so that the iris can remain adjusted to the light.  By contrast, if you completely block the strong eye with your hand or a patch, the iris will open wide, but will be temporarily sensitive to light and will take time to readjust when you remove the patch.  I've also tried "winking" the strong eye shut, but I can do this only for a few minutes before it becomes tiring.  My experience is that using the diffuser leaves your eyes feeling more balanced and rested.  Another option is to hold your hand or a piece of paper at a 45 degree angle from your nose in front of your strong eye, so that light still enters the strong eye, but it can't see what's ahead other than an out-of-focus surface (your hand or the paper).  Your visual system will adjust so that you appear to "see through" your hand or the piece of paper to whatever you are reading or looking at with your uncovered weak eye.  The hand or paper becomes "invisible".

However, it seems that you are finding the use of the paper diffuser to be more "stressful" that blocking your right eye with your hand.  If that works better for you, it's fine.  It's just a matter of personal preference, so do whatever is most comfortable for you.  The essential element is to make the weak eye do the work, and stop getting a "free ride" from the strong eye.

Hope that answers your question.

Todd
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:21:33 PM by Todd Becker »

Offline PROH

« Reply #745 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:32 AM »
Thanks Todd

for your suggestion.

Proh

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #746 on: June 16, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
ASTIGMATISM: Why Astigmatism is pure "cosmetic" and absolutely NOT NECESSARY.  Here is the video of a "trial lens frame", and the man showing how he checks "Cyl)' or astigmatism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_BzQGLflDA&feature=related

In other videos, I show you how to "reduce" a prescription from cylinder to simplified "Spherical Equivalent."

Since, as in this video, the TWO EYES WORK TOGETHER, any Cyl, will cancel out.  Further, almost all normal eyes can produce 20/20 vision with a simple "spherical" lens.

Here is how you do the conversion to "pure spherical" - if you order your own lenses.

Prescription:

OD (Right eye) -1 D (Sph) -1 (Cyl) 45 (Axis) 60 PD

Conversion to pure sphere:  Take 1/2 the Cyl, and add it to the sphere. The result:

OD Right eye) -1.5 (Sphere Eq)  PD 60

This will work for prescriptions up to 2 D (Cyl).

While opinions may vary - this is what I do to resolve this issue.

As always - I check these results with my own Snellen and trial lens set.

Thanks!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »
For those of an academic mind - here is a video on the operation of a "Phoropter" - trial-lenses.  It is indeed excessively complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5yvePa0U0&feature=related

But all the "actions" are spelled out.  But ODs go BLIND to the issue of prevention when the "sit behind" this Phoropter.

This is why I advocate, that AFTER you get a "prescription" you go home to your own Snellen, read it and find out EXACTLY what line you read. (It takes time and skill to take this degree of responsibility. 

Please note that the person SITTING IN THE CHAIR - as no idea what the hell is going on.  It is my purpose to change that situation.

When I "do it" at home - there is no " 1 better, 2 better". It is a matter of finding a simple minus that "just clears" the 20/20 line for you. This is the action of a intellectually competent person. Here is my simplified video of this "similar" process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWqsnIYsLQ8&feature=g-upl

I believe in EDUCATED PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.  This is what I believe must be part of a preventive process for pilots who start at 20/50 - and have the strong desire to get to 20/20 - on their own.

Thanks!

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
To be complete.

Of all the "screwed up" measurements made in optometry - the "Cyl." or "Astigmatism" is the WORST.  This is why I check with ONLY spherical lenses.  In this video the put a "Cyl" lens in the frame and "spin it".  But you be the judge.  This indeed is a rickety set-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yB90F8zrow

For me, I say you only need two "test" minus lenses and the wisdom to use them with your own Snellen chart.  But it does take "educated wisdom" to do it.

Thanks!

ASTIGMATISM: Why Astigmatism is pure "cosmetic" and absolutely NOT NECESSARY.  Here is the video of a "trial lens frame", and the man showing how he checks "Cyl)' or astigmatism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_BzQGLflDA&feature=related

In other videos, I show you how to "reduce" a prescription from cylinder to simplified "Spherical Equivalent."

Since, as in this video, the TWO EYES WORK TOGETHER, any Cyl, will cancel out.  Further, almost all normal eyes can produce 20/20 vision with a simple "spherical" lens.

Here is how you do the conversion to "pure spherical" - if you order your own lenses.

Prescription:

OD (Right eye) -1 D (Sph) -1 (Cyl) 45 (Axis) 60 PD

Conversion to pure sphere:  Take 1/2 the Cyl, and add it to the sphere. The result:

OD Right eye) -1.5 (Sphere Eq)  PD 60

This will work for prescriptions up to 2 D (Cyl).

While opinions may vary - this is what I do to resolve this issue.

As always - I check these results with my own Snellen and trial lens set.

Thanks!

Offline PROH

« Reply #749 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
Hello Otis

I have a small question regarding reduing the cylinderical to equivalent spherical
I have following prescription

L = -5.0D SPH -1.0 X45 CYL
R = -4.25 SPH -0.75X135 CYL

so my equivalent will be .

L = -5.5D SPH
R = -4.75 SPH ( nearly )

So If I go for above glasses I will have same acuity as I have with my actual prescription

Proh