Author Topic: Eyesight without glasses  (Read 461093 times)

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
Re: Eyesight without glasses
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
I have thrown out my prescription glasses away two weeks ago. I never want to wear corrected glasses again and I think my vision is good enough not to wear them at all.  

Congratulations, srlaserguy!

Just by not wearing glasses at all, and making sure to intentionally focus on objects near and far throughout the day, your eyes will continue to improve.  But I still recommend that you keep one particular pair of glasses:  a pair of weak plus lenses (+1 or +1.25) to use when you are reading for long, extended periods of time.  Use them a few times a week to keep your eyes "tuned up", or to jog them back into shape whenever you feel your eyesight could stand a little sharpening.

I see the occasional use of plus lenses not as a weakness or loss of freedom, but as a prophylatic way of staying in shape, like regular visits to the gym.

Good luck and enjoy your newfound freedom. 

Todd

Offline jansen

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to discuss reading at the edge of blur, which I guess means reading at the point where the letters are almost unreadable. Has anyone ever tried this vs. reading at the edge of focus like normal?

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to discuss reading at the edge of blur, which I guess means reading at the point where the letters are almost unreadable. Has anyone ever tried this vs. reading at the edge of focus like normal?

Hi Jansen,

Good question - a fairly sophisticated one.  So I can tell you are putting a lot of thought into this.  It might be good for you to first puzzle this out and write down your guess before you read my answer.  

Let us distinguish three distances:

D1. The 'edge of focus' which we'll define as the furthest distance for myope (or closest for a hyperope) where a printed letter is completely in focus
D2. The 'edge of blur' which we'll define as the distance just beyond the edge of focus, where a slight blur in the letter can just be detected
D3. The 'edge of readability' which we'll define as the furthest distance where you can intelligibly recognize what the letter is.

Now D1 and D2 are going to be VERY close, almost exactly the same distance. If you are reading at D1, and you push the print slightly away less than an inch, you are immediately at D2. And if you are at D2 and get the tiniest distance closer, you are back at D1 again.

But D3 (which is what I think you are calling "the edge of blur", but is really beyond that) might be a fair distance away, perhaps even several inches (for small letters) or several feet (for large letters).  And D3 will also depend on your familiarity with the letters and the language.  You can "guess" a blurry word like "eye" because you know the English language, whereas if it is a word in a different language you might not be able to read it.  So D3 depends on the size of the letters and your ability to recognize the letters and words.  D3 depends upon your brain, not your eyes. You might be able to read a very blurry version of the word "eye" and guess it, whereas a non-English speaker might guess the wrong letters.

To get the benefit of plus lenses, your eyes must be working "automatically" to try to focus, so they must be able to detect the direction of defocus, that is, whether the blur is caused by being too close or too far.  Your eyes detect this defocus right within the retina -- the back of your eye.  This detection process does not involve your higher brain functions that are involved in word recognition or trying to guess what a word means.  So you must allow the eye itself to detect the defocus.

Therefore, ideally your focal distance should be at D2 -- the edge of blur. This should be the slightest blur detectable, and it is even OK to move back and forth between D1 and D2 to keep "testing" this distance.  If you go beyond D2 to D3 (the edge of readability), you are now at a place where your brain is doing the work of guessing, but the focus detection system in your retina is no longer able to detect the direction of defocus. It's not just that the eye muscles and lens "give up" trying to focus, its also that you lose any stimulus for change of the structural tissue around the focal plane at the back of your eye (the retina).  So your eye gets no information about how it needs to change.

I hope this explanation makes sense and is not too complex. Let me know if it does not seem clear to you and I'll try to do better.  But it is an excellent question you asked, because to answer the question you really have to understand what is happening in the eye.

Todd

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:37:06 AM by Todd Becker »

Offline Rajeev

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
Hello,

That was a very good explanation by Todd of distinction between edge of focus, blur and edge of readability. 

Since I started this plus lens therapy i have been occasionally reading at D3 and i would like to share my experience. 
I had a power of -4.5R/-3.75L and the current power of glasses is -4R/-3.25L.  I have reduced minus glasses (-2.5R/-1.75L) for reading, with which i read at D1 to D2.  However, occasionally i do read without my glasses at D2 and sometimes D3.  But I would like to say that the bluriness i see is not simple as was simulated in the site Jansen had put up in the earlier posts.  It just doesnt diffuse out till i cannot see, it blurs and then creates a couple of images on top of each other some of which are sharper.  At some right distance just less than D3 i can see a sharper image of letters on a blury background, as was first pointed out by Todd.  I read looking at these. These images of letters appear real and it doesnt seem that my brain is interpreting them and i am imagining it.  However this could be possible as Todd points out.
Reading at just less than D3 cannot be done for a long time, maybe a couple of minutes, after which it becomes difficult.
BTW, the tight blinking does suddenly clear up letters for a few seconds.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »
If i read at edge of blur (we discussed this earlier too) i can see a clear image over a diffuse image. blinking moves this clear image around and sometimes it vanishes and then reappears. this does not happen if i am just near focus.

Since I started this plus lens therapy i have been occasionally reading at D3 and i would like to share my experience. 
I had a power of -4.5R/-3.75L and the current power of glasses is -4R/-3.25L.  I have reduced minus glasses (-2.5R/-1.75L) for reading, with which i read at D1 to D2.  However, occasionally i do read without my glasses at D2 and sometimes D3.  But I would like to say that the bluriness i see is not simple as was simulated in the site Jansen had put up in the earlier posts.  It just doesnt diffuse out till i cannot see, it blurs and then creates a couple of images on top of each other some of which are sharper.  At some right distance just less than D3 i can see a sharper image of letters on a blury background, as was first pointed out by Todd.  I read looking at these. These images of letters appear real and it doesnt seem that my brain is interpreting them and i am imagining it.  However this could be possible as Todd points out.
Reading at just less than D3 cannot be done for a long time, maybe a couple of minutes, after which it becomes difficult.
BTW, the tight blinking does suddenly clear up letters for a few seconds.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Rajeev,

Congratulations - your progress so far is impressive, and you've got the dedication it takes to make this work!

I'm also excited to see you are experiencing the same exact phenomenon I experienced: the superposition of a distinct, clear image over a blurry one.  For me, this was an "eye opening" insight (no pun intended). I saw this combined image separately in each eye, so I know that it was not caused by one eye being in focus and the other blurred.  And I assume this is the same thing you are finding, Rajeev.

This is an important observation, because it cannot be explained merely by change in the eye muscles or the ability of the eye to accomodate.  It means that the eye must be detecting focus in different planes within the retina; in other words, the light sensitive cells in the retina are not all contained within a very narrow plane, but distribute themselves over a certain distance or thickness.  According to the IRDT theory, when stimulated by an in-focus image, the eye will grow and change shape in order to bring more of the retina's photosensitive cells (rods and cones) into the well-focused zone.  If this theory is correct, it predicts that the more you look at this combined sharp-blurry double image, the stronger the sharp image will become, and the weaker the blurry image will become.  And that is exactly what happened to me.  Eventually the blurry image faded away and I saw only the sharp image.  This happened over a matter of months.

So I think this is exciting for you, Rajeev.  Stick with it and see if you find the sharp image getting stronger with time.

In the case of these double images, it gets trickier to interpret what we mean by D1, D2 and D3.  When you are in fact getting double images where you can clearly and sharply make out the letters, and you are not guessing, I would use those sharp images to define D1 and D2, and ignore the blurry double image.  Again, so long as this is comfortable and you don't feel you are straining, I see no reason not to do this...and it may actually speed up your progress.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else out that has experience the double images and the progressive improvement in sharpening that Rajeev and I have described.  This may be something we need to think more about.

Todd

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
For Janesn who is working with the plus, and others who are interested in Engineering/Science.
I like to review and summarize a method that is being used by parents to help their children avoid entry into "negative status" for their natural eyes.  Todd and I both believe in this concept, but it is well to re-state the concept this way, specifically for parents.
You can select the "slow-speed" version, or the animation discussion.  This was created by an engineer, but is it identical to the judgment and opinion of an ophthalmologist.  Success does depend, hoever, on the motivation of the person himself (working with his own Snellen) to get his visual acuity back to normal.
http://www.preventmyopia.org/animation.html
Thanks for taking the time to review this "new" concept of true-prevention.  If you have some additional suggestions or commentary to help Jansen with this work, and with this video, feel free to add them to this post.  Otis

Offline jansen

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
Thank you for the explanation! I would like to note that I too have experienced the sharp-blurry double image when reading at the "edge of readability." I have noticed that if I blink hard at D3, I sometimes experience this phenomenon. 

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »
Hi Jansen,
I am pleased that you are able to identify these "focus" points, and use them as you systematically use the plus to gradually clear your Snellen under your control.
++++++++++
D1. The 'edge of focus' which we'll define as the furthest distance for myope (or closest for a hyperope) where a printed letter is completely in focus
D2. The 'edge of blur' which we'll define as the distance just beyond the edge of focus, where a slight blur in the letter can just be detected
D3. The 'edge of readability' which we'll define as the furthest distance where you can intelligibly recognize what the letter is.
+++++++++
I think it is great that, starting at the 20/80 to 20/70 range (about -1.5 diopters), you are now able to read some letters on the 20/50 line -- after about two months of work, using the plus for maximum effectiveness.  I am certain we will all learn from your experience and success.  I hope others can follow your leadership with this difficult work.  Otis

Thank you for the explanation! I would like to note that I too have experienced the sharp-blurry double image when reading at the "edge of readability." I have noticed that if I blink hard at D3, I sometimes experience this phenomenon. 

Offline Rajeev

« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2011, 04:46:45 AM »

Hello Todd,

I had a few questions for you.

I had read earlier that you reduced your number from -3D.  Could you specifically tell me

1.  while you were using the plus lens did you wear glasses of reduced power?
2.  if so, by how much did you undercorrect each time?
3.  how much time did it take to see improvement and for you to move on to the next lower power of glasses?
4.  at what age did you start this?
5.  after how many months/years did you come to 20/20 vision?

If anyone who had a higher power could also answer these questions for their condition it would help.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Offline srlaserguy

« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
Todd thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I plan to use my +1 glasses for my 8 hours of computer work I do each day. I see the use of the +1 lenses as the same as using braces to straighten teeth.  Both applied apply mild stress to improve the body. So anti-corrected lenses are braces for the eyes and a valuable tool.

Offline Rajeev

« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
Hi Another question,

Todd had earlier mentioned the hard blinking technique.
When I blink hard (squeeze eye and open),  i sometimes suddenly see the letters on the snellen chart very clearly for a few seconds and then goes away.
This is a very interesting phenomenon.  Also sometimes after few such hard blinks, if i stare at the chart for about 10 seconds the letters clear up and then becomes blurred after next blink.
why does this happen?  do the cilliary muscles stretch the lens and reduce its curvature or does the eye ball change shape momentarily?
why i ask is this, if the myopia is due to eyeball elongation then the momentary flattening of the lens is beyond what the relaxed state of the lens is. 
I fear this hard blinking may be harmful?   
Otis / Todd any hints?

Rajeev

Offline OtisBrown

« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
Hi Rajeev,
Subject:  WHY the minus is a "poor idea", and WHY "self-experimentation" is necessary
Re:  The natural eye is RESPONSIVE to changes in its average value of accommodation.
You "fear" that "hard blinking" will hurt your eyes.  I fear that if I start wearing a minus lens -- that will destroy my vision.  We all have fears, but here is the scientific reason why I fear the minus lens, when used in an "office".

This is proven by the effect of a -3 diopter lens on the natural eye:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wildsoet/images/neg_lens_induce_myopia.swf

AFTER a child CREATES a negative STATE for his natural eyes, a minus lens is applied (with the best of intentions), this is the result --
as described by Optometrist Soon See.

Everyone can learn and understand this (un-desired) secondary effect.

http://myopiafree.i-see.org/soonicansee/index.html
I know it is hard to accept PERSONAL responsibility to clear yoiur Snellen to normal, but if you wish to avoid the minus, then that is what is necessary in my opinion.  Otis

Hi Another question,

Todd had earlier mentioned the hard blinking technique.
When I blink hard (squeeze eye and open),  i sometimes suddenly see the letters on the snellen chart very clearly for a few seconds and then goes away.
This is a very interesting phenomenon.  Also sometimes after few such hard blinks, if i stare at the chart for about 10 seconds the letters clear up and then becomes blurred after next blink.
why does this happen?  do the cilliary muscles stretch the lens and reduce its curvature or does the eye ball change shape momentarily?
why i ask is this, if the myopia is due to eyeball elongation then the momentary flattening of the lens is beyond what the relaxed state of the lens is. 
I fear this hard blinking may be harmful?   
Otis / Todd any hints?

Rajeev

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »

Hello Todd,

I had a few questions for you.

I had read earlier that you reduced your number from -3D.  Could you specifically tell me

1.  while you were using the plus lens did you wear glasses of reduced power?
2.  if so, by how much did you undercorrect each time?
3.  how much time did it take to see improvement and for you to move on to the next lower power of glasses?
4.  at what age did you start this?
5.  after how many months/years did you come to 20/20 vision?

If anyone who had a higher power could also answer these questions for their condition it would help.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Hi Rajeev,

What I did is not necessarily what I would advise others to do.  But since you asked:

I started wearing glasses when I was 16 and my prescriptions kept increasing through college and my 20's.  I'm now 54 years old.  About ten years ago, I just stopped using my -3D glass cold turkey, except for driving.  Initially, my eyesight began to improve just by the mere fact of not using glasses at all for reading or safe activities around the house.  Then I discovered plus lenses by reading Brian Severson's booklet "Vision Freedom".  I bought some +1.5 lenses and worked tirelessly at improving by vision by using them religiously while reading, using the "print pushing" methods I advocate here, and that Otis and Brian developed.  I also practiced a lot just seeing how far I could focus on common objects in the house or on walks around the neighborhood without ANY glasses.  After about six months of this, I stopped wearing glasses when driving on the open road, where there was not a lot of traffic and I found this extremely helpful in improving my vision.  After a year, my vision was good enough to read license plates ten car lengths ahead and see distant road signs. I went to the DMV and got my optical restriction removed.  I do not know exactly what my Snellen was back then, but I passed.  Today I'm 20/20 in the right eye and 20/40 in the left -- which allows me to see 20/20 in both eyes.  On a really good day, I can see 20/15, but not consistently.  I'm still working on improving the left eye.

I'm not recommending the cold turkey approach or driving with less than perfect eyesight. For anyone trying this, I would recommend a more gradual approach, unless you are hard headed and extremely determined and disciplined.  But I'm telling you that this is the way I did it.

Todd

Offline tyse

« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »
Hello there,                                                                                                                                                                                        I have been wearing glasses for over 20 years now my current prescription is :

R-4.50 -0.50x170 
L-4.75-0.50x005

If undercorrecting this prescription what would you suggest?

Also my 6 yr old daughter's eyes are getting a little weaker. What can I do to prevent her from having to wear glasses.

Thanks

Offline Todd Becker

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
Hello there,                                                                                                                                                                                        I have been wearing glasses for over 20 years now my current prescription is :

R-4.50 -0.50x170  
L-4.75-0.50x005

If undercorrecting this prescription what would you suggest?

Also my 6 yr old daughter's eyes are getting a little weaker. What can I do to prevent her from having to wear glasses.

Thanks

tyse,

Your myopia is quite strong, so realize that it will take significant time and effort to see improvement.  You have to make a commitment.

I would suggest reducing your prescription by either 0.25 diopters; leave the astigmatism correction alone for now. So you could start with

-4.25 -0.50x170  
L-4.50-0.50x005

When you are at the computer or reading, you won't need any plus lenses with your strong prescription; just try sitting as far away from the book or computer as you can while reading sharp text, just on the "edge of blur".  If that term is unfamiliar, read through the past several pages of posts on this forum and I think you'll get the idea.

Once you can read sharp text on the 20/20 line of a Snellen chart with your undercorrected glasses, you can reduce by another 0.25 to 0.5 diopters off each lens and continue reductions as you progress.

Regarding your daughter, read comments #85 and #86 after my article on plus lenses:
http://gettingstronger.org/2010/07/improve-eyesight-and-throw-away-your-glasses/comment-page-1/#comment-1808

Good luck,

Todd
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:49:07 PM by Todd Becker »